Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2012, 21:59   #2896
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Need advice in getting a faulty Fridge replaced

Quote:
Originally Posted by shubhamAT View Post
Also, when buying a fridge/ac don't wait for 1 hour, as i did (as the delivery guy says), before switching it on. Test it out in front of the delivery guy and only when every thing is in order sign on the delivery challan.
There is a point to that wait, which you can find in many, if not all, fridge manuals. An engineer explained it to me, once, and it something to do with letting the lubricant in the compressor settle. I may have the details wrong, but I was assured that not letting the thing settle in is very bad for it. Most delivery guys do not know this, and are all to keen to switch on right away.

I learnt this when buying a new office fridge. IT Manager ...obviously responsible for kitchen equipment, right? OK, to be fair, they knew I was a shopoholic and would enjoy it
Old 4th June 2012, 23:38   #2897
BHPian

Re: Need advice in getting a faulty Fridge replaced

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
There is a point to that wait, which you can find in many, if not all, fridge manuals. An engineer explained it to me, once, and it something to do with letting the lubricant in the compressor settle. I may have the details wrong, but I was assured that not letting the thing settle in is very bad for it. Most delivery guys do not know this, and are all to keen to switch on right away.

I learnt this when buying a new office fridge. IT Manager ...obviously responsible for kitchen equipment, right? OK, to be fair, they knew I was a shopoholic and would enjoy it
Well, the current fridge's manual does not mention this. Any way 1 hour looks too long for anything to settle down. May be 5-10 mins should be ok. Idea here is that if there is a problem it better be detected as early as possible and good if that happens in front of the delivery guys.
Old 5th June 2012, 15:57   #2898
BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread / Ceiling Fans

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post
Need to buy 10 ceiling fans for a flat in the making. Havells is advertising their energy efficient fans with 1200- 1400 mms, 50 W consumption.. confused!! Want some advise and guidelines on buying Ceiling fans, any information on the energy saving part wold be useful.

Thanks,

--Ramky
=====
It all depends on where you live. If the place has high heat like chennai and hyd, it need higher cfm fan. Crompton Greaves High speed is the best I have come across. Just for curiosity I even purchased Havells but its not the same league as CG high speed fans.
Old 5th June 2012, 16:18   #2899
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaycool View Post
It all depends on where you live. If the place has high heat like chennai and hyd, it need higher cfm fan. Crompton Greaves High speed is the best I have come across. Just for curiosity I even purchased Havells but its not the same league as CG high speed fans.
What exactly is cfm?
Old 5th June 2012, 16:34   #2900
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
What exactly is cfm?
cfm : Cubic Feet Per Minute : Volume Flow Rate Through Fans
Old 5th June 2012, 19:12   #2901
BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

i am referring to this fan
http://www.cgglobal.com/frontend/cp_... =2IN/Zx+UXp8=

Last edited by vijaycool : 5th June 2012 at 19:13.
Old 5th June 2012, 22:15   #2902
BHPian

Quote:
Need to buy 10 ceiling fans for a flat in the making. Havells is advertising their energy efficient fans with 1200- 1400 mms, 50 W consumption.. confused!! Want some advise and guidelines on buying Ceiling fans, any information on the energy saving part wold be useful.
Do not buy Havells. I bought two for my flat and within 3 months, one was making a noise like a grinder & the other though not that loud is definitely not quiet either (I am yet to get them rectified). In my previous flat, we had three 12 year old Orients with not even a whisper of sound. I would strongly suggest go for Orient.
Old 5th June 2012, 22:23   #2903
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsejars View Post
Do not buy Havells. I bought two for my flat and within 3 months, one was making a noise like a grinder & the other though not that loud is definitely not quiet either (I am yet to get them rectified). In my previous flat, we had three 12 year old Orients with not even a whisper of sound. I would strongly suggest go for Orient.
hsejars: Thanks for the information, I will include the old timer fans like Orient, CG etc., into the evaluation now.

@ Vijaycool, lambuhere1 & carboy: Thanks for the inputs. Looks like Havells is not as good as it appears to be.

--Ramky
--------
Old 6th June 2012, 07:37   #2904
Senior - BHPian

Need suggestions.

I will be shifting residence soon and wanted to know what could be the general charges for shifting the Samsung split AC. I was told it would cost Rs 3000/- for the same by Samsung service centre in Thane. Is this the correct cost. I could get it done by an AC repair/service centre at a lesser cost but would it OK if I get it done from 3rd party instead of Samsug? Will there be any post installation issues?
Old 6th June 2012, 11:12   #2905
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Need suggestions.

I will be shifting residence soon and wanted to know what could be the general charges for shifting the Samsung split AC. I was told it would cost Rs 3000/- for the same by Samsung service centre in Thane. Is this the correct cost. I could get it done by an AC repair/service centre at a lesser cost but would it OK if I get it done from 3rd party instead of Samsug? Will there be any post installation issues?
@Hyderabad
I paid 1,500 rupees to Samsung for shifting my AC in 2010 December.
The guy who shifted it had left his mobile number with me. So when I shifted again in April this year, I called him.

He had quit Samsung and was working independent.
I paid him the same to shift it to my new home.
Old 6th June 2012, 11:21   #2906
BANNED

My LG Window Airconditioner Remote has got spoilt(because I didn't use it for a long time - the battery was in and it leaked).

So my questions are
- can it be repaired - is it worth repairing
- Do I need to get a new remote from LG or can it be got from any shop?
Old 6th June 2012, 11:29   #2907
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
My LG Window Airconditioner Remote has got spoilt(because I didn't use it for a long time - the battery was in and it leaked).

So my questions are
Depends on how extensive is the damage. If it is confined to the battery box, and terminals then using a cotton bud and some solvent and water you may be able to rescue it.

Otherwise I am afraid it will have to be a new remote - preferably from LG.
Old 6th June 2012, 17:29   #2908
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy
At least in Delhi, there are dedicated repairers who take care of remotes of all kinds, from TVs to ACs to DVD players and anything else. Costs Rs.50 to Rs.300, and works as good as new.

They also sell compatible remotes, but never tried these.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 6th June 2012 at 17:30.
Old 7th June 2012, 18:11   #2909
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The problem is that till the last decade fans were made in India. They were good and robust and would last at least 40 years without any trouble. I have fans which are 40 years old running without any problems, while the fifteen year old pieces have had a couple of rewinding done.

Today the scene is different. Most of the fans sold are of Chinese origin, just stamped with the seller's name. In case you want a long lasting fan look for the following.

. Double ball bearing, that is one at each end of the shaft. Cheaper ones have sleeve bearing which will give up soon
. Copper winding. You will be surprised at the number of fans that come with Aluminum winding. Copper is at least five times as expensive, so expect fans with copper winding to be priced quite high.
. Written warranty with replacement in the first six months.
Old 8th June 2012, 03:01   #2910
Senior - BHPian

I bought a couple of Havells myself and they are going pretty strong since last 2 years now, this being the third summer of usage.

You may want to contact Havell's toll free complaint number and the company will send out a technician to set things right. I have used this service myself for Crabtree switches that I bought from them nearly 5 odd years ago and they were pretty quick to respond.

Quote:
Quote:
hsejars: Thanks for the information, I will include the old timer fans like Orient, CG etc., into the evaluation now.

@ Vijaycool, lambuhere1 & carboy: Thanks for the inputs. Looks like Havells is not as good as it appears to be.

--Ramky
--------

In our house all of the bedrooms have Usha fans which are of the same vintage as that mentioned by you. Their regulators though have not lasted and have been since been replaced but the fans soldier on quietly and efficiently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
The problem is that till the last decade fans were made in India. They were good and robust and would last at least 40 years without any trouble. I have fans which are 40 years old running without any problems, while the fifteen year old pieces have had a couple of rewinding done.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks