Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2012, 13:49   #2971
BANNED

Re: The Home Appliance thread

I am in the market for a Dishwasher. I had zeroed in on Faber, they took ages and the model on offer now does not have an auto restart. Expecting to get three hours of power in Kanpur is living in fool's paradise. I will not go for IFB or Samsung as the service is poor. Any suggestions?
Old 19th July 2012, 13:54   #2972
Senior - BHPian

Re: Need advice in getting a faulty Fridge replaced

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeshsundaram View Post
Welcome to the "Ticket Closed club" mate. I too faced that situation. Got my ticket closed when I asked them to replace a blown circuit board in my Home Inverter. That too, I was willing to pay. Whirlpool is kind of pathetic in their service now a days. It takes many phone calls to get their service guy visit your place. And more, your ticket will be closed automatically without your consent. .

This is one reason why I am staying away from whirlpool for my washing machine purchase.
It is very difficult to get the service guy visit the place. I had to go through closed tickets and multiple calls to get some one visit our place for our refrigerator. I also intend to stay away from whirlpool for my washing machine purchase.

The refrigerator compressor had to be replaced after serving for 7 years. The technician says it lasts for maximum eight years - which is less in my opinion. It seems consumer durables are sold nowadays to make money on replacements and service.

Last edited by PatienceWins : 19th July 2012 at 14:03.
Old 19th July 2012, 15:02   #2973
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
Main requirement - Need to clean the collars and cuffs without me pre brushing or scrubbing . Also need to clean the pants decently .
In other words, you want your washing machine to wash clean.

Not unreasonable: that is what you are paying quite a lot of money for. However, the actual results can be as much to do with the powder as the machine itself. I found this out (actually with the help of this thread!) after wondering why my expensive Bosch didn't work as well here as it had done in London.

Stubborn stains can be helped on their way by adding Vanish to the wash. If really bad, or to spruce up dull whites, you can even do a Vanish pre-wash. One time, this even resulted in our ironing lady asking how on earth we had got our whites so clean. It was like staring in a TV commercial!
Old 19th July 2012, 15:10   #2974
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I am in the market for a Dishwasher. I had zeroed in on Faber, they took ages and the model on offer now does not have an auto restart. Expecting to get three hours of power in Kanpur is living in fool's paradise. I will not go for IFB or Samsung as the service is poor. Any suggestions?
Kaff and Siemens also have. Recently Bosch has launched its range of dishwashers in india.
Old 19th July 2012, 15:25   #2975
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
In other words, you want your washing machine to wash clean.

Stubborn stains can be helped on their way by adding Vanish to the wash.
Thanks . Thad what machine you have ?.Your small review on that please . So its vanish + other detergent ?
Old 19th July 2012, 16:05   #2976
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Kaff and Siemens also have. Recently Bosch has launched its range of dishwashers in india.
Seems that Bosch and Siemens are more of a badging exercise, and are from the same firm. Have managed to track down and contact the dealer. He is in my Rotary as well.
Old 19th July 2012, 16:29   #2977
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks . Thad what machine you have ?.Your small review on that please . So its vanish + other detergent ?
LG, now. I guess you can find my buying experience somewhere on this thread. Rats destroyed my UK Bosch.

My big problem with the LG was vibration and taking a walk, despite careful leveling, which the installation guys know nothing about. I seem to have solved this by putting squares of some black stuff under the feet. Unfortunately, I don't know what the black stuff is called: it was originally bought by engineer to counter vibration when mounting a pump on the concrete floor.

Even though I've solved the problem, it really should not happen, and would put me off recommending LG or buying it again.
Old 19th July 2012, 16:38   #2978
BHPian

Quote:
There is an LG model as well. Please see if that fits the bill.

I personally have nothing bad to say about the service from IFB in Lucknow or Bangalore. Not sure about Kanpur though.
Old 19th July 2012, 16:55   #2979
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Saw Panasonic Refrigerator 290L in person yesterday. Was impressed with the looks and overall quality. But wife was not at all impressed by virtually non existent space for storing water bottles. Back to square one.

Thinking to checking out Godrej (they claim to be the only manufacturer having 5* rated models per new March 2012 norms), Whirlpool and LG.
Old 19th July 2012, 19:07   #2980
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Seems that Bosch and Siemens are more of a badging exercise, and are from the same firm. Have managed to track down and contact the dealer. He is in my Rotary as well.
Relatives of ours recently bought a Siemens or Bosch (can't recall which) dishwasher several months ago and are quite happy with it. In fact I dissuaded them from going for IFB.

Our old Videocon washing machine started to exhibit a problem for the first time in well over a decade. Some super sticky stuff was dribbling down on the floor below. Called Videocon service and was impressed. Got an SMS with complaint number on discnnecting the call and ithin 5 mins of calling them, I get a call from their local service guy and takes an appointment to come in the next 30 - 45 mins. Lands here in less than 45 mins. The stuff is diagnosed to be melting plastic from below the PCB which is right below the touch panel in front of the machine. The guy recommends changing the PCB but said they are not currently available. I asked him to order. He calls up his boss and places an order. Within 3 days he calls me back that the part is sourced. However, since the machine still works as it should, we weren't keen on spending some 3k on such an old machine. I told him I'll get back to him in a day. I didn't and didn't Next day received an SMS that the complaint was closed and also received an SMS querying if I was satisfied.

Pretty good service that! Can't comment on their current products though. The fact that they still source parts for such old products is worth applauding.

What remains unexplained is how the plastic below the PCB (apparently not part of the machine body) has melted to the point of liquefying and dripping out of the holes. Service guy said its because of the heat. But then why did it not melt for well over a decade? No answers! I just hope using it as it is isn't going to cause any issues...

Last edited by Raccoon : 19th July 2012 at 19:09.
Old 20th July 2012, 09:23   #2981
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackedHead View Post
There is an LG model as well. Please see if that fits the bill.
I got a call from them pronto and they have a model which fits the bill. We are planning to go today or tomorrow to see. Also, the local dealer of Siemens / Bosch is a member of my Rotary. I am in touch with him. I already have two packs of Detergent, Shine & Salt from Finish!

IFB service in Kanpur sucks, as does Samsung now that the latter has outsourced.
Old 20th July 2012, 10:27   #2982
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Vanish is required for tough stains or severely soiled clothes.

For everyday soiled cuffs and collars, your could use a mild liquid like Robin Cuffs & Collars. Apply this liquid on the cuffs and collars 10-15 minutes prior to starting the washing cycle.

Rohan
Old 20th July 2012, 10:33   #2983
BANNED

@Raccoon; Almost certainly it should be a loose connector which carries current. Alternative, could be a component (most probably a power resistor or capacitor) failing.
Old 20th July 2012, 11:21   #2984
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I seem to have solved this by putting squares of some black stuff under the feet. Unfortunately, I don't know what the black stuff is called: it was originally bought by engineer to counter vibration when mounting a pump on the concrete floor.
Its a hard EPDM rubber mat to counter the vibration.
Now, i think its being provided with all Front loaders.

Main problem is the handling and transportation condition of our country and the front loaders are sensitive, small angle deformation in the leg can cause unbalance.
And, there is no standard of flooring in India. So, it becomes really challenging for manufacturer.
Old 20th July 2012, 14:28   #2985
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post

Our old Videocon washing machine started to exhibit a problem for the first time in well over a decade. Some super sticky stuff was dribbling down on the floor below.
However, since the machine still works as it should, we weren't keen on spending some 3k on such an old machine. I told him I'll get back to him in a day. I didn't and didn't Next day received an SMS that the complaint was closed and also received an SMS querying if I was satisfied.

What remains unexplained is how the plastic below the PCB (apparently not part of the machine body) has melted to the point of liquefying and dripping out of the holes. .
It is very likely to be an electrolytic capacitor which is leaking gunge (its electrolyte). It is likely to fail soon with disastrous consequence. It can explode (may not cause much damage outside but can make a bang).

If you don't want to spend 3k for replacing the entire PCB, you can change the capacitor alone asap. The capacitor won't cost much.

Usually companies will not do component level service and would prefer to change the entire module or the PCB. Passive components can easily be changed unlike the proprietary control chips which are hard to procure elsewhere.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks