Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2012, 15:29   #2986
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Its a hard EPDM rubber mat to counter the vibration.
Now, i think its being provided with all Front loaders.
Might be ...but it is quite hard and brittle: breaks if you bend it. Do you think it can be rubber? I think a heavy rubber would do the trick anyway.

Quote:
Main problem is the handling and transportation condition of our country and the front loaders are sensitive, small angle deformation in the leg can cause unbalance.
And, there is no standard of flooring in India. So, it becomes really challenging for manufacturer.
Laying a concrete floor both flat and level is a challenge anywhere in the world, which is why these machines have adjustable feet. Wood can be even worse, as the boards may not be even. So I do not think it is fair to blame Indian floors.

Our machine stands on a raised concrete platform. The Bosch never walked. After initial walkies problems with the LG, I had a piece of Kadapa (sp?) stone set there, and the mason and I took infinite care with a level to make it pretty precise. The machine still walked.
Quote:
Vanish is required for tough stains or severely soiled clothes.

For everyday soiled cuffs and collars, your could use a mild liquid like Robin Cuffs & Collars. Apply this liquid on the cuffs and collars 10-15 minutes prior to starting the washing cycle.
Actually, nost washes will be fine with just detergent.

Vanish is biological, enzyme-based, so it is particularly good at getting rid of greasy marks, blood, grass stains and what UK TV commercials laughingly call "biological" stains.
Old 20th July 2012, 16:20   #2987
BANNED

My old LG Front Loader did 'walk'. The new unit with Direct Drive has far less vibration and shows no such tendencies. Of course I had to level it carefully and adjust the four screws properly. It barely shakes even though I have a polished marble floor.
Old 20th July 2012, 17:37   #2988
Distinguished - BHPian

You are very lucky. I spent ages with mine, not only with the builders' level, but also by feel. You can feel which foot vibrates, and just turn the spanner until it stops, or, at least, is as little as possible. Then make the lock nuts tight. But mine still walked, and even fell flat on its face.
Old 20th July 2012, 21:09   #2989
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
My old LG Front Loader did 'walk'. The new unit with Direct Drive has far less vibration and shows no such tendencies. Of course I had to level it carefully and adjust the four screws properly. It barely shakes even though I have a polished marble floor.
Ditto for me. The new LG directdrive has very less vibration. It started vibrating a bit after I placed it on a steel stand "highly recommended" to my wifey by their engineer who came for demo.
Old 21st July 2012, 00:59   #2990
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@Raccoon; Almost certainly it should be a loose connector which carries current. Alternative, could be a component (most probably a power resistor or capacitor) failing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
It is very likely to be an electrolytic capacitor which is leaking gunge (its electrolyte). It is likely to fail soon with disastrous consequence. It can explode (may not cause much damage outside but can make a bang).

If you don't want to spend 3k for replacing the entire PCB, you can change the capacitor alone asap. The capacitor won't cost much.

Usually companies will not do component level service and would prefer to change the entire module or the PCB. Passive components can easily be changed unlike the proprietary control chips which are hard to procure elsewhere.
I got a brief peek when the service guy opened the front panel to revel the PCB below the touch buttons. Do not recall seeing any loose connector. Nor do I recall any big capacitor that could have leaked so much gooey stuff... not even close. So it seems highly unlikely that its a failing capacitor. Wish I had taken pics when he opened it up.

But now that you mention it, I think I should open up the panel myself, just to make sure. Could you tell me how to identify that it is gunge? This stuff is really more like melted plastic or something. Quite thick and sticky; and I guess almost odorless. The service guy also said its melted plastic... but goes without saying you can't really believe anything they say. Seems like the PCB was mounted on some kinda plastic that has melted away and is now, after so many years, dripping down on the floor. Machine's operation seems to be unaffected.

Will open it up myself soon and check. Don't want anything exploding inside which may cause more damage. If it is indeed a failing capacitor, I'll definitely try to get it replaced elsewhere like you mentioned, rather than spending some 3k.
Old 21st July 2012, 10:22   #2991
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
I got a brief peek when the service guy opened the front panel to revel the PCB below the touch buttons. Do not recall seeing any loose connector. Nor do I recall any big capacitor that could have leaked so much gooey stuff... not even close. So it seems highly unlikely that its a failing capacitor. Wish I had taken pics when he opened it up.

But now that you mention it, I think I should open up the panel myself, just to make sure. Could you tell me how to identify that it is gunge? This stuff is really more like melted plastic or something. Quite thick and sticky; and I guess almost odorless. The service guy also said its melted plastic...

Will open it up myself soon and check. Don't want anything exploding inside which may cause more damage. If it is indeed a failing capacitor, I'll definitely try to get it replaced elsewhere like you mentioned, rather than spending some 3k.
The best way to clear this, is to open up the panel and view inside as you said. The electrolyte gunge would be dark in color with mushrooms of white. On the other hand, it can be a melted plastic/rubber placed near an overheating component. Run a full washing cycle with the panel exposed so that you can see what causes this. Unless we see a photo - it is difficult to make a diagnosis.
Old 21st July 2012, 10:38   #2992
BANNED

Bought an LG D1417WF Dishwasher for 38,000 yesterday. Delivery on Monday. The Siemens / Bosch dealer promised to respond within two hours day before yesterday, nothing yet. He obviously does not want my business.
Old 22nd July 2012, 00:05   #2993
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Bought Samsung refrigerator (RT2935TNBSZ) today from TMC for 25.3k. Delivery would be happening tomorrow. It has 5* energy rating and have 10 years warranty on compressor (they call it Digital Inverter Compressor). Yet to understand what is special about the compressor.
Old 22nd July 2012, 02:19   #2994
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
The best way to clear this, is to open up the panel and view inside as you said. The electrolyte gunge would be dark in color with mushrooms of white. On the other hand, it can be a melted plastic/rubber placed near an overheating component. Run a full washing cycle with the panel exposed so that you can see what causes this. Unless we see a photo - it is difficult to make a diagnosis.
Yes, will do that soon. Just need to get the time. It may well be melted plastic due to overheating component, but its the sheer amount that is strange and worrying...
Old 22nd July 2012, 11:14   #2995
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottocycle View Post
Bought Samsung refrigerator (RT2935TNBSZ) today from TMC for 25.3k. Delivery would be happening tomorrow. It has 5* energy rating and have 10 years warranty on compressor (they call it Digital Inverter Compressor). Yet to understand what is special about the compressor.
I think regular compressors do a simple hi-lo feedback for controlling temperature i.e. shutdown and startup at high-low marks to control temperature. I think this one actually operates at different levels to control the temperature.
Old 22nd July 2012, 13:11   #2996
Senior - BHPian

Does anyone knows how this works? Is it a battery charger or something? How does it help to power the smart phones? - Sony CP-ELS USB Power Backup
Old 22nd July 2012, 13:19   #2997
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Does anyone knows how this works? Is it a battery charger or something? How does it help to power the smart phones? - Sony CP-ELS USB Power Backup
This one needs to be charged first. Then in case of emergency or suppose you run out of battery while you're on road you can use this stuff for charging your phone.
Old 22nd July 2012, 13:24   #2998
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee
I have been using a somewhat similar stuff grom Belkin.Its a portable charger and i purchased it from Flipkart about 7 months back.Mine charges my Samsung Galaxy S2 in less than 3 hrs.The backup charger lasts for nearly 2 full charges and then you can recharge it using your phone charger.Its a real good product considering battery drain out if you are away from an electrical point.Even my brother has one and uses it for his Blackberry.
Old 22nd July 2012, 14:57   #2999
BHPian

Quote:
Bought an LG D1417WF Dishwasher for 38,000 yesterday. Delivery on Monday. The Siemens / Bosch dealer promised to respond within two hours day before yesterday, nothing yet. He obviously does not want my business.
Sir,
Congratulations on your new buy! Do post a review , especially on the running costs, recurring expenditure, electricity consumption, installation and service experience etc (A long term review maybe a year down the line will also be helpful) . This will help the undecided amongst us make up our minds.
Cheers!
Old 22nd July 2012, 15:42   #3000
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
I think regular compressors do a simple hi-lo feedback for controlling temperature i.e. shutdown and startup at high-low marks to control temperature. I think this one actually operates at different levels to control the temperature.
Yes. Samsung website mentions the same. This is why they have charged the premium over other similar capacity refrigerators.

Quote:
Digital Inverter Compressor

Samsung’s Digital Inverter Compressor (DIC) intelligently varies its power and running speed as per the immediate cooling requirement of the compressor. Unlike a conventional compressor, DIC does not abruptly start and stop, ensuring consistent, uniform cooling and consuming less energy. Less Start & Stop also means low noise and less wea/tear of internal components, elongating compressor life.

Most Viewed