Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2012, 14:33   #3031
BANNED

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I lusted after a Miele like some people here lust after a Ferrari! Bosch was the closest I got. Bosch is pretty good, but not in Miele territory.
I will not compare a Miele with a Ferrari since the latter is temperamental. In a home appliance you want total bullet proof reliability. As you yourself say, Bosch is nowhere near the Miele territory.
Old 8th August 2012, 16:17   #3032
BHPian

I am in the market for a washing machine and would like to go for an automatic one. Should I go for a top loader or a front loader?
Old 8th August 2012, 16:21   #3033
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skartik2 View Post
I am in the market for a washing machine and would like to go for an automatic one. Should I go for a top loader or a front loader?
If you have space for permanently locating the machine and plumbing in place, go for the front loading. They are normally fully automatic and consume less water than the top loaders.

Then the higher end models come with inbuilt heaters so washing cotton towels and sheets is a breeze, as good as the laundry.
Old 8th August 2012, 16:27   #3034
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
If you have space for permanently locating the machine and plumbing in place, go for the front loading. They are normally fully automatic and consume less water than the top loaders.

Then the higher end models come with inbuilt heaters so washing cotton towels and sheets is a breeze, as good as the laundry.
It will be located in a wash area in a flat so there is a water pipe at a height of 4 feet from the floor, I can connect it to the washing machine. The outlet from the wash m/c I guess I can connect directly into the sink in the floor.
Old 8th August 2012, 17:16   #3035
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It will be located in a wash area in a flat so there is a water pipe at a height of 4 feet from the floor, I can connect it to the washing machine. The outlet from the wash m/c I guess I can connect directly into the sink in the floor.
In that case go for front loading machine. The following features cost more, but make life easier. Choose a model with them if you can

. Heater that can go upto 95 degrees centigrade. Gives towels and bed sheets that professional wash feel.

. Multiple spin options - 500, 800, 1200 etc RPM. Higher speeds for thorough dewatering, lower speeds for delicate fabrics.

. Rinse stop - does not drain and spin in the last cycle. Useful when you anticipate a long time between the end of cycle and hanging of clothes (you are out for a long time, but switched the WM so that you can hang them when you return). Some clothes wrinkle up a lot if left in the WM after spin dry. So you delay the last spin when you are ready, depress the button and the last rinse will come through in a couple of minutes.
Old 8th August 2012, 17:23   #3036
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Top Loaders are cheaper and work well enough for normal needs. I have used top loader automatics for close to 12 years. 5 years with hot water and 7 years with cold water. Either were good enough for me. I current have an LG 6.5 kg top loader which has worked well for 7 years.
Old 8th August 2012, 18:07   #3037
BHPian

Thanks Aroy and carboy for your feedback.
Old 8th August 2012, 21:12   #3038
BHPian

Front loaders are more gentle on cloths because the cloth does not rub against the WM drum, it just drops down. Just my 10 rupees.
Old 8th August 2012, 21:36   #3039
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
Front loaders are more gentle on cloths because the cloth does not rub against the WM drum, it just drops down. Just my 10 rupees.
Yeah. And the term they (the salesmen) use is tumble-wash. Its like tumbling the clothes on a stone slab in the manual method of washing.

Interestingly, they call the rubbing disc method as impeller-wash and the central pole that goes clock-wise and anti-clock wise is called Agitator wash. The impeller has some plastic undulations that rubs against the clothes while the agitator has a central axis that agitates the clothes against each other to ease out the dirt. In my experience, the impeller-wash is harshest to the clothes due to the rubbing nature of the disc.

Prajwal

Last edited by prajwalkashyap : 8th August 2012 at 21:42.
Old 8th August 2012, 21:58   #3040
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saildrive View Post
Just saw a product line from miele; Premium cooking appliances, washing machines, dishwashers, vacuum cleaners - Miele India, its supposedly a premium home appliances company.

Any one out here who has used any of the products and what has been the experience of the range so far?

S
AFAIK Miele refrigerators and washing machines are still built in Germany even in this day and age. Their stuff is legendary but as with anything that is made in germany, is priced stratospherically.
Old 8th August 2012, 22:04   #3041
BHPian

Iam in the market looking for a vacuum cleaner. Budget max of 10k. Can someone suggest a good brand and model.

We have a Eureka Forbes bought some 5-6yrs back at home and its doing a good job. But there are too many models on the Eureka Forbes site.
Old 9th August 2012, 01:32   #3042
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
. Multiple spin options - 500, 800, 1200 etc RPM. Higher speeds for thorough dewatering, lower speeds for delicate fabrics.
High speed for monsoon, lower speeds for when the heat of the day is going to do all the work in a few hours anyway.
Old 9th August 2012, 02:06   #3043
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
AFAIK Miele refrigerators and washing machines are still built in Germany even in this day and age. Their stuff is legendary but as with anything that is made in germany, is priced stratospherically.

So, are these guys like Grundig or better ? Just giving an option for comparison. Everything has a brand appeal. Whirlpool was a great brand in the US but here in India, they are one of the most not sought after brands for most people.
Old 9th August 2012, 08:12   #3044
Senior - BHPian

Was in the market for a FF refrigerator and wife had done the foot work and singled out a 255 ltr samsung. So we went to reliance digital at gopalan mall to do the deal. However, we saw a tall beige fridge standing out in a sea of greys. Saw a newly launched 276 ltr SHARP, with a sticker.." completely imported" or something like this. The sammy was 19400/- and the Sharp was 16999/-.
went for the sharp as we liked the color, price and size. lets wait and see the service. Last 3 days it has been working fine.
Old 9th August 2012, 09:24   #3045
BANNED

@goandude; Sharp is a company for which I have the greatest respect and admiration. With a fridge you should expect 8-10 years of trouble free service at least, so the service centre is not that important (ie once it has worked happily for a month or so)

Most Viewed