Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2012, 13:46   #3121
BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

I am looking to buy a washing machine and am looking at either Bosch or Siemens. I am looking at a front loading machine although I am not averse to a top loading one. Priorities:
Wash quality
Sound levels
Servicing cost

I have an IFB now and that has served me for 9 years now. But off late it has started giving more problems involving 1500 to 2000/- worth repairs once in 6 to 8 months.

Does anyone have any experience with Siemens or Bosch? I have read through quite a few viewpoints on Siemens but none on Bosch in this forum.

Travelwriter
Old 31st August 2012, 13:56   #3122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelwriter View Post
I am looking to buy a washing machine and am looking at either Bosch or Siemens. I am looking at a front loading machine although I am not averse to a top loading one. Priorities:
Wash quality
Sound levels
Servicing cost

I have an IFB now and that has served me for 9 years now. But off late it has started giving more problems involving 1500 to 2000/- worth repairs once in 6 to 8 months.

Does anyone have any experience with Siemens or Bosch? I have read through quite a few viewpoints on Siemens but none on Bosch in this forum.

Travelwriter
I am using Siemens from last 9 years and it has done a good job. It is front loading. I need to get the body changed 6 months back after 8+ years of usage. It went kaput 2 times apart from body repair and need to shell out around 4K in total. In conclusion machine is good but service and its part are costly. They prefer to change the part rather than repairing which is quite common these days
Old 1st September 2012, 01:14   #3123
Senior - BHPian

^^^May we know why the body was changed? Rust? Have seen WM bodies last way longer. Even in humid weather. In fact I thought they should last the life of the machine.
Old 1st September 2012, 22:27   #3124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
^^^May we know why the body was changed? Rust? Have seen WM bodies last way longer. Even in humid weather. In fact I thought they should last the life of the machine.
I think it is mostly rust, that too at the bottom. Time was when appliances had enameled body - ceramic coating over steel. Those lasted a life time. Painted body are susceptible to rust. I know of quite a few who religiously paint their appliances every five years, and the bodies last twenty years or more.
Old 2nd September 2012, 01:56   #3125
Senior - BHPian

^^^Ceramic coating over steel? Interesting. Our very old Videocon shows no sign of rust at all. Never painted, never did anything to prevent it. Body sheet metal is not so thick either. How can one tell if the surface is ceramic coated?
Old 2nd September 2012, 13:21   #3126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
^^^Ceramic coating over steel? Interesting. Our very old Videocon shows no sign of rust at all. Never painted, never did anything to prevent it. Body sheet metal is not so thick either. How can one tell if the surface is ceramic coated?
Pretty old technology. Before the advent of stainless steel most of the iron & steel utensils were enameled, as were the appliances - refrigerators, washing machines and cooking ranges.

Here are some links
http://www.ehow.com/info_8408033_por...-cookware.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cast-iron_cookware
Old 2nd September 2012, 13:31   #3127
Senior - BHPian

Travelwriter[/quote]

Bosch and Siemens are nothing apart except for the names. In Germany it is called as BSH or Bosch Siemens Hausgerate, a collaboration. You will find the exteriors a bit different, but the internal hardware is the shared by both.
Old 2nd September 2012, 13:39   #3128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandit View Post
who has good recommendations for tool kits that are easily available in India?

I'm looking for 2 specific ones:
1. Home tool kit -- Something like the Bosch (which strangely i couldn't find so easily in mumbai)
2. Auto (Car+bike) tool kit -- A kit that has all the essential tools that can be used for a car or a bike.. most common tasks usually.

Would really appreciate some feedback on this.
Bosch is running a scheme for its employees where the Smart drill kit is priced at 3700INR (6200MRP). Check out if any of your friends can purchase this for you. Another option would be if you or any of your friends are traveling from Bangalore, I can arrange one for you.
Old 2nd September 2012, 19:15   #3129
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
^^^Ceramic coating over steel? Interesting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Pretty old technology. Before the advent of stainless steel most of the iron & steel utensils were enameled, as were the appliances - refrigerators, washing machines and cooking ranges.
Very old technology, but also very good. I think we've mentioned that some top-end stuff like Miele washing machine machines still uses enamel. Very old, and very good. Apart from chipping, it is very very hardy.

Enamel is actually a form of glass, rather than ceramic, but ceramics, whilst also having their roots in antiquity, turn up being used in very modern ways. I still find it hard to think of a ceramic knife blade, but I haven't been lucky enough to own one.

Of course, paint technology has improved hugely, so enamel is not as necessary as it once was, but ...is there a paint that can outlast it?
Old 2nd September 2012, 19:33   #3130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
who has good recommendations for tool kits that are easily available in India? ...
If you know anyone who has a card for Metro (the wholesale place where most shopkeepers buy their stuff), go there and check. Metro (Mumbai, Pune, Bangalore) has a whole range of tools & tool kits.

In Bangalore, one can go to their outlet (Bannerghatta Road, off Hosur Road from the graveyard side; 1st and 2nd floor above a garment shop on the left). Employees do get a hefty discount, but even then the outlet guy gives good discounts that Spar, etc. don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
... I still find it hard to think of a ceramic knife blade, but I haven't been lucky enough to own one. ...
I have one. Kyocera Japan makes good ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
... is there a paint that can outlast it?
"Powder" coating, which is essentially polymer powder which is (electrostatically) sprayed and baked on to metal surfaces, almost does. Most large electrical panel manufacturers like BHEL, BEL, Siemens, ABB etc. have been using that for more than 35 years now. Haven't seen those panels losing coating even in punishing environments.

Last edited by DerAlte : 2nd September 2012 at 19:39.
Old 2nd September 2012, 22:01   #3131
Senior - BHPian

"Powder" coating, which is essentially polymer powder which is (electrostatically) sprayed and baked on to metal surfaces, almost does. Most large electrical panel manufacturers like BHEL, BEL, Siemens, ABB etc. have been using that for more than 35 years now. Haven't seen those panels losing coating even in punishing environments.[/quote]

Powder coating is an effective technology, but the part needs to undergo a through pre cleaning process to remove dust, dirt, and oil on the surface. The area in which the powder is sprayed should also be free from dirt and suspended particles to ensure a clean and effective powder coat. Also humidity plays an important role. I have seen parts rusting from inside out after a period of 3 years of use due to ineffective pre cleaning which was not noticed. The powder coat flaked out and the product had to replaced to customer free of cost.
Old 2nd September 2012, 23:29   #3132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
who has good recommendations for tool kits that are easily available in India?

I'm looking for 2 specific ones:
1. Home tool kit -- Something like the Bosch (which strangely i couldn't find so easily in mumbai)
2. Auto (Car+bike) tool kit -- A kit that has all the essential tools that can be used for a car or a bike.. most common tasks usually.

Would really appreciate some feedback on this.
Check out Stanley
http://www.stanleyworks.in/

They are VFM.
Old 2nd September 2012, 23:52   #3133
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte

"Powder" coating, which is essentially polymer powder which is (electrostatically) sprayed and baked on to metal surfaces, almost does. Most large electrical panel manufacturers like BHEL, BEL, Siemens, ABB etc. have been using that for more than 35 years now. Haven't seen those panels losing coating even in punishing environments.
Yes, this sort of thing looks very promising. The museums of the future will tell! Enamel really lasts
Old 3rd September 2012, 11:31   #3134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
... I have seen parts rusting from inside out after a period of 3 years of use due to ineffective pre cleaning which was not noticed. The powder coat flaked out and the product had to replaced to customer free of cost.
That was bad workmanship - nothing to do with the technology. Even enamel coating needs surface preparation. If a technician is lazy or deficient in his skills, no product will last long.
Old 4th September 2012, 16:16   #3135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
That was bad workmanship - nothing to do with the technology. Even enamel coating needs surface preparation. If a technician is lazy or deficient in his skills, no product will last long.
Even chromium plating on metal requires thorough cleaning and preparation of surface. In fact when ever you want to apply a long lasting coat on any surface, it has to be free of dirt and oils, else the coating will not stick and in case of steel lead to rusting.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks