Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2012, 17:12   #3151
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

What an odd problem: I never heard of that happening. Assuming your assemblies are the same as my MK assemblies (and I'm guessing that all will be) the top plate (switch surround) can easily be removed. There may be places to insert a screwdriver, but anyway, you just lever them off. Needs care, it is possible to break them, but it is not difficult.

You will then see the screws that hold the main plate to the wall box, and can easily tighten them yourself. They screw into small lugs that are part of the wall box. Make sure your electrician actually has lined up the screws with the holes, and they are not just screwed into thin air!

All this should be safe unless or until you remove those screws, allowing the switch plate to be removed from the wall box, and exposing the wiring at the rear. Even so, it is not a bad idea to use a mains-tester screwdriver and touch all metal, including the screws, with it before touching with your fingers. Wires can become loose or free, falling against other metal parts. You do not know what quality of workmanship is hidden behind your switches! Where connectors line up, sometimes one piece of bare wire is threaded through them: neat and easy, but not very safe.

Would therefore suggest that you do this in daylight with the mains power switched off

...or that you at least find the appropriate breaker and isolate that switch/socket set. And still use that mains-tester screwdriver!

You're going to need to check that the screws are going into the holes in the lugs, and that they tighten to tight stop. If you can't tighten them, then either the screw thread or the lug-hole thread is damaged. (Or, conceivably, they are the wrong screws?).

Screws are easily replaced, but if the fault is with the box, that's not good. It is probably plastered into the wall, and replacement would be messy.
Old 25th September 2012, 21:28   #3152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bond_bhai View Post
Guys, Came across this ad while watching TV "Vegetable and Fruit Purifier" by Kent. Anybody has any ideas/experiences on this gadget/product?

Linky: http://www.kent.co.in/product/kent_v...purifiers.aspx

The site says it "Remove Harmful Chemicals, Insecticides & Germs From Fruits, Vegetables & Meats"

And does the following!

If it really does what it claims, its pretty awesome!! Any thoughts?
Watch this link to know how to clean your veggies. They tested 3 diff type of veggies wash and compared the bacteria count after 24hrs.
Old 25th September 2012, 21:45   #3153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
For my new home, the architect is insisting on a left-handed fridge since otherwise removing and putting stuff would be inconvenient from the kitchen. I tried asking at some local stores and checked online as well but not sure these are available in India. For reference, please check this.

Any ideas? Vijay Sales guys told me Haier makes a LH fridge but I would like to have some choice in brands.
Why not pick up a french door? Something like this:

http://www.hitachi-hli.com/bigFrench-standard.html

Works perfectly in cramped spaces.
Old 28th September 2012, 05:43   #3154
BHPian

hey any ideas on Panasonic Refrigerators? I want one with bottom freezer i have heard haier models are not that good. So any thoughts?
Old 28th September 2012, 06:42   #3155
Distinguished - BHPian

How good/bad are LG refrigerators?We had purchased one last March and it konked off last week.The service here is appalling as after 2 complaints,the service guy came,inspected it and said that gas has leaked and something is not working.This was on Monday. There has been no visit by anyone after that or any call from LG. But we did get a call from our dealer and he said he is ready to replace the refrigerator.!I smell something suspicious here as the LG people are in touch with the dealer and not us.They somehow want us to get it replaced without any escalation of the issue. I had threatened the people at Noida center with a consumer forum case. We are still trying to fathom whats wrong. Anyone from LG here? I never thought their service to be so bad,is it like this? What should I do?
Old 28th September 2012, 08:45   #3156
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Why not pick up a french door? Something like this:

http://www.hitachi-hli.com/bigFrench-standard.html

Works perfectly in cramped spaces.
Thanks for that ROC. I checked out a few (they are called side-by-side door models in India...ugh!) but since the shelves are split vertically, it was rejected since it won't accomodate larger utensils (a must for Indian kitchens).

Meanwhile we have zeroed onto this one: a reversible 2-door model from Samsung which seems just perfect! It also has a smart freezer, which can be converted to a regular fridge compartment depending on your need.
Old 28th September 2012, 11:09   #3157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Thanks for that ROC. I checked out a few (they are called side-by-side door models in India...ugh!) but since the shelves are split vertically, it was rejected since it won't accomodate larger utensils (a must for Indian kitchens).

Meanwhile we have zeroed onto this one: a reversible 2-door model from Samsung which seems just perfect! It also has a smart freezer, which can be converted to a regular fridge compartment depending on your need.
This one has full sized shelves. No split in the middle. That is why this is a french door and not a side by side.
Old 8th October 2012, 10:07   #3158
BHPian

Hi Guys

Need your valuable inputs on buying an induction cooker.

Looking at the LPG prices rocketing up, I am planning to buy an Induction cooker. Generally, one cylinder for me goes for about 25 days. Hence the requirement

Confused a bit about which model to buy in induction cooker ? What variables come into play when we select one ? Do we need to have copper bottom utensils to use with induction cooker ?

It will be used for a family of five for regular cooking.

Need your valuable thoughts on the same. Any reliable brands to be sought out ?
Old 8th October 2012, 11:44   #3159
BHPian

^ We have been using one since last 13 months now. TCL2029A induction cooker and Induction Fry Pan W-out ss vessel However, have heard that the company closed down. You can try Prestige.These days I have heard good reviews of the same. By the way, only flat bottomed stainless steel utensils can be used. My cooker's booklet advised against using copper bottomed pans.

For our kind of usage, electricity bill went up by 15 units avg and lpg cylinder lasts double of what it used to be earlier.

Regards,
Old 8th October 2012, 23:28   #3160
BHPian

Hello friends, need your valuable help and suggestion on choosing a good inverter/ups for home use. My requirement is a 1400 VA unit to run most gadgets at home including computer. How is Su-kam inverters and how well do they compare with APC?

I searched for a thread on this, couldn't find one. Also, I need to get a matching pair of batteries and am considering Exide. Apologies, if there exists a separate thread on this topic. Desperately seeking guidance because the need is urgent.
Old 8th October 2012, 23:40   #3161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v.anand View Post
Hello friends, need your valuable help and suggestion on choosing a good inverter/ups for home use. My requirement is a 1400 VA unit to run most gadgets at home including computer. How is Su-kam inverters and how well do they compare with APC?

I searched for a thread on this, couldn't find one. Also, I need to get a matching pair of batteries and am considering Exide. Apologies, if there exists a separate thread on this topic. Desperately seeking guidance because the need is urgent.
I am running a su-kam smiley 1400VA unit for almost 5+ years without any issue. So far so good! Recently, got a new set of luminous batteries of 120A each.
Old 9th October 2012, 00:00   #3162
BHPian

Thanks a lot JMaruru. Looks like I would settle with Sukam too.
Old 10th October 2012, 10:14   #3163
BANNED

My 7 year old Haier Fridge's freezer has started frosting heavily. What could be the cause? Is this someone I need to call company mechanics for (they charge Rs. 350 as visiting charges) or is it something any local mechanic can repair. What do you think would be the cost of repairs?
Old 10th October 2012, 10:28   #3164
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
My 7 year old Haier Fridge...
Is this a frost-free fridge or a conventional system that requires periodic defrosting?
Old 10th October 2012, 10:33   #3165
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Is this a frost-free fridge or a conventional system that requires periodic defrosting?
I have lost the manual, so I cannot confirm - but I am almost sure it's frost free. Atleast I have never defrosted it in 7 years and this kind of frost has never formed.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks