Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2012, 13:03   #3256
BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Bought the Elica brand of - Chimney & Hob. Total about 26500/- from Kohinoor Andheri West. The Elica showroom in Laxmi Estate quoted a total of 32000/- for the same models.

Thanks K2 & Null. I bought the Chimney (Model # Flat Glass TC 3V) with a Suction Power of 1150/- and the Hob with 3 Indian (brass) burners (Model # MFC #B 70 DX)

Will be collecting my goods by the end of this month; there are some renovations that are being carried out in the Kitchen. So will update with my feedback later next month.
Old 20th November 2012, 19:47   #3257
Senior - BHPian

How is this washing machine @ Rs. 13500?
http://www.panasonic.co.in/wps/porta...omatic/NAF65B2

How is Panasonic service w.r.t. washing machines?
Our primary requirement at the moment is to dry clothes so I don't see any point in buying those 25+ front loading machines.

Note: We have very little know-how of how to use the machine.
Old 20th November 2012, 19:57   #3258
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Our primary requirement at the moment is to dry clothes so I don't see any point in buying those 25+ front loading machines.
I am very confused here - If your primary requirement is to dry clothes why are you looking at washing machines? Shouldn't you be looking for a dryer instead?
Old 20th November 2012, 20:29   #3259
AWD
BHPian

Quote:
any point in buying those 25+ front loading machines.
+1 Im also keen to know how Panasonic WM's are & how do top loaders compare with Front loaders...
Old 20th November 2012, 21:27   #3260
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
+1 Im also keen to know how Panasonic WM's are & how do top loaders compare with Front loaders...
I've been using Fully Automatic Washing Machines for close to 20 years now (with a few gaps in the early years). Have used both top & front loaders. In my opinion Top Loaders are good enough for most adults. Unless, your clothes get awfully dirty, the difference in cleaning isn't significant enough to spring for a front loader.
Old 20th November 2012, 21:31   #3261
AWD
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Top Loaders are good enough for most adults. Unless, your clothes get awfully dirty, the difference in cleaning isn't significant enough to spring for a front loader.
Thanks. Have heard that clothes get a better treatment in front loaders & that they are a bit soft on the clothes whereas wear & tear of clothes is more in top loaders. True or not ?

Do top loaders vibrate as much as front loaders?
Old 20th November 2012, 22:37   #3262
Distinguished - BHPian

If a front-loader seriously vibrates, it is not levelled properly. It takes a spirit level: by eye is not good enough.
Old 21st November 2012, 17:15   #3263
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am very confused here - If your primary requirement is to dry clothes why are you looking at washing machines? Shouldn't you be looking for a dryer instead?
I do not know about dryers. I assume that they would also cost Rs. 5000 or so.
Plus when there is no maid to wash clothes, the washing machine will always come in handy. Added benefit is to wash curtains and when guests come in.

So, unless dryers are very much cheaper, I would not mind making a one time investment in wash + dry machine.

Another question: I do not know what part of semi-automatic machine involves manual intervention. In olden days we used to shift clothes from wash tub to the dryer by hand. Is it still the same now?
Old 21st November 2012, 18:33   #3264
BANNED

Quote:
I do not know about dryers. I assume that they would also cost Rs. 5000 or so.
Minimum would be 15000, I guess. However, my question was that if your primary requirement was to dry clothers - how will buying a washing machine help? A washing machine does not dry clothes - so your primary requirement goes unsatisfied.

Washing Machines(both automatic & semis) do a spin cycle at the end - its sometimes called spin dry (but a misnomer, IMO). Its not really drying. It's similar to what the maid does when she squeezes the clothes after washing - a little better than that - clothes still come out fully wet out of washing machine - only difference is that water is not dripping from the clothes - you still have to hang the clothes to dry.
Old 21st November 2012, 20:18   #3265
Distinguished - BHPian

You get integrated washing machine + dryer in most brands these days. The only issue (if you can call it that) is that you can't dry the entire load in one go, e.g. if your wash load capacity is 8kg, the drying capacity will be around 5-6 kg (indicative).

In most Indian cities unless it's the middle of monsoon, you usually do not need a dryer since hanging clothes out works just fine. So I am not sure what you mean when you say your PRIMARY requirement is drying clothes.
Old 21st November 2012, 20:39   #3266
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
You get integrated washing machine + dryer in most brands these days.
Cost wise, I don't think this is any different from buying a washer + dryer separately, right? i.e. at minimum it should cost 15K + 15K = 30K, right?
Old 22nd November 2012, 00:07   #3267
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N

Note: We have very little know-how of how to use the machine.
We have a top load whirlpool and a front load Samsung. Top load problem is that the soap often Would not mix completely and on my blacks would see streaks of white. So bought a front load full automatic 5kg for 15500 last year. It's great and we run daily 2 loads in it. No problems. Been 17 months now.
Old 22nd November 2012, 12:28   #3268
Senior - BHPian

Good inputs. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
You get integrated washing machine + dryer in most brands these days.
Quote:
However, my question was that if your primary requirement was to dry clothers - how will buying a washing machine help? A washing machine does not dry clothes - so your primary requirement goes unsatisfied.
Perhaps the word dryer has been misused here by a few of us and that is the reason for this confusion. I am not looking for the dryers found in western world.

Quote:
... only difference is that water is not dripping from the clothes
Exactly what we need. We might have to hang the clothes inside a room in the new house. So, water dripping will be a problem. The windows should be able to provide ventilation and do the rest.

Quote:
Cost wise, I don't think this is any different from buying a washer + dryer separately, right? i.e. at minimum it should cost 15K + 15K = 30K, right?
I would probably buy something in the 15K range which can give a decent wash (occasional use) and spin (daily use). So something simple would be our best option for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
We have a top load whirlpool and a front load Samsung. Top load problem is that the soap often Would not mix completely and on my blacks would see streaks of white. So bought a front load full automatic 5kg for 15500 last year. It's great and we run daily 2 loads in it. No problems. Been 17 months now.
Thanks for the tip. I also like Front Loading from the looks perspective. However 6.5 Kg machines are damn expensive. Is yours a semi automatic?
Old 22nd November 2012, 14:13   #3269
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Perhaps the word dryer has been misused here by a few of us and that is the reason for this confusion. I am not looking for the dryers found in western world.
Home-laundry equipment in the western world, as I know it, is pretty much the same as here, excepting only that...

--- lower-price top-loading machines are not common.

--- we used to have a "spin dryer," which was a small machine used to spin the water out of hand-washed cloth.

--- we used to have "drying cabinets" with a low-power electrical element in the base, which were wonderful for drying clothes indoors in the wet weather. I have actually seen something with a similar function here.

The amount of water removed from clothes during the spin cycle of a washing machine depends on its spin speed: higher speed removes more water.
Old 22nd November 2012, 14:32   #3270
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the tip. I also like Front Loading from the looks perspective. However 6.5 Kg machines are damn expensive. Is yours a semi automatic?
Both my machines are fully automatic. The whirlpool junk was their top of the line machine, the most expensive one they had at that time in 2008 when I purchased it. They made me buy a host of accessories claiming the white streaking will be solved, but nothing helped. Made be buy a stand, water softener etc. I started getting liquid soap and paper based soap from abroad due to this crap. Infact whirlpool have now launched their own liquid soap for this soap powder issue.
Finally got fed up and bought the Samsung full automatic front load, 5kg - run the rapid cycle 2 loads a day and absolutely no issues. It has all options - hot wash, rpm control, various programs etc. Got it in June 2011 for 15.5k, gave me 2k for my old IFB front load, so worked out to only 13.5K, very happy!

Last edited by diyguy : 22nd November 2012 at 14:32. Reason: .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks