Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2012, 17:24   #3301
BANNED

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
I am in the market to buy a refrigerator, preferably over 300L capacity. Shortlisted these:

Also, are these not overpriced? Does a 300L fridge cost between 25-30k?
The prices depend on the configuration. I bought samsung RT2935TNBSZ for 25.3k around 2-3 months back. It has digital inverter compressor with 10 years warranty. Few models with same storing capacity were available for less than 20k as well.
Old 3rd December 2012, 17:51   #3302
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka_iitd View Post
Mohan me to have Siemens WM and its body got rusted after 8 yrs of usage got it replaced by local vendors. Siemens folks advised me to write off. Local vendor do give AMC/service at much cheaper than original manufacture. As your WM is already 5+ better to check local technician. Search for WM repair in Bangalore and you will find many. If you need help PM me
Hi AKA_IITD!

I am no longer staying in Bangalore, I moved to Hyderabad. I need to alter my profile to avoid confusion. I believe that I need to take a second opinion from a local mechanic just to confirm the need to replace the drum. I will search for a local mechanic in Hyderabad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
I don't know the exact break up of prices. It was like a package deal for a few home appliances bought together. I think the WM came to 29-31K in that.
This is the 7KG Siemens model.

Which model do you have and what is wrong with the drum?
Hi Vidyut!

That is a fantastic price for a 7KG model. I have a 5.5 KG model. I planned to go with a 6.5 KG model if I replace it with a new one.

I see that the rubber that surrounds the drum and holds it in the position is totally out of shape, but I couldn't see any major issues with the drum. There is no rust, and the drum looks clean visually. The Bosch technician told my wife that we need to replace both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@umvarma; Five years is a bit too early. While goods once past their eighth birthday should be replaced when they break down. One can safely expect their normal life to be about a decade. So you have to take a call.

Now the direct drives of LG are fantastic in all ways. This is all I will say.
Thanks for your advice.
Old 3rd December 2012, 19:21   #3303
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Mohan me to have Siemens WM and its body got rusted after 8 yrs of usage got it replaced by local vendors. Siemens folks advised me to write off. Local vendor do give AMC/service at much cheaper than original manufacture. As your WM is already 5+ better to check local technician. Search for WM repair in Bangalore and you will find many. If you need help PM me
How does the body get rusted in Bangalore? There should be no water outside. Where is the machine kept?

For Washing machine repair, I have used the services of these guys:

http://www.washingmachineclinic.com/

This was for a 14 year old National imported top loader washing machine that had the spring in the bottom damaged. These guys were able to procure the imported part even though it took 2 months and repaired the machine.

This was a long time ago in 2003-2004 so I'm not sure now.
Old 3rd December 2012, 21:27   #3304
Team-BHP Support

Err, can we discuss Geysers ?

I am shortlisting Crompton, Usha, Racold & Havells. In 15ltr capacity. My bathroom is rather small though cost difference between 15ltrs & 25ltrs is a mere ~1,000 bucks.

Which amongst the shortlisted would be good?

Thanks

Vid ; Tried IFB. Heard Whirpool is rather good as well. I am staying away from Samsung/LG for a long time to come.
Old 3rd December 2012, 23:01   #3305
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel

I am shortlisting Crompton, Usha, Racold & Havells. In 15ltr capacity. My bathroom is rather small though cost difference between 15ltrs & 25ltrs is a mere ~1,000 bucks.

Thanks

Vid ; Tried IFB. Heard Whirpool is rather good as well. I am staying away from Samsung/LG for a long time to come.
I would suggest anytime Venus geysers as they are the best. Don't know how did you miss out such a famous brand in the geyser segment! Check it out before you purchase the brands you listed above.
Old 3rd December 2012, 23:06   #3306
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
I think that's good because I have never seen a Samsung or LG Geyser.
Old 3rd December 2012, 23:09   #3307
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by zwift1819 View Post
I would suggest anytime Venus geysers as they are the best. Don't know how did you miss out such a famous brand in the geyser segment! Check it out before you purchase the brands you listed above.
Venus? I don't know if it is available in my part or not. Hearing a lot about AO Smith geysers as well, but like Venus, unsure about its availability in this part :-) Shall check & revert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
I think that's good because I have never seen a Samsung or LG Geyser.
LOL. I was asking Vid to not look at them for Washing Machines & not geysers for me.
Old 3rd December 2012, 23:15   #3308
Team-BHP Support

For hard water Crompton and Racold are the best options. The copper tanks don't rust due to hard water but mineral deposits form within a month and are a pain.

I have a Remson and it needs regular cleaning.

AO smith has an imported tank with some glass coating as well.
Old 3rd December 2012, 23:17   #3309
Senior - BHPian

Hey Sheel, try and see if you can get "A.O.Smith" I have been using one for the last nearly 3+ years now and this is a high quality, and reliable product. Available through Smith's own distribution channel and some select models (including the instant ones) are avialable through "Jaquar" (of the tap fame) retail channel.

As for buying an instant one due to space constraint, I was in a similar scenario due to low ceiling height in the bathroom and A.O.Smith was the only manufacturer that gave me the option of purchasing a horizontal configuration geyser, well the others had it too but it was highly 'not recommended' by all of the retailers. Got the Smith and this was placed in a different location and piped into the bathroom. The control is through a wired remote panel, the original chord itself was some 8+ feet with an option to add length. Need less to say it was bye bye instant and hello 50 liters of stored hot water. The best part is I can now digitally control the temperature from 16 to 76 deg C unlike the others in the market where the thermostat is stuck at 75 and left alone. Further I get three power options to choose from 1000W, 1500W & a combined 2500 W. Tremendous power savings due to accurate temp control and the heat element choice besides the comfort of not accidentally burning self especially while washing hands. The best part is that the temperature drop through during the coldest of nights is no more than 3-5 degrees C with light usage during the night, so early morning one again has the comfort of hot water and there is no need to rush and switch on the geyser. Of course if one so desires there is the 24 hour built in timer that allows one to set Switch 'ON' & 'OFF' times complete with variable power element selection along with the desired temperature and the built in clock is pretty accurate.

Quote:

Thanks

Old 4th December 2012, 00:45   #3310
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Any chance of going solar? You never have to turn it on or off: as long as the sun shines hot water is always there.

However, unless you have a large family, it is an expensive toy. I love mine, for the convenience, but it will never ever actually pay for itself, not with just two people in a small house.
Old 4th December 2012, 09:21   #3311
BANNED

@zwift1819; That would have been my reaction as well. However, recently I learnt that Venus are no longer always giving copper tanks, and also in some models the heater is not outside but immersed in the water. So I will say Venus is excellent but others may be catching up, or more precisely they may be moving down to catch others!
Old 4th December 2012, 09:34   #3312
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
How does the body get rusted in Bangalore? There should be no water outside. Where is the machine kept?

For Washing machine repair, I have used the services of these guys:

http://www.washingmachineclinic.com/

This was for a 14 year old National imported top loader washing machine that had the spring in the bottom damaged. These guys were able to procure the imported part even though it took 2 months and repaired the machine.

This was a long time ago in 2003-2004 so I'm not sure now.
Vid I too used these folks and they took almost 6 weeks to give my WM back but the service was good. They picked from home and delivered later.
Regarding rusting of body
WM is kept in balcony which is well ventilated (air and sun rays) and WM area was covered with glass but body got rusted from inside and one of the leg gone for the toss.
They gave two reason behind it
1. I was using detergent which had lot of foam :(
2. There was a leakage of water from the inlet pipe so water keep dropping in drops and corroded the body.
Lesson learnt or precaution taking now
1. Use less foamy detergent
2. Close the tap after use to avoid water leakage
3. Open the WM door so that it can dry after use
Old 4th December 2012, 09:38   #3313
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
1. Use less foamy detergent
2. Close the tap after use to avoid water leakage
I hope you are using the detergent meant for front loading machines. The reason why the detergent for front load is different and much more expensive is because it is far less foamy than the top load one. You cannot use regular detergent in front loader.

Tap closing may not be needed since the Siemens has the Aqua stop triple leak protection system.
Old 4th December 2012, 09:48   #3314
BANNED

I never close the tap of my washing machine, never done it for over 25 years! Ditto for the dishwashers. In fact I brought 1/4 turn valves with a 1/2"to 3/4"adapter built in from the UK in 1991, still in use. My valves are not even accessible easily.
Old 4th December 2012, 09:58   #3315
Team-BHP Support

I think I would check out few fancy stores which have opened up & see as to what they stock. A.O. Smith, followed by Crompton/Racold.

Can't go solar now. Once we build the first floor, I shall be converting it. Have a friend who supplies it to the gram panchayats (rural places) @ subsidy. Shall speak with him.

Quote:
I never close the tap of my washing machine, never done it for over 25 years! Ditto for the dishwashers. In fact I brought 1/4 turn valves with a 1/2"to 3/4"adapter built in from the UK in 1991, still in use. My valves are not even accessible easily.
Ditto with my sister's WM which is from National Panasonic. Its around 15 years old & the tap is never closed & no problems.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks