Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2012, 17:38   #3346
BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
OK. I got a call from the distributor and here is what he offered me :-

1000cu.ft model Chimney + 4 burner black glass top stove = 17K inclusive of installation ( Includes Rs.400 for Installation and roughly 400 bucks for PUC piping etc.
1000cu.ft model Chimney : Check your kitchen size if this is not more than required. I also finialized 1000cu.ft model Chimney but later found 750 is more than enough and save around 1000+ bucks of similar model with less rating. I purchased Faber some 6 yrs back
Old 11th December 2012, 17:42   #3347
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka_iitd View Post
1000cu.ft model Chimney : Check your kitchen size if this is not more than required. I also finialized 1000cu.ft model Chimney but later found 750 is more than enough and save around 1000+ bucks of similar model with less rating. I purchased Faber some 6 yrs back
It's about 14"X12" . Let me check if a lesser power rating would be sufficient and we use about 2L-2.5L oil per month
Old 12th December 2012, 16:37   #3348
Distinguished - BHPian

Had enough of this dilly dallying. I committed to the Glen fella.

Will be getting the Chimney + Glass-top Stove installed over this weekend.

I opted for a aliminium pipe instead of a PUC pipe so asthetically the steely look is retained and I understand those pipes anyways are also better for smoke-out

Deal: 17K all inclusive and I told him dont want a scratchcard ( a steam iron would be useless for us) and asked him to throw-in a steel bodied pop-up toaster (we were planning to buy one anyways) to which he agreed.

Finally, this Karan Johar love story with chimney ends. And, both starcast and audience are happy
Old 12th December 2012, 16:56   #3349
BHPian

Quote:
I opted for a aliminium pipe instead of a PUC pipe so asthetically the steely look is retained and I understand those pipes anyways are also better for smoke-out
Good you zeroed down
One observation after usage
Steel/PUC pipe gather sticky dust with time if they are not concealed due to oil usage in kitchen. PUC pipe can be cleaned with hot water/soap etc but aluminum pipe are soft and tend to bend/go inside when you apply presuure to clean it.
Look wise aluminum is great but looks remains for few months
I recommend to feel aluminum pipe to check if it can withstand cleaning pressure.
Old 12th December 2012, 17:01   #3350
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka_iitd View Post
Steel/PUC pipe gather sticky dust with time if they are not concealed due to oil usage in kitchen. PUC pipe can be cleaned with hot water/soap etc but aluminum pipe are soft and tend to bend/go inside when you apply presuure to clean it. Look wise aluminum is great but looks remains for few months.I recommend to feel aluminum pipe to check if it can withstand cleaning pressure.
Thats a very valid point. But, when i held the aliminium pipe in my hands it felt heavy and quite sturdy and had a wide gaping mouth ( 6" dia) whereas ours will be little smaller ( 4" dia)

Anyways, will still ask this question to them and hope to get a convincing answer
Old 12th December 2012, 18:12   #3351
BHPian

Hi,

In my new flat, I have to do the kitchen upgrade - rather need to put the basic stuff like Kitchen trolleys, kichen cabinets etc.

I need some feedback from users/ advise from you on the below points where I am not able to decide:

- Kitchen trolley cover/ overhead cabinets to be taken from Godrej interio or local reputed shops. Godrej charges approx 30-50% more as compared top rest.

Lookwise Godrej feels upmarket no doubt , but is it worth the extra I am shelling out ?

- To go for Plywood or MDF as base material , this is very important from looks and longitivity/ruggedness purpose.

Thanks .
Old 12th December 2012, 20:28   #3352
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazing View Post
Hi,

In my new flat, I have to do the kitchen upgrade - rather need to put the basic stuff like Kitchen trolleys, kichen cabinets etc.

I need some feedback from users/ advise from you on the below points where I am not able to decide:

- Kitchen trolley cover/ overhead cabinets to be taken from Godrej interio or local reputed shops. Godrej charges approx 30-50% more as compared top rest.

Lookwise Godrej feels upmarket no doubt , but is it worth the extra I am shelling out ?

- To go for Plywood or MDF as base material , this is very important from looks and longitivity/ruggedness purpose.

Thanks .
The basic stuff (Accessories) - trolleys, trays etc are what cost the maximum. Before you finalise please study the offerings by the following
- Godrej
- http://www.godrejinterio.com/godrej/...subsubcatid=78
- Kaff
- http://kaff.in/templates/categories....stems&catid=28
- http://kaff.in/templates/categories....stems&catid=24
- http://kaff.in/templates/categories....stems&catid=26
- Quba
- http://www.qubakitchens.in/appliances.html

All of them offer "Modular Kitchens" and they also supply the accessories. The cost of accessories depend on the make
- Indian stuff is pretty inexpensive but not as sturdy as the Imported stuff
- The drawers are either roller type (roll in and out but do not come out for cleaning) or the type which come out (these cost upwards of 7k each)
- There are a lot of options in "kitchen organizers" - Heavy duty shelves which slide/hinge out, but most of the good ones cost upwards of 35K
- For hinges and other hardware go only for "Hettich" http://www.hettich.com/discoverhettich/en/Hall.html

Regarding "Made by Carpenter" vs "Modular", unless the carpenter has access to high technology machinery (rare), ready made panels offered by Modular Kitchen suppliers are superior both in material and finish. Most of the modular stuff is a combination of MDF and prelaminated plywood processed in factory. The surface is bonded under high pressure press which cannot be duplicated at home.

I work with a builder and in my experience a properly designed and fitted kitchen starts at around 3L (with two Tall units, six 600mm shelves, a sink/under sink unit, unit to hold inbuilt microwave, oven and dish washer etc) for a narrow kitchen with 2 aisles of 7 feet each and goes beyond 20L for large (15' x 15') kitchens. The wood work costs about 30% and accessories the rest.
Old 12th December 2012, 22:53   #3353
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Hi,

Thanks .
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post1888720

To add, I haven't used Godrej Kitchen stuff, but some experience with their living room furniture. That also looks good, but the quality is basically crap.

Last edited by carboy : 12th December 2012 at 22:56.
Old 12th December 2012, 22:59   #3354
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hi,

Thanks .
When I was doing my Kitchen in Pune I used these guys:

Avant Garde
201, 25A, Road No 9, Goodwill Enclave VII,
Kalyani Nagar.
Pune – 411 006.
Tel : 020 – 266 58 666

Was very satisfied with the work.

Fittings were from Grass germany and I compared them with Godrej interio. This was coming out to lesser than Godrej Interio for the same work.
Old 12th December 2012, 23:39   #3355
BHPian

Quote:
OK. I got a call from the distributor and here is what he offered me :-

1000cu.ft model Chimney + 4 burner black glass top stove = 17K inclusive of installation ( Includes Rs.400 for Installation and roughly 400 bucks for PUC piping etc.

Along with above, Will be given a scratch card which has an assured gift and can be anything (Toaster/Iron/Juicer etc)

It's a bit above than what he initially indicated.

Is it a good deal? Need to finalize in 1-2 days
Even I am planning to go for a chimney and stove.Can you pass on the contact of the distributor if you dont mind?
Old 13th December 2012, 10:09   #3356
BHPian

Thansk ARoy, Carboy, Vid6639 for your inputs.

Looks like way is going with Modular only for better machine finish and quality.

will check with Avant Garde.

My budget is 1- 1.3 lac, not sure using many hitech imported stuff will allow me to get it withing that limit.
Old 13th December 2012, 10:38   #3357
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
My budget is 1- 1.3 lac, not sure using many hitech imported stuff will allow me to get it withing that limit.
Check with Sleek also (if Sleek is there in Pune). Sleek has good finish, good quality and prices are reasonable - make sure you ask for Marine Ply and not MDF.

I also have the number of an architect/contractor in Pune. They design as per your requirements and get work kitchen done by a carpenter at home. Quality of work is good and lasting. If you go this route, make sure you ask for brass hinges and Marine ply. PM me if you want the phone number of this contractor. He doesn't know me but I have seen some of the work he has done & it's very good.

Last edited by carboy : 13th December 2012 at 10:42.
Old 14th December 2012, 11:09   #3358
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
You get integrated washing machine + dryer in most brands these days. The only issue (if you can call it that) is that you can't dry the entire load in one go, e.g. if your wash load capacity is 8kg, the drying capacity will be around 5-6 kg (indicative).

In most Indian cities unless it's the middle of monsoon, you usually do not need a dryer since hanging clothes out works just fine. So I am not sure what you mean when you say your PRIMARY requirement is drying clothes.
Bringing back the topic of washing machines.

I just 'discovered' what noopster meant about integrated washing machine + dryer.

Earlier, I assumed this was the wash + spin type of machine that was being referred.
Now I found this: http://www.lg.com/in/washing-machine...er-dryer-combo
At around Rs. 42000 (approx.), this actually dries clothes to the extent that you can put them back in the wardrobe straight from the washing machine.

The reviews on mouthshut are mixed, but it seems like it works!

Basically, the cost is about Rs. 10000 more just due to the drying functionality.

Any first hand experiences to share?
Old 14th December 2012, 13:49   #3359
BANNED

I had a washer/dryer from 1989 till about 2000. There are two flaws - the drying weight is half that allowed for washing, and drying consumes a lot of power.
Old 14th December 2012, 14:17   #3360
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Any first hand experiences to share?
I have a second hand experience
Not sure about the exact model but a colleague bought a LG Washer + Dryer priced in the mid 40k range. For 100% drying though, he said the machine took ages (some 4 hours or so). It was not a defective piece or anything and even the sales guys were not aware of the dry time. Eventually he got it exchanged to a normal WM which needs line drying after the spin cycle.

Most Viewed