Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2013, 13:39   #3391
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
I am actually surprised about this requirement.
Are you limited by the floor space for the fridge?
Because in case you are not - having a fridge larger than what you think is necessary always works out good a few years down the line.
Both my wife and I are firm on the idea that a large fridge is a very unhealthy choice.

I do veggie shopping twice a week.
Meat/ Fish/ Poultry is almost always bought fresh and never in large quantities for storage.

Very Very rare that a dish gets leftover for more than a day.

My current Godrej 165 liter was bought in 2003. The only issue is a lot of frost formation as the door seals have started getting weak.

I am quite sure that right now the freezer has approximately 250 gms of mutton, which I bought yesterday.
The fridge has:
Butter and Jam.
Half a open carton of Milk.
1/2 of full cream milk.
Veggies I bought yesterday. They will last till Friday.
An open packet of uncooked pasta.

Sorry for the long post.
But I think it will more than explain my slightly peculiar requirement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
As per your rqmt the smallest 2 door fridge you can get is the Videocon 190 lts and it comes in grey. Would like to know the reason for having this reqmt - is it space limitation?
Thanks, I will check this out.

Last edited by bblost : 3rd January 2013 at 13:44.
Old 3rd January 2013, 13:40   #3392
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Which is the smallest two door frost free refrigerator available in India.

Budget can go upto 25k.
I just want the smallest one.
Must be available in either black or grey.
As per your rqmt the smallest 2 door fridge you can get is the Videocon 190 lts and it comes in grey. Would like to know the reason for having this reqmt - is it space limitation?
Old 3rd January 2013, 13:47   #3393
BANNED

Quote:
My current Godrej 165 liter was bought in 2003. The only issue is a lot of frost formation as the door seals have started getting weak.
Is it not fixable? My 7.5 year old Haier fridge developed a frost issue recently. The service guy fixed it in 1/2 hour. The problem was that there was vertical play in the top door (freezer door) because of which the door wasn't vertically aligned exactly with the freezer. SS-Traveller mentioned earlier in this thread about seals causing frost issue and I think he also mentioned that some seal issues can be repaired.

Last edited by carboy : 3rd January 2013 at 13:48.
Old 3rd January 2013, 13:52   #3394
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Is it not fixable? My 7.5 year old Haier fridge developed a frost issue recently. The service guy fixed it in 1/2 hour. The problem was that there was vertical play in the top door (freezer door) because of which the door wasn't vertically aligned exactly with the freezer. SS-Traveller mentioned earlier in this thread about seals causing frost issue and I think he also mentioned that some seal issues can be repaired.
I will run this by my wife. I guess it would not cost me no more than 500 rupees to fix this. Great if the issue gets fixed. If it does not and I will know that in less than month, I will buy a new fridge.

Now why did I not think of this. Maybe my dad is right, I have become the use-it discard-it generation.
Old 3rd January 2013, 14:29   #3395
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

In that case make sure that you look out ONLY for frost-free.
Many sales ppl at the shop will try to push "direct cool" also as frost free. Which is not the case.

The frost free is openly written along with the star rating and the power consumption figures in the Energy sticker.

http://www.flipkart.com/home-kitchen...zg&layout=grid
From this I see that the smallest would be around 220-230L.

Prices start from 14K.
Old 3rd January 2013, 23:30   #3396
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post

In that case make sure that you look out ONLY for frost-free.
Many sales ppl at the shop will try to push "direct cool" also as frost free. Which is not the case.....
Honestly, given the electrical supply situation I would always recommend a direct cool. Many years ago we did buy a frost free, but they are good only if the outages are minimum. If not, then the accumulated frost inside the fridge actually works by tiding over during the (long) power cut. A frost free is frost free only because the frost is 'outside' the fridge and a fan is blowing over it bringing the coolth into the fridge. As soon as the power goes off, the fan stops and the latent coolth trapped in the frost, by not being inside the fridge, is lost to the ambient outside.

Don't get me wrong, frost- free is great, but only if you have near uninterrupted power supply.

And trust me, when your family grows, you well need a larger fridge.

Last edited by LithiumSunset : 3rd January 2013 at 23:40.
Old 4th January 2013, 09:32   #3397
BANNED

@LithiumCool; Not many places are worst than Kanpur in terms of power outages. We have had frost free units since 1991. The first one (German Zanussi) had some issues with power outages but the current ones (both LG 430 and 280l) have had none. One thing though in the former I keep four ice packs which prevent icecream and frozen food safe even in long outages. Ice packs (called Kuhl Akku in German) are freely available abroad in Camping Shops, and are fairly inexpensive. The current lot I am using was bought by me in 1984!
Old 4th January 2013, 15:29   #3398
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Both my wife and I are firm on the idea that a large fridge is a very unhealthy choice...
And an empty fridge is the most expensive to run. Whenever the door is opened, the cold air just falls out, and there is nothing to "store the coldness."

When my small freezer is not full, I keep a (newspaper-wrapped) brick in it. This also helps get through the power cuts.

If you have a sparsely-filled fridge, try to fill it with something. Do remember to leave space for the air to circulate though, and if using something heavy like brick or stone, do make sure it doesn't strain the shelves.
Old 4th January 2013, 15:49   #3399
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

When my small freezer is not full, I keep a (newspaper-wrapped) brick in it. This also helps get through the power cuts.
I think much better than a brick would be bottles/jars/bowls of water.

EDIT - I read fridge, not freezer. Probably icepacks are much better for a freezer.
Old 5th January 2013, 09:27   #3400
BHPian

Re: Blood Glucose Monitor?

I am not sure this is the right thread, but would like to know about what would be the best blood glucose monitor.

Pl. let me know about the brand, price and also the one which has easy availability of the strips.
Old 5th January 2013, 13:24   #3401
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
One thing though in the former I keep four ice packs which prevent icecream and frozen food safe even in long outages. Ice packs (called Kuhl Akku in German) are freely available abroad in Camping Shops, and are fairly inexpensive. The current lot I am using was bought by me in 1984!
The other day, I was checking out ~350 ltr models. And Samsung had this Ice Pack thing kept inside their freezers. And the salesman confirmed that it does come along with the fridge.
Old 7th January 2013, 17:21   #3402
BHPian

Thanks for all the inputs guys , finally picked up the Bosch Front loading 16** series WM.
The quality of cleaning is quite good after semi using my parents Top Loading WM.Fresh & pure cleaning experience. Time taken for the hygienic (Intense Washing & cleaning function) is quite long but worth the wait, its not noisy at all.
To top it got a employee discount and looking forward to this experience.
Old 7th January 2013, 22:14   #3403
Team-BHP Support

My update:
Have booked http://www.samsung.com/in/consumer/h...RT2534PACSE/TL

at Croma.

As usual shopping at Croma was a very good experience. They have very well trained staff who are also very polite and attentive.

I actually found a 179 Liter frost free Sharp refrigerator in this store. It was perfect but beside it for almost the same price was this 240 Liter Samsung.
The fridge space in the Sharp was actually smaller than my old 165 Liter Direct Cool Godrej. So decided to skip it.

The final price was Rs 17500 with free home delivery. My home is around 20 kms away from the store.
Also got a Rs 700 off in exchange for my old fridge.
The freezer door was broken and hence I did not get the usual 1,000 rupees for old fridges.

Paid 16800 by credit card.
Old 7th January 2013, 23:19   #3404
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
I am not sure this is the right thread, but would like to know about what would be the best blood glucose monitor.

Pl. let me know about the brand, price and also the one which has easy availability of the strips.
Johnson and Johnson - 1700 or so here. Got 2 last month from amazon for 1100 each shipped in the US.
Old 7th January 2013, 23:26   #3405
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Johnson and Johnson - 1700 or so here. Got 2 last month from amazon for 1100 each shipped in the US.
Howz it? Could you please let me know the model number? Also, are the strips easily available in india? What is the approx. cost for say, 100 strips?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks