Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2013, 03:11   #3451
BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

I am looking for a good Coffee maker that has a steam option which can give effective steam to froth milk for a good Cappuchino. Recently bought a Sunflame one from Flipkart and while the Espresso is good, Steam is nothing to talk about.

My feel is that no domestic machine can fulfill this requirement owing to their small size which in turn has very small boilers inside. Any pointers?
Old 3rd February 2013, 10:16   #3452
BANNED

I used to have a Krups (from 1986 to 2006) and then went for a Spanish one under the Inalsa label, which I did not like, and now have a Morphy Richards which is almost identical to the old Krups. I do not think the tanksize has much of a role since 18gm/ml of water translates into 22.4 litres+ of steam. I also have a South Indian filter and a stove top one cup coffee maker from CCD.
Old 3rd February 2013, 10:20   #3453
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
Call Kenstar customer care which is on their website, they will send execute to your home itself. They charge Rs 150 for visit. They carry most things, had good experince, used it for 3-4 times.
Thanks, will try the same.

Rohan
Old 3rd February 2013, 13:52   #3454
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
For some strange reason Siemens website does not show any Dishwashers.

You can also look at Bosch. Both dishwashers are identical and it is like a branding exercise similar to Renault Scala and Nissan Sunny.

The one which I have is the Siemens equivalent of this one:

http://www.bosch-home.com/in/product...?source=browse

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I have an LG dishwasher bought three months ago for about 28k. Consumables (soap, salt and shine) by mail order from Finish. No hassles. During 1991-99 I had an AEG420, which I initially used with washing machine detergent.
My maid is again causing troubles,so finally thinking of buying a dishwasher.
How is your experience with dishwasher vis-a-vis maids?
Are there some things i need to be prepared for before buying one?
How much time does it take to clean the utensils on an average?
Some people have written upto 3 hours,Is it so?
Is it successful in cleaning all sorts of dishes ?

thanks

Last edited by k2max6 : 3rd February 2013 at 13:55.
Old 3rd February 2013, 14:39   #3455
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2max6 View Post

My maid is again causing troubles,so finally thinking of buying a dishwasher.
How is your experience with dishwasher vis-a-vis maids?
Are there some things i need to be prepared for before buying one?
How much time does it take to clean the utensils on an average?
Is it successful in cleaning all sorts of dishes ?

thanks
Dishwasher is not a dream solution to maid issues. Reason is it does involve work for whoever operates it. Cleaning filters, spray arms, stacking dishes properly. Also better to use dishwasher capable or aligned dishes. Eg plates without side walls. Then there is need to remove excess food before stacking. Also many dishes that don't fit well will probably need handwash as well as burnt dishes. Also takes 2:45 hrs for a wash. There is a quick wash cycle around half that time...
But inspite of all this my wife is happy with the Samsung.

To prepare check finish.co.in and buy one set of detergent, salt and shine bundle.
Check position where you intend installing it and get the plumber to do the necessary piping work. Best to use a plumber who has done this specifically before.
Old 3rd February 2013, 15:06   #3456
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post

Dishwasher is not a dream solution to maid issues. Reason is it does involve work for whoever operates it. Cleaning filters, spray arms, stacking dishes properly. Also better to use dishwasher capable or aligned dishes. Eg plates without side walls. Then there is need to remove excess food before stacking. Also many dishes that don't fit well will probably need handwash as well as burnt dishes. Also takes 2:45 hrs for a wash. There is a quick wash cycle around half that time...
But inspite of all this my wife is happy with the Samsung.

To prepare check finish.co.in and buy one set of detergent, salt and shine bundle.
Check position where you intend installing it and get the plumber to do the necessary piping work. Best to use a plumber who has done this specifically before.
+1 to whatever has been said above. You don't have to rinse, just scrape off leftovers. We didn't change any of our dishes, but you will like how clean they come out.

Does it really matter if they take 3 hours to be done? Our usual cycle is once daily timed to run late into the night to get them warm, dry and sparkling in the morning. A dishwasher also uses far less water than hand washing does.

Mind you it's not cheaper than the maid, but that's not going to be so for long. Domestic help is bound to become expensive as our economies grow and the labour class starts to get what is really due to them. So since one can't afford them, you wouldn't mind scraping off that milk pot!

It's time to make the switch. Just the way the washing machine became a necessity about 20 years ago.

Last edited by LithiumSunset : 3rd February 2013 at 15:15.
Old 3rd February 2013, 15:53   #3457
BANNED

Quote:
1. How is your experience with dishwasher vis-a-vis maids?
2. Are there some things i need to be prepared for before buying one?
3. How much time does it take to clean the utensils on an average?
4. Is it successful in cleaning all sorts of dishes ?
1. My wife calls a maid as a two legged dishwasher. Glassware is far cleaner (no drying marks) than a handwash. Remember the dishes are far more sterile after the drying cycle, and no wiping is required.
2. You need plumbing (water in and drain) and stock up on Detergent, Salt and Shine. Finish is also available by mail order. Initial charge of salt is about 1.75kg. The water in has a 3/4" threaded pipe connector.
3. Three hours is the upper limit. Most of the time is taken in drying. My LG has an auto restart so can handle power outages.
4. All dishes should be rinsed under a tap and any leftovers removed. If you have badly soiled pots (like woks after deep frying) then some scrubbing prior to washing maybe required. Just watch out some plastic handles in sauce and fry-pans may not be able to take the heat. Also, some cups with deep dimples on the bottom may have some water left in the dimples after a wash cycle.

Last edited by sgiitk : 3rd February 2013 at 15:55.
Old 3rd February 2013, 16:22   #3458
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
2. You need plumbing (water in and drain) and stock up on Detergent, Salt and Shine. Finish is also available by mail order. Initial charge of salt is about 1.75kg. The water in has a 3/4" threaded pipe connector.
I would assume Salt is necessary only in case you have bore wall water. And Shine is mostly optional.

Because I have used Dishwashers abroad for 6 years and never used Salt and used Shine only rarely.

Do you know what' the quantity of Detergent in the Rs. 250 pack of Finnish's website - because that doesn't seem to be mentioned anywhere on the site.
Old 3rd February 2013, 16:28   #3459
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post

I would assume Salt is necessary only in case you have bore wall water. And Shine is mostly optional.

Because I have used Dishwashers abroad for 6 years and never used Salt and used Shine only rarely.

Do you know what' the quantity of Detergent in the Rs. 250 pack of Finnish's website - because that doesn't seem to be mentioned anywhere on the site.
We get metro water I.e government supplied. Still we use salt. I think the machine gives a warning when this level is low.
The detergent is 1kg, so is the salt.
Old 3rd February 2013, 17:01   #3460
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
We get metro water I.e government supplied. Still we use salt. I think the machine gives a warning when this level is low.
The detergent is 1kg, so is the salt.
There must be a setting to turn this off.

I used 5 different models of dishwashers in 6 years and never have I purchased or added any 'salt'. And one of those 5 dishwashers I used continuously for 4 years. I have bought the 'Shine' (actually JetDry) once or twice. Since I never had too many glass stuff, it was hardly ever used.

Last edited by carboy : 3rd February 2013 at 17:02.
Old 3rd February 2013, 18:00   #3461
BHPian

Thanks everyone for the prompt reply. I will most probably go in for a Samsung dishwasher(DW-FN320T) as i might be getting a discount coupon for the same. I hope its good ? ?
One Last question
Is it ok to place the dishwasher over the counter,as i have some idle space in one corner next to the sink with water supply as well.I just feel it would be convenient to use it at eye level?

EDIT: Was just going thrugh reviews on the samsung website , i wonder who they ask to write the reviews.
just take a look : http://www.samsung.com/in/consumer/h...nsumer-reviews
3 of 2 people say its not high definition

Last edited by k2max6 : 3rd February 2013 at 18:06.
Old 3rd February 2013, 18:38   #3462
BANNED

Quote:
Is it ok to place the dishwasher over the counter,as i have some idle space in one corner next to the sink with water supply as well.I just feel it would be convenient to use it at eye level?
IMHO, it would be very inconvenient for loading/unloading unless it's a small countertop kind of dishwasher.
Old 3rd February 2013, 19:14   #3463
BHPian

Quote:
One Last question
Dishwashers are generally designed to go under the counter. LxB are as big as washing machine. H is approx 2ft. They weigh 30+ kgs.

IMO, keeping them over the counter will not be a feasible idea.

BTW, We have been using Bosch DW since last 1.5 years now and our experience is no different from what others have given.

The fell of sparkling clean warm utensils is just worth every penny!

Regards,
Old 3rd February 2013, 19:30   #3464
Senior - BHPian

Guys
I am planning to go for a Microwave with the convection feature. usage is primarily reheating with an occassional baking application. we used to have a Samsung plain micro wave oven which serves us quite well. Now i understand the panel is gone and parts are not available.

from my search online, with similar features, the cheaper options turned out to be the below. Pls share your valuable inputs

1) Whirlpool 20 Litres 20C118 Convection Microwave Oven
2)Onida 20 Chef MO20CJS26S
3) LG MC2149BB Convection Microwave
4) Morphy Richards MWO 23 MCG Convection
5) Whirlpool MW 20 BC Convection Microwave

The above are in the Rs6500-8000 range. Are any of the above brands troublesome with a poor reputation ? if so, should i up my budget and go for any other superior brand for my usage pattern given above ?

thanks for your inputs
Old 3rd February 2013, 23:25   #3465
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Will vary in amount according to how soft or hard your water is. A very rough guide to this is how much lather you get when you wash your hands with a bar of soap. Back in UK, i used to get hardly any in London, and seemed to spend forever rinsing it off in south-west. Mains, treated (fit to drink ) water in both places.

Never had a dishwasher at home, but, as one of the IT managers, the office dishwasher and fridge came under my responsibility . Full salt dose needed. Without it, you get those hard water marks that many of us know from not drying the car properly after washing it.

Most Viewed