Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2013, 09:25   #3481
BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I am on my second Faber. The old one lasted over aa years! One reason I bought another (near identical) Faber is that it was just a slot in job to replace. I have been very happy with them.
Thanks sgiitk. So you recommend Faber is the brand. I want to send one to my home town. Hence I will be purchasing something here in Bangalore and sending it.

Are these installed by the Brands themselves as a complimentary service?

Also, what kind of A.S.S is required and your experience with Faber since you seem to have used them over a long period.

How long did the first Faber last?
Old 13th February 2013, 19:36   #3482
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by areddy View Post

I am also looking at purchasing one soon. Please share your experience about different brands in terms of pricing. What did you end up buying in the end?
My 2 Paise, buy one with baffle filter, its much easier to clean. Look for one with a metal motor, they are sturdier. Buy one which evacuates about 750 cum per hour, that should suffice for a normal kitchen, giving about 20 air changes on the hour. We have a Faber too.
Old 14th February 2013, 09:39   #3483
BANNED

@areddy; Fixing is a cinch. You need to put a couple of screws in the wall and then slot it into these. I agree with @LithiumSunset that baffle is the way. I bought a SS one without a chinney - It is a Cleo 700 LTW SS with a list price of 11590. I paid 9270. The site is http://www.faberspa.co.in/in/en/home...al-Series.html
Old 14th February 2013, 11:33   #3484
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@areddy; Fixing is a cinch. You need to put a couple of screws in the wall and then slot it into these. I agree with @LithiumSunset that baffle is the way. I bought a SS one without a chinney -
This looks interesting. I was going "on and off" on idea of buying a chimney thinking about the ugly outlet pipe running all around the kitchen and the job of getting a hole done in the wall for outlet and all.

Is this hood-less chimney efficient enough for not so high oil based cooking?
Also, what is the power consumption for your chimney?

Regards,
Old 18th February 2013, 20:04   #3485
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amohit View Post
This looks interesting. I was going "on and off" on idea of buying a chimney thinking about the ugly outlet pipe running all around the kitchen and the job of getting a hole done in the wall for outlet and all.

Regards,
Please understand that it is best if the you do manage a pipe to the outside, otherwise all that a chimney will do is to recirculate the air within the kitchen. But then it can't be called a chimney, can it? :-)

I think Indian cooking, however light on oil, requires good ventilation. If you don't like ugly pipes running around, then it is better to install an exhaust fan. Of course over a period of time all that grime is going to settle on the fan and the surrounding wall will become discoloured but at least it will give you the required ventilation. What a piped chimney (hood) does is to bring that grime closer by trapping it in the filter and makes it easier to clean. A chimney hood is more efficient because it traps the smoke closest to the source etc. etc. But I'm sure you already know all this obvious gyaan!

BTW all kitchen hoods can be installed in the 'recirculation' mode, even the fancy ones with that vertical shaft like cover.

Cheers.

Last edited by LithiumSunset : 18th February 2013 at 20:07.
Old 19th February 2013, 12:28   #3486
BHPian

Looking to buy an OTG with rotisserie primarily for grilling NV dishes , any suggestions pls
Old 19th February 2013, 21:51   #3487
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amohit View Post

Regards,
A hood less chimney basically recirculates the air through a carbon filter, which is what removes all the grime. So, the efficiency should be good - provided the filters are changed in a timely fashion.
Old 1st March 2013, 22:57   #3488
BHPian

Gas cooking range

Hi,

I love grilled/bar-b-qued food and I am planning to purchase a cooking range to prepare them at home.

Could you please suggest:
1. If cooking range is the best bet for me or if there exists a better option. I have tried microwave oven with grill, but the outcome was not perfect. I am hoping that the cooking range would solve the purpose.
2. It looks like most of the cooking ranges in India are gas operated. Is there going to be any problem with gas operated ovens?
3. I am not sure about the brand that I should opt for. After looking at Kaff, Glen and Elica, I liked both Kaff & Elica, but Elica seems to be built a little better and also cheaper than Kaff - not sure about Elica's reliability though. Is there a better brand that I am missing?

I have shortlisted a couple of options:

1. Elica - http://www.elicaindia.com/product-sh...es/F-6402-NGRH - Rs.37000

2. Kaff - http://kaff.in/templates/product.php...id=167&startp= - Rs.43000

I look forward to your thoughts as I would like to purchase in a day or two. Please suggest.

Thanks!
Old 2nd March 2013, 13:35   #3489
Senior - BHPian

Re: Gas cooking range

Grill and ovens buit in to the cooking range definitely give better results than those in MWs.

You can get cooking ranges with electric grills & ovens from both Elica & Faber.

http://www.elicaindia.com/product-sh...ct_details/234

http://www.faberspa.co.in/in/en/home...V-631-ADX.html

BTW, both Elica and Faber are made at the same address.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ece2k2 View Post
Hi,

I love grilled/bar-b-qued food and I am planning to purchase a cooking range to prepare them at home.

Could you please suggest:
1. If cooking range is the best bet for me or if there exists a better option. I have tried microwave oven with grill, but the outcome was not perfect. I am hoping that the cooking range would solve the purpose.
2. It looks like most of the cooking ranges in India are gas operated. Is there going to be any problem with gas operated ovens?
3. I am not sure about the brand that I should opt for. After looking at Kaff, Glen and Elica, I liked both Kaff & Elica, but Elica seems to be built a little better and also cheaper than Kaff - not sure about Elica's reliability though. Is there a better brand that I am missing?

I have shortlisted a couple of options:

1. Elica - http://www.elicaindia.com/product-sh...es/F-6402-NGRH - Rs.37000

2. Kaff - http://kaff.in/templates/product.php...id=167&startp= - Rs.43000

I look forward to your thoughts as I would like to purchase in a day or two. Please suggest.

Thanks!
Old 2nd March 2013, 14:07   #3490
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post

You can get cooking ranges with electric grills & ovens from both Elica & Faber.
Thanks Khoj.

Would you suggest me to get the cooking range with electric grill/oven or the ones with the gas oven - coz the gas based ones seems to be cheaper. If it is really worth to stretch my budget to get the electric option, I can do that.

Since Elica and Faber are manufactured at the same address, I think I will go with the one that comes cheaper. Do you think that the Kaff cooking ranges are built better than Elica/Faber - as the Kaff ones seems to be little expensive.

I looked at the Elica cooking range and it says "Made in Europe" and the fit/finish seems to be good enough. Typically, how long does a cooking range last without issues - if maintained well? Since this is going to be quite a bit of investment for me, I would like to make sure that I don't end up spending a lot on the spares/service down the line.

Thanks again.
Old 2nd March 2013, 14:15   #3491
BHPian

One more question. Which is the better brand for a 2 door 350/400 litres refrigerator (I am okay with both top and bottom mounted freezer options). I had a look at Panasonic, Hitachi, Sharp and Bosch. All these are priced around 25 to 35k, but not sure which of these are the most reliable in the market. Just to let you know, I am not looking for any fancy features or looks and all I want is a solid/reliable refrigerator.
Old 2nd March 2013, 15:58   #3492
BHPian

Searched the thread for the word "toaster" and got a lot of results with people reporting dead toasters in 1-2 years. I don't think they make them like they used to anymore.

We really need a toaster at home for quicker breakfasts but have been unable to decide which one to go for. I'd ideally like something "desi" and full metal (don't want plastic in my food) since they're generally manufactured with jugaad in mind (we fixed our 10 year old iron thrice ourselves). If you're familiar with any industrial grade toasters, I'd be happy with those too (not sure where to find them, though). Nothing fancy, simplest of controls, just a 2 slice toaster that evenly browns bread without being a pain.

Thank you!!
Old 2nd March 2013, 16:19   #3493
Team-BHP Support

Hellmet,

Before you buy check pepperfry.com

They have deals like 15 to 20 % off on a wide range of toasters.
Old 2nd March 2013, 16:30   #3494
BHPian

Pepperfry offers huge discounts for new registered members, but the reviews of the website online have put me off a purchase on their website. I previously had a bad experience with Myntra and their coupons so I've become a bit wary every since. Have you had any experience with PepperFry?

I recently ordered an induction cooktop (COD) from Snapdeal which never arrived on time. 3 days after promised delivery, the courier guy calls and asks if I want delivery. I had to refuse. Looks like I'm unlucky with purchases online, for I've even had issues with Flipkart :(

I never once had a problem ordering anything in the US, though.
Old 2nd March 2013, 18:49   #3495
Senior - BHPian

I cannot say that electric ones are better than gas based or the other way round. I prefer the electric one as when I read stuff like "equipped with Flame
Failure Device for oven and grill" I get nervous. Sure they would work when new but how about a few years down the line when the stuff has accumulated grease and other deposits. We have a nearly 15 year old Inalsa with electric grill and oven and these gave up the ghost a few months ago (the burners are still going strong). The circuits went kaput, clean bowled and that is what I like. Either it works or it does not without dependence on some safety device that might or might not work(my thoughts). A burners flame one can see but cannot expect someone to be bent in half looking in to the grill+oven cavity etc etc... you get the gist, anyhow enough of my ranting on this.

I honestly do not have any specific technical reason for choosing electric over gas fired so let me end this by saying that it is a personal choice.

All three are basically European brands so should be similar on most counts.

BTW the model of Elica that you say is made in Europe or EU for that matter. Was this actually on the device or on one of the web pages, do clarify. If it were on the range itself please share the specific model number.

As for the fridge all of the makes listed by you are well known brands. I would suggest that you go with a balance of features (such as Inverter tech), personal liking(of the lady of the house) and support availability. Of these I think Panasonic is the strongest in terms of support and overall reach. The rest would more or less be in the same boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ece2k2 View Post
Thanks Khoj.

Would you suggest me to get the cooking range with electric grill/oven or the ones with the gas oven - coz the gas based ones seems to be cheaper. If it is really worth to stretch my budget to get the electric option, I can do that.

Since Elica and Faber are manufactured at the same address, I think I will go with the one that comes cheaper. Do you think that the Kaff cooking ranges are built better than Elica/Faber - as the Kaff ones seems to be little expensive.

I looked at the Elica cooking range and it says "Made in Europe" and the fit/finish seems to be good enough. Typically, how long does a cooking range last without issues - if maintained well? Since this is going to be quite a bit of investment for me, I would like to make sure that I don't end up spending a lot on the spares/service down the line.

Thanks again.

Most Viewed