Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2013, 08:52   #3631
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

An impromptu purchase couple of days ago. Bought our 2nd fridge as current one (Samsung 350L, bought a year ago) was not enough for storing food items.

We bought a smaller fridge, 215L (LG) for Rs.15,300

Also bought a stabilizer (Monitor) for Rs.1200 even though I was insisting to my better half its not required.

Exchanged our old 165L BPL non-working fridge for Rs.500

Stabilizers is no longer mandatory for fridges these days as they come with in-built one. Is my assumption correct?
Old 4th May 2013, 09:16   #3632
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Stabilizers is no longer mandatory for fridges these days as they come with in-built one. Is my assumption correct?
All modern drive motors of domestic appliances are capable of working safely with in the Voltage range a Stabilizer cuts off itself. There is a trip relay which will facilitate switching off of the compressor on low voltage and overload. Hence it is absolutely safe to operate a fridge without a stabilizer. I am operating in this manner for the past two and a half years.

I need an advice on buying a Microwave oven as my more than a decade old IFB make micro wave conked off. Service guy says the repair cost would be Rs 3500 plus as the transformer and a PCB is to be replaced. Which make is trouble free from members' experience and which one to go in for; Grill or Convection type?

Last edited by rajeev k : 4th May 2013 at 09:19.
Old 4th May 2013, 09:23   #3633
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
8 years back when I was buying a fridge, I had asked this question to a friend who works in the electrical field. Even then he said that I did not need one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
which one to go in for; Grill or Convection type?
Just search through this thread - this has been discussed many times. Last time probably a few weeks back.
Old 7th May 2013, 17:39   #3634
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
All modern drive motors of domestic appliances are capable of working safely with in the Voltage range a Stabilizer cuts off itself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
8 years back when I was buying a fridge, I had asked this question to a friend who works in the electrical field. Even then he said that I did not need one.
Thanks. Well, this has re-emphasized my belief that you can never win an argument with your better half as they know better (or atleast think they know better )
Old 8th May 2013, 09:04   #3635
BANNED

@mobike008; Two Golden rules for happiness

1. The boss is always right.
2. If the boss is wrong see Rule 1.
Old 8th May 2013, 09:27   #3636
BHPian

Any recommendation for a food processor? Heavy usage of the juicer and grater is not expected. The chutney jar would be used almost every alternate days though.
Old 8th May 2013, 09:50   #3637
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpeshc View Post
Any recommendation for a food processor? Heavy usage of the juicer and grater is not expected. The chutney jar would be used almost every alternate days though.
Though expensive get a Kenwood. My previous one (Chef) lasted from 1989 till 2010, with daily usage
Old 8th May 2013, 11:39   #3638
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Please avoid Kenstar. I have one and its plastic quality is pathetic.

Rohan
Old 8th May 2013, 12:21   #3639
BHPian

How's Bajaj when it comes to service and support?
Old 8th May 2013, 13:24   #3640
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

I don't really know but I used to think the same until the Panasonic service guy knocked our doors last year to install the new refrigerator. I was like wanting to run it without the stabilizer, but he told me that people 'assume' its safe but a stabilizer should be used. Out of fear, I reached out to my old stabilizer which we used for our old Kelvinator 165L and its doing duty for the 300 lts Panasonic too. Better safe than sorry theory applied.

Also a quick search on internet suggests the same as the inbuilt 'stabilizers' of the refrigerators are not capable enough to handle wide fluctuations.

Regards,
Saket
Old 8th May 2013, 13:58   #3641
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@mobike008; Two Golden rules for happiness

1. The boss is always right.
2. If the boss is wrong see Rule 1.
+1

Btw, boss wants to buy a microwave. We saw last weekend an IFB Microwave which was priced at Rs.9500.

It was sleek, silver front and black backside with many preset options for heating and cooking

Since they only had display piece, we didnt pick it up

How is IFB in Microwaves? According to sales guy, IFB makes only Washing Machines and Microwave? True?

Quote:
How's Bajaj when it comes to service and support?
We bought a Bajaj Pop-Toaster last weekend along with Panasonic Rice Cooker

Bajaj gives good support and service as per the sales guys that we spoke with. Hope not to experience them for a few year down the line
Old 8th May 2013, 15:10   #3642
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

How is IFB in Microwaves? According to sales guy, IFB makes only Washing Machines and Microwave? True?

IFB has a range of home appliances like washing machines, microwaves, dishwashers, kitchen chimneys, hobs, dryers and some washing detergents and other additives. Recently they have also come up with modular kitchen set ups, so what the sales guy told you is not true.

Regarding the toaster, I went for a Philips toaster. Somehow, I have not been able to put my trust in Bajaj, at least for electricals. I remember their poor quality bulbs in early days, that impression is still to fade. So, I stay away from Bajaj.

BTW, just a suggestion, if you had completed the microwave purchase earlier, then you might have saved some money on the separate rice cooker. What do you think?
Old 8th May 2013, 16:11   #3643
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
IFB has a range of home appliances like washing machines, microwaves, dishwashers, kitchen chimneys, hobs, dryers and some washing detergents and other additives. Recently they have also come up with modular kitchen set ups, so what the sales guy told you is not true.
Well, I take all sales talk with a pinch of salt ( especially since Iam also in same profession)

Never saw IFB chimneys, hobs etc..So in a way what he says is true then. They arent so popular in other segments of Home Appliances

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
BTW, just a suggestion, if you had completed the microwave purchase earlier, then you might have saved some money on the separate rice cooker. What do you think?
You mean because we could have cooked rice in a Microwave? No way

For us, Microwave is a separate appliance than a rice cooker and will always be.
Old 8th May 2013, 16:16   #3644
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

You mean because we could have cooked rice in a Microwave? No way

For us, Microwave is a separate appliance than a rice cooker and will always be.
Any particular reasons? We cook rice quite often in the microwave but willing to change this if there is some reason (esp. health related) as I am very finicky about cleanliness and general healthy living.

Talking about the sales guys, I was told by them only that IFB microwaves are not that good as much as their Washing machines and dishwashers. This was some 5 years ago. I was tempted to go with IFB microwave as it looked really good. But then later went with Electrolux. Its running fine since then.

Thanks.

Last edited by saket77 : 8th May 2013 at 16:18.
Old 8th May 2013, 16:27   #3645
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I got a Panasonic cooker too. I wanted the steaming basket and went for the bigger capacity model, but now it seems too big. We hardly make 2 cups of rice a day.
Price - 2860 with the steaming basket.

Most Viewed