Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2013, 17:14   #3646
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
I don't really know but I used to think the same until the Panasonic service guy knocked our doors last year to install the new refrigerator. I was like wanting to run it without the stabilizer, but he told me that people 'assume' its safe but a stabilizer should be used. Out of fear, I reached out to my old stabilizer which we used for our old Kelvinator 165L and its doing duty for the 300 lts Panasonic too. Better safe than sorry theory applied.

Also a quick search on internet suggests the same as the inbuilt 'stabilizers' of the refrigerators are not capable enough to handle wide fluctuations.

Regards,
Saket
Not sure about Panasonic, the Samsung I have had for the last 5 years hasn't had a stabilizer. The built in one will handle 130-250 volt fluctuation. I had had some serious spikes that burnt up my computer speaker(something inside anyway), the fridge is working fine.

Just make sure that the stabilizer is in good condition, the running joke about stabilizer reliability is the in ten years even though you bought three fridges, you have used the same stabilizer.
Old 8th May 2013, 17:15   #3647
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
I got a Panasonic cooker too. I wanted the steaming basket and went for the bigger capacity model, but now it seems too big. We hardly make 2 cups of rice a day.
Price - 2860 with the steaming basket.
We bought the model with next lower capacity. It costed some 2200 or something like like that

We (excluding me) eat rice daily for dinner but, in very small quanity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Any particular reasons? We cook rice quite often in the microwave but willing to change this if there is some reason (esp. health related) as I am very finicky about cleanliness and general healthy living.
Well, I have been brought up with rice being cooked the traditional way in copper vessels and I still like rice cooked in them than pressure cooker

Rice is perfectly cooked with each grain fully blown and nicely separated.

Rice cooked in Pressure cooker isnt that finely cooked, sloppy and just doesnt taste that great and hasnt the same aroma as well.

I dread to think how the rice will be cooked from a Microwave. Have no information whether its bad for health but, its a general practice thatI note from majority population that we should not be cooking rice in a microwave
Old 8th May 2013, 17:19   #3648
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
Just make sure that the stabilizer is in good condition, the running joke about stabilizer reliability is the in ten years even though you bought three fridges, you have used the same stabilizer.
That is true. Our previous Kelvinator was doing its duty since 1986 and still was on duty the day we bought the Panasonic.

Earlier even I was running the new fridge without the stabilizer but the service guy advised for it. So, I have attached it.
& yes, its a 17 year old stabilizer, still going strong. Made by Nu-lite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
I dread to think how the rice will be cooked from a Microwave. Have no information whether its bad for health but, its a general practice thatI note from majority population that we should not be cooking rice in a microwave
You are right in this aspect. Rice cooked in a microwave has a different aroma and surely not 'fully blown'.

Thanks.

Last edited by saket77 : 8th May 2013 at 17:24.
Old 9th May 2013, 09:38   #3649
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Please avoid Kenstar. I have one and its plastic quality is pathetic.
Just a clarification, Kenstar and Kenwood are totally different animals.
Old 9th May 2013, 12:56   #3650
Distinguished - BHPian

Very different. The Kenwood Chef has been around as long as I can remember. It is the Rolls Royce of mixers --- and it is priced accordingly.
Old 9th May 2013, 13:57   #3651
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Just a clarification, Kenstar and Kenwood are totally different animals.
Definitely they are totally different.

Kenstar food processor is a low price product. It does the job, but may not last long. (I am using one, the plastic parts are very fragile)

Kenwood, on the other hand, is priced higher but will also last longer (based on feedback from forum members).

Rohan
Old 9th May 2013, 14:15   #3652
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Very different. The Kenwood Chef has been around as long as I can remember. It is the Rolls Royce of mixers --- and it is priced accordingly.
Well said. As mentioned earlier mine lasted from 1989 till 2011. Then the liquidiser jar gave up. We had bought a new one for about Rs.54k with a set of accessories, so just switched to the new set. Considering I am 60+ it should last for the rest of my lifetime.

There is a cheaper and smaller one for about 18k.
Old 9th May 2013, 15:04   #3653
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
We had bought a new one for about Rs.54k with a set of accessories. There is a cheaper and smaller one for about 18k.
54k/18k???
seriously??? for a food processor jar??
Old 9th May 2013, 22:07   #3654
BHPian

I am in the market for a cooktop. Brands like Faber, Glen, etc seem to be all equally good; after all a cooktop is not really a high tech thing. In any case, are there any specific brands I should choose interms of reliability and spares (after sales service)?
Old 10th May 2013, 09:02   #3655
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by amohit View Post
54k/18k???
seriously??? for a food processor jar??
I am talking about a new unit (liquidizer, beater, meat grinder -I replaced it with another jar, and a dry grinder with four jars) not just the liquidiser jar. The 18k unit also comes with the beater and liquidiser. Thanks for pointing out the small lack of clarity.
Old 10th May 2013, 12:12   #3656
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
I am in the market for a cooktop. Brands like Faber, Glen, etc seem to be all equally good; after all a cooktop is not really a high tech thing. In any case, are there any specific brands I should choose in terms of reliability and spares (after sales service)?
Though it may not look it, Gas burners are pretty high tech these days

Look for the following features
. Number of burners - to accommodate the maximum number of pots you may use
. Burner spacing - large enough to use with your pots simultaneously
. Burner range - from a large burner for the times when you may want to cook for a party to a small one for making one cup of tea.
. Cast Iron burners are the best followed by forged brass
. Company should have a list price of individual burners. Beware of "assurance" that they will give when needed, believe only those who list it out.
. Lastly check how easy it is to clean the base. Ideally the stands and the burner tops should be detachable to clean up after heavy cooking (or spilling?)
Old 10th May 2013, 12:42   #3657
BANNED

I'm planning to buy a new fully automatic washing machine tomorrow. My budget is 20-25K.

I'm having some questions:

1. Which brand should I go for among Samsung, Whirlpool, LG, IFB, Panasonic etc. ?
2. My priorities are peace of mind & A.S.S
Old 10th May 2013, 13:01   #3658
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
I'm planning to buy a new fully automatic washing machine tomorrow. My budget is 20-25K.

1. Which brand should I go for among Samsung, Whirlpool, LG, IFB, Panasonic etc. ?
First of all check up who has the best after sales service in your area.

I had an IFB for 10+ years and have now bought an LG 6kg. IFB has excellent service in South Delhi, but pathetic at most places. LG has good service in Metros but not sure if that is the case in smaller towns.
Old 10th May 2013, 13:15   #3659
BHPian

My Parents bought LG two weeks back after good feedback from friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post

Old 10th May 2013, 13:46   #3660
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
I had an IFB for 10+ years and have now bought an LG 6kg. IFB has excellent service in South Delhi, but pathetic at most places.
We have an IFB for last 14-15 years. Still going strong and looking good for some more years. Thankfully, the service at my place is very good which encouraged me to buy IFB DW too. If the service is good at your place, I don't see reasons not to go for an IFB.

Most Viewed