Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2013, 14:20   #3691
BANNED

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

A fridge, is it? Oh well, in that case the very opposite applies,
So with a fridge, the more tightly the clothes are packed, the better they wash?
Old 8th June 2013, 16:48   #3692
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes, carboy, exactly right! Especially if it is a microwave fridge

More seriously, and forcing myself to at least try to be sensible: an empty fridge is expensive to run. There is nothing to store the coldness.

When my small freezer is nearly empty, I put a brick in it! I'd better make sure never to get so confused that I put the... !
Old 13th June 2013, 21:33   #3693
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Where are you located in Bangalore? I know their service centre near Marathahalli, it is located here : http://goo.gl/maps/QapFZ
Also their regional office is located near Koramangala Bus stand : http://goo.gl/maps/pjJC6

Since you are not able to get through the call you can try these directly. In case you are staying far from either of these locations do let know I will try getting the office phone numbers
Thanks mkpsuhas, I was able to contact the toll free number and got the WM repaired. I think they took it to the Marthahalli center. The guy who came to service said that the bearing is gone and has to be replaced, but later got a call from the workshop that the motor is gone. Got it replaced, and got the WM back on the 3rd day. They did not return the old motor though.
Old 18th June 2013, 14:49   #3694
BHPian

Folks need some help to decide if a RO purifier is effective and safe. I have been buying bubble tops of Kinley, Parrys and Fosters for about 10 years now. The changing of cans is tough on the body. So thought would check if anyone in Chennai is using this RO against the Metro Water. I've read Metro water is 100% contaminated, so never gave it a thought.
I've just purchased a cycle hoist to mount a bicycle on the ceiling and thought would try that out to mount the cans. However, if the RO is a viable option, I do not mind going in for that. Anyone in Chennai using it, please do share your feedback.
Old 18th June 2013, 15:47   #3695
Distinguished - BHPian

I have been using an RO unit for the past six years or more.

Until recently we were outside the city boundary, and our water supply continues to be panchayat, rather than Metro Water. It is not treated, is even occasionally slightly salty, and can be considered unsafe for anything but washing --- but neither my wife nor I have ever had any illness where our own RO-treated water might have been the culprit (or, at least, other obvious things were much higher on the list).

The thing to remember about a domestic water purifier is that it is good as its maintenance. However, you know when your machine was last serviced: you cannot know when the restaurant/water-supplier/etc last had their machine serviced properly. We take our own water everywhere, other than actually out of town.

Our machine was an expensive unit from Zero-B. There are much cheaper units now, both unbranded and from companies like Kent.

If your water is particularly mucky, it might be worth having a filter fitted before the roof tank. We got one a couple of years ago. It is only a cotton filter, it will not remove microbes, but it takes out physical dirt, making the tap water cleaner and saving strain on the RO-machine filters. Every few months we open it up and find it full of mud!
Old 18th June 2013, 16:01   #3696
BHPian

Hello all,

My 20 year old oven has conked off finally and I need to buy one. I have a microwave but need a proper big oven for baking things like lasagne, cake, cookies etc. I cant find any ovens in any of the major chains such as Vijay Sales or Croma. Any ideas of the brands available, where they're available and whats a good brand to buy?

Thanks in advance.
Old 18th June 2013, 19:43   #3697
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msbehave View Post
Hello all,

My 20 year old oven has conked off finally and I need to buy one. I have a microwave but need a proper big oven for baking things like lasagne, cake, cookies etc. I cant find any ovens in any of the major chains such as Vijay Sales or Croma. Any ideas of the brands available, where they're available and whats a good brand to buy?

Thanks in advance.
Here are some links
http://compareindia.in.com/products/...s/kaff/41/2932
http://www.elicaindia.com/product-sh...cooking-ranges
http://glenindia.com/shop/cooking-range

I have seen the Kaff models in Delhi and they seem to be sturdy. I have a 20 year old BPL gas oven which is still going strong.
Old 19th June 2013, 02:01   #3698
BHPian

Quote:
I have been using an RO unit for the past six years or more.

Until recently we were outside the city boundary, and our water supply continues to be panchayat, rather than Metro Water. It is not treated, is even occasionally slightly salty, and can be considered unsafe for anything but washing --- but neither my wife nor I have ever had any illness where our own RO-treated water might have been the culprit (or, at least, other obvious things were much higher on the list).

The thing to remember about a domestic water purifier is that it is good as its maintenance. However, you know when your machine was last serviced: you cannot know when the restaurant/water-supplier/etc last had their machine serviced properly. We take our own water everywhere, other than actually out of town.

Our machine was an expensive unit from Zero-B. There are much cheaper units now, both unbranded and from companies like Kent.

If your water is particularly mucky, it might be worth having a filter fitted before the roof tank. We got one a couple of years ago. It is only a cotton filter, it will not remove microbes, but it takes out physical dirt, making the tap water cleaner and saving strain on the RO-machine filters. Every few months we open it up and find it full of mud!
Thanks Thad, was on the prowl for a whole house filter of sorts. Will enquire more. Just had my tanks cleaned, took 10 hours and an additional 4 hours to fix the water inlet that the cleaners broke... Will check the ROs available, cannot skimp on water.
Old 19th June 2013, 04:23   #3699
BHPian

Re: Cotton Filter??

Quote:
Could you please throw more light on this 'Cotton Filter'? Where can we procure one? Are there any multiple brands? I would like to have one installed for our underground sump, so that the water pumped to the overhead tank is free of muck!
Old 19th June 2013, 14:10   #3700
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Thanks Thad, was on the prowl for a whole house filter of sorts. Will enquire more. Just had my tanks cleaned, took 10 hours and an additional 4 hours to fix the water inlet that the cleaners broke... Will check the ROs available, cannot skimp on water.
A simple filter like our cotton one would stop most of the dirt getting in your tank. A whole-house RO system would cost lakhs. It would be the great luxury, drinking water from every tap, and I have dreamed of such a gadget sometimes, but it would also waste a huge amount. Depending on how much mineral is dissolved in your water, RO units can waste as much as half of it. Imagine throwing away a whole tank for every tank you fill!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Could you please throw more light on this 'Cotton Filter'? Where can we procure one? Are there any multiple brands? I would like to have one installed for our underground sump, so that the water pumped to the overhead tank is free of muck!
I just picked this one from Google Images to show the appearance. Obviously, this kind of housing could have any kind of actual filter in it, from simple to high-tech --- but ours has a core made up of wound cotton. One consideration is that it should not slow down the pumping too much, and ours adds five or ten minutes to the time taken to fill the tank.

We didn't put too much into the buying of this, just asked our RO maintenance man for something to take the grit and dust out of the water. I cannot remember how much we paid for it, but not a lot.

Probably something more sophisticated could be done to give cleaner water for whole house without going to expense of RO. RO can be reserved for drinking water.
Old 19th June 2013, 17:59   #3701
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Are we permitted to install this to underground sump to incoming corporation line? I think not. I was thinking of an inline filter to the pipe carrying water down to my house from the overhead tank.

Quote:
A simple filter like our cotton one would stop most of the dirt getting in your tank. A whole-house RO system would cost lakhs. It would be the great luxury, drinking water from every tap, and I have dreamed of such a gadget sometimes, but it would also waste a huge amount. Depending on how much mineral is dissolved in your water, RO units can waste as much as half of it. Imagine throwing away a whole tank for every tank you fill!
Thad, where have you placed this filter? I assumed this would filter water flowing down to the house from the overhead tank. I definitely cannot afford a whole house RO. I wanted a RO to this filtered water for drinking purposes off one tap only.

Also does this filter slow down water flow into the pipes? I also heard that these filters need to be cleaned regularly - some sort of back flushing etc?
Old 20th June 2013, 00:17   #3702
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thad, where have you placed this filter? I assumed this would filter water flowing down to the house from the overhead tank.
No: it is placed in the pipe which carries water from the sump up to the overhead tank.

It may take longer, and cost some more electricity, to fill, but it does not change the in-house water pressure at all. As this is a single-storey house, that is quite important

We only get water supply to the house every other day, and it is under very little pressure: I wouldn't want to slow that down. Also, although covered, the sump probably gets quite a lot of dust/dirt in it from our garden, and is capable of lasting us a week to ten days without supply (occasionally we empty it for cleaning, or repair such as disuading an intrusive tree root), so filtering before it would probably be a waste of effort.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 20th June 2013 at 00:20.
Old 20th June 2013, 01:42   #3703
BHPian

Quote:

Can you please provide more details about this filter?Can this filter handle large quantity?Because I have one as shown in the above picture just for my water purifier and it gets dirty in a week or so.

Last edited by D.V.R : 20th June 2013 at 01:48.
Old 20th June 2013, 02:48   #3704
BHPian

Quote:
I just picked this one from Google Images to show the appearance. Obviously, this kind of housing could have any kind of actual filter in it, from simple to high-tech --- but ours has a core made up of wound cotton. One consideration is that it should not slow down the pumping too much, and ours adds five or ten minutes to the time taken to fill the tank.

We didn't put too much into the buying of this, just asked our RO maintenance man for something to take the grit and dust out of the water. I cannot remember how much we paid for it, but not a lot.

Probably something more sophisticated could be done to give cleaner water for whole house without going to expense of RO. RO can be reserved for drinking water.
Could you please PM me the contacts of this person. I went around b'lore to get one of this kind, but could not. Any pointers about getting this item in b'lore would be helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Are we permitted to install this to underground sump to incoming corporation line? I think not. I was thinking of an inline filter to the pipe carrying water down to my house from the overhead tank.
The Water board would not have any issues with what you do with the line inside your premises. They are concerned only until the water measurement meter.
Old 20th June 2013, 08:57   #3705
BANNED

Refrigerators

I need a 450 litre or so refrigerator. My first choice will be an Inverter model, preferably with the freezer at the bottom. However, I am open to all 4* or higher models with the freezer on the top or bottom. No side-by-side units.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks