Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2013, 12:25   #3766
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Reading the above discussion on hot water inlets into fully automatic washing machines, I am getting a little confused (or somewhat better, missing something). Don't the automatic washing machines come with an inbuilt water heater and offer a temperature selection?

The other issue of hard water, I think Kent has some water softener product priced at around 6K. Don't know much about it, saw in a commercial.

Regards,
Saket
Old 10th July 2013, 12:42   #3767
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Reading the above discussion on hot water inlets into fully automatic washing machines, I am getting a little confused (or somewhat better, missing something). Don't the automatic washing machines come with an inbuilt water heater and offer a temperature selection?
Yes, they have, but if you provide hot water through the inlet, then they will not use the heater thereby saving power

Quote:
The other issue of hard water, I think Kent has some water softener product priced at around 6K. Don't know much about it, saw in a commercial.

Regards,
Saket
Zero B has one for under 3500 and it is pretty effective in prolonging the life of appliances especially in area where bore wells are also used as a water source.
Old 10th July 2013, 12:45   #3768
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by an_and View Post
Yes, they have, but if you provide hot water through the inlet, then they will not use the heater thereby saving power

Zero B has one for under 3500 and it is pretty effective in prolonging the life of appliances especially in area where bore wells are also used as a water source.
Hey An, thanks for the info. Would be grateful if you could provide any link for the Zero B product. I think I need a few of them!
Old 10th July 2013, 12:50   #3769
BHPian

Quote:
Hey An, thanks for the info. Would be grateful if you could provide any link for the Zero B product. I think I need a few of them!
http://www.zerobonline.com/products.html i think they are pretty responsive, and i think the price is lesser than 3K, please do negotiate hatrd.
Old 10th July 2013, 12:59   #3770
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by an_and View Post
http://www.zerobonline.com/products.html i think they are pretty responsive, and i think the price is lesser than 3K, please do negotiate hatrd.
Thanks man for the link. I think I need some solutions like this, though the water is not very hard, but may be bad in the long run. Thanks.
Old 10th July 2013, 14:08   #3771
BANNED

Let me put a few facts:

1. Feeding hot water into a washing machine is false economy. It is cheaper to heat the water. In the 80's there were some washing machines with both hot and cold inputs. The manual clearly stated, do not use the hot line unless you are getting hot water almost for free.

2. We have lived and used washing machines in hard water areas since 1978. We have never felt any reason to install any softening systems. My last LG lasted for over eight years, of at least 5 loads a week.
Old 10th July 2013, 14:24   #3772
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Let me put a few facts:

1. Feeding hot water into a washing machine is false economy. It is cheaper to heat the water.
What if you have Solar heated water like Thad or PNG heated water? If the heater already exists & capacity is enough to feed the WM, then how is it cheaper to heat the water with an electrical heating element rather than use the PNG or Solar heated water.

It's also a convenience issue. In the US where most homes and even flats have a central boiler - the same boiler supplies hot water to all the taps in the kitchen, to the dishwasher, to the bathroom and to the laundry hookups. So people do not typically buy Dishwashers or Washing Machines with built in water heaters.

The alternative would be to have a Washing Machine with a heater, a Dishwasher with the heater, a water heater in the bathroom and a water heater in the kitchen.
Old 10th July 2013, 22:43   #3773
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
I think that would depend on the kind of water - is the water hard or soft. Again, in my 6 years of Dishwasher use, I have never added salt.

Actually, except for one time when I got a free sample of Jet Dry (Rinse Aid), I have never used anything except Dishwasher Detergent. Never had a problem. Used 5 different dishwashers in this time frame (from minimum of 1 month to maximum of 4.5 years). And though these dishwashers had slots for these things, none of them had warning lights if you don't use rinse aid or salt. The only thing needed was detergent.

As you have used 5 different DW can u suggest a good one for me among the latest arrivals including LG I recently read there is an option for quick wash as in washing machine when we need to clean small quantity is it right? what will be the usage of the water be?
Old 11th July 2013, 01:37   #3774
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathyaprakash View Post
As you have used 5 different DW can u suggest a good one for me among the latest arrivals including LG I recently read there is an option for quick wash as in washing machine when we need to clean small quantity is it right? what will be the usage of the water be?
All 5 were in the US. All 5 were built-ins and not free standing. None of them had an internal water heater but used hot water hookups. And I don't think any of them were brands available in India. So my experience is really not going to be useful in giving you a recommendation :-(
Old 11th July 2013, 09:07   #3775
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathyaprakash View Post

I have a Samsung dishwasher bought about 8 months back. We need to fill in salt and detergent else the warning indicator lights up. There is a quick wash cycle too. Normal cycle runs about 2+ hrs.
Important thing is to start using dishes that are washer friendly...
Old 11th July 2013, 09:21   #3776
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
What if you have Solar heated water like Thad or PNG heated water?
Quote:
The manual clearly stated, do not use the hot line unless you are getting hot water almost for free.
I had already addressed your point.
Old 11th July 2013, 09:43   #3777
BANNED

Quote:
I had already addressed your point.
No. It doesn't have to be nearly free. I just has to be cheaper than electricity - that's all.
Old 12th July 2013, 19:17   #3778
BANNED

Hello people,

I've recently relocated. The new place has 1 bulb connection in each room. I want to use only 1 CFL per room to achieve illumination targets. I like the the room to be nicely bright. How many watts CFL per room do I require ?

Room 1 : 14 x 10 x 9 ft
Room 2 : 12 x 9 x 9 ft

Thanks.
Old 12th July 2013, 21:15   #3779
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rana_kirti View Post
Hello people,

I've recently relocated. The new place has 1 bulb connection in each room. I want to use only 1 CFL per room to achieve illumination targets. I like the the room to be nicely bright. How many watts CFL per room do I require ?

Room 1 : 14 x 10 x 9 ft
Room 2 : 12 x 9 x 9 ft

Thanks.
Room 1 , 14w would be adequate and 18w would be really bright

Room 2, 10w would be sufficient and 12w would be bright
Old 12th July 2013, 23:29   #3780
Senior - BHPian

For 'nicely bright' you will need atleast two on opposite walls. CFLs do not encompass large areas with their throw.

Alternatively you could get one of the super slim new age tubes sold by Osram and Havells. These are to old tube lights what CFLs are to bulbs, will completely light up your rooms and are much better looking too with their sleek mounting frames and top covers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rana_kirti View Post
I like the the room to be nicely bright. How many watts CFL per room do I require ?

Last edited by khoj : 12th July 2013 at 23:32.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks