Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2013, 15:41   #3826
BANNED

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Remember the load for drying is half that for washing!
Old 1st August 2013, 16:51   #3827
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Yes. But that is for the dryers, not the 'spinners' and I have one which can only spin. I have to air dry after that on the rope.
Spinners can spin the full load I believe, but we may never load it that much to begin with.
Old 1st August 2013, 20:53   #3828
Senior - BHPian

The latest machines have overcome this limitation. LG has a model with 8kg wash and 6 kg drying capacity and a bigger one that has a 9/6 kg wash/drying capability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Old 3rd August 2013, 13:13   #3829
BHPian

How effective are IFB dryers? They advertise wardrobe ready clothes. Is it true.
Old 3rd August 2013, 13:48   #3830
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by inder View Post
How effective are IFB dryers? They advertise wardrobe ready clothes. Is it true.
All tumble dryers give wardrobe ready clothes - except for the ironing of course.

There is nothing special about IFB - if you check past pages, their service for Washing machines is supposed to be terrible - so it's probably not so good Dryers also. If you want a dryer go for some brand which has decent service - like LG - I think they also make driers, not sure.

Dryers aren't so common in India, so getting an independent service person will be impossible.

I have a Haeir Dryer for 8 years now - cost somewhere between 15K to 20K - don't remember the exact amount - it has given a couple of problems but overall the machine is still kicking and Haeir service has been tolerable without being outstanding.

I have had only 2 problems till date
- When the machine was delivered - the person installing had no clue & screwed up something and blew some heater element. But Haeir replaced it and it worked fine.
- After 3 years, there was again a problem with heating. Haeir service repaired it - cost around Rs. 1200, I think. At the same time some pad or something got spoilt - but because the dryer model had been discontinued by Haeir, they couldn't procure a replacement. So they just removed it and didn't replace it. The drier is slightly noisier than before but otherwise it's fine. Since then, it's been 5 years without any problems.

The dryer runs 3-4 loads every week.

Last edited by carboy : 3rd August 2013 at 13:52.
Old 3rd August 2013, 17:44   #3831
jpm
BHPian

Need some help on electric chimneys for my renovated kitchen.

The Size is 12x10ft. Being a traditional vegetarian south indian household requires two gas stoves on opposite parts of the kitchen [| |] (sq. brackets for walls and | for gas stoves)

Both stoves to be used daily with some amount of frying involved. Now my big doubt is whether i require two electric chimneys: one on top of each stove? Or is one big high capacity hooded chimney enough?

Will be glad if someone can clarify.

Last edited by jpm : 3rd August 2013 at 17:45.
Old 3rd August 2013, 18:31   #3832
BHPian

If they are going to be on the opposite parts of kitchen, then you should go for 2 chimneys.
Old 3rd August 2013, 21:13   #3833
jpm
BHPian

Thanks @arsudarsan

planning to go for 2 now only. Thought can go for 1000m3/hr and another 760 m3/hr capacities.

Was recommended Indian Brands (Prestige esp) against Siemens/Kaff/Faber due to service issues in our town. Kaff is readily available though. Prestige Hi range and Kaff 1000m3/hr seems to be similarly priced.

any suggestions regarding the brands/capacities for household use?

Last edited by jpm : 3rd August 2013 at 21:15.
Old 3rd August 2013, 21:30   #3834
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Need an opinion about 'Roti Makers' - are they useful - do they make good rotis - do they reduce the effort. If yes, what is a good brand/type of roti maker? Or what about a roti press?

Last edited by carboy : 3rd August 2013 at 21:31.
Old 3rd August 2013, 22:30   #3835
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
The machine has a consumption of 350 W and at full water level, the water quantity is 65 lit.
I am not sure if it fills 65 lit during first wash, then throws that out and fills another 65 lit. I do note that the existing 100 lit or so of water in the tank comes down to very low, at full water level.
65 ltrs is consumed by wash cycle only.
In rinse cycle, it will take more water.
Old 4th August 2013, 00:42   #3836
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpm View Post
Thanks @arsudarsan

planning to go for 2 now only. Thought can go for 1000m3/hr and another 760 m3/hr capacities.

Was recommended Indian Brands (Prestige esp) against Siemens/Kaff/Faber due to service issues in our town. Kaff is readily available though. Prestige Hi range and Kaff 1000m3/hr seems to be similarly priced.

Be warned of the racket some of these chimneys make! So go to a store and try and hear them while running. If you have an android phone, there is a free sound level app, for a quick comparison between models. But with two stoves you do need two chimneys for sure. I would suggest to buy both of 650 to 700 cum capacity. Do buy those with baffle filters, they are far easier to clean. Motors with metal (aluminium) housings are considered better than others but are a little more expensive.

Last edited by LithiumSunset : 4th August 2013 at 00:44.
Old 4th August 2013, 11:50   #3837
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Need an opinion about 'Roti Makers' - are they useful - do they make good rotis - do they reduce the effort. If yes, what is a good brand/type of roti maker? Or what about a roti press?
Roti makers/press just press the dough into shape. The process of rolling changes the dough from spongy to pliable, so the rotis are softer, and thinner when you roll them.
Old 4th August 2013, 16:29   #3838
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Roti makers/press just press the dough into shape. The process of rolling changes the dough from spongy to pliable, so the rotis are softer, and thinner when you roll them.
Err... No, rolling doesn't change the basic character of the dough. Linkages between glutenin and gliadin chains (gluten) in the flour are produced and stretched out by kneading and resting thereafter. Insufficient kneading produces spongy dough and rotis / poories that turn out like leather.
Old 5th August 2013, 11:23   #3839
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Err... No, rolling doesn't change the basic character of the dough. Linkages between glutenin and gliadin chains (gluten) in the flour are produced and stretched out by kneading and resting thereafter. Insufficient kneading produces spongy dough and rotis / poories that turn out like leather.
That was a very technical answer.

@carboy: I don't have first hand experience with a roti maker myself, but based on feedback from those who have used it few years ago, it does not help much.
It is far better to source roties from someone who can supply those in your neighbourhood (if this is short term requirement). Alternative is to engage someone to make the roties, but I am sure you have evaluated that option already.
Old 5th August 2013, 11:29   #3840
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpm View Post
Thanks @arsudarsan

Not too sure about these brands. We have a sunflame at my inlaws and Glen at our home working fine. Sunflame is 1.5 years old and Glen close to an year.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks