Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2013, 14:41   #4096
BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
I thought a 3L water heater will be more useful for a shower as it heats 3L at any given point of time, correct me if my understanding is wrong
It takes a little more time to heat 3L of water. The 1L I believe does not have a storage tank. The water is just moving through. The wattage is same.

I have not opened any instant heater, but from experience I see the 1lt one perform better.

None of the instant heaters are good for shower. Here I expect hot water at good pressure, or there is no fun.

Last edited by HillMan : 6th December 2013 at 14:49.
Old 6th December 2013, 15:08   #4097
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillMan View Post
It takes a little more time to heat 3L of water. The 1L I believe does not have a storage tank. The water is just moving through. The wattage is same.

I have not opened any instant heater, but from experience I see the 1lt one perform better.

None of the instant heaters are good for shower. Here I expect hot water at good pressure, or there is no fun.
I think 1L geysers also have a small metal water tank inside. We have been using it in kitchen for about an year now (crompton greaves). The water, if is just moving through, is only little more than luke warm. To increase the temperature, either we reduce the water inflow to the geyser or close the tap/ outlet for a few seconds. I don't think that it will be sufficient for a bath in winters.
Old 6th December 2013, 16:26   #4098
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saildrive View Post
Anyone who is aware of the service and the machine especially 360; do share your thoughts and views on the same.
I have my reservations on the Whirlpool brand, though the 360 looks very smart.

Can I suggest you look into Samsung? I had a Samsung for past 6 years and bought a new one from croma. So far it's working great. For some 2k additional, you get 2 additional years of warranty. Also there is 10 years of warranty on motors.

For the geyser: Do we need to go for 20-25 liters for showering, or will 15L suffice?

Last edited by ani_meher : 6th December 2013 at 16:31.
Old 6th December 2013, 19:34   #4099
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
For the geyser: Do we need to go for 20-25 liters for showering, or will 15L suffice?
25lt at the least. Koryo and Kenstar at bigbazaar are good VFM.

I paid around 5k for it.
Old 6th December 2013, 20:21   #4100
BHPian

Please suggest a simple Microwave Oven. I had Kenstar earlier served well before dying.
Old 6th December 2013, 20:53   #4101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manavdotcom View Post
Please suggest a simple Microwave Oven. I had Kenstar earlier served well before dying.
Onida Black Beauty is good one with many pre-set options.
Old 11th December 2013, 22:07   #4102
BHPian

Anyone know if there are any "smart" gas stoves on the market? Our current one is troubling us of late. Apart from that I also find it difficult in the mornings to time our cooker as we have to run to the stove to switch it off while trying to rush to get ready for office.

Would love a stove that can be timed for a few minutes and then forgotten about. A better feature would be if it could switch to simmer (saves gas!) after a few minutes and switch off at the end of the timer. Wishful thinking?

Our induction stove can be timed but we haven't switched completely to it and don't foresee it happening soon, either.
Old 12th December 2013, 00:43   #4103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
Anyone know if there are any "smart" gas stoves on the market? Our current one is troubling us of late. Apart from that I also find it difficult in the mornings to time our cooker as we have to run to the stove to switch it off while trying to rush to get ready for office.

Would love a stove that can be timed for a few minutes and then forgotten about. A better feature would be if it could switch to simmer (saves gas!) after a few minutes and switch off at the end of the timer. Wishful thinking?

Our induction stove can be timed but we haven't switched completely to it and don't foresee it happening soon, either.
Try a combo of induction and gas in a single unit. Here is the link from pigeon website http://www.pigeonestore.com/product/...hybrid-cooktop

Havent tried it out myself but looks great for someone who wants to move from gas to induction & would like to test waters.

Last edited by quadra : 12th December 2013 at 00:44.
Old 12th December 2013, 11:02   #4104
Distinguished - BHPian

Currently I have a prestige glass hob which I brought along the prestige modular kitchen three years back. The issue is ever since day one my mom complains that cooking is taking a long time compared to the stove we had in our previous residence. Previously we had the stove with the common burner with holes all around. The current hob has a different construction for the burner.

Even on the triple ring burner, the cooker takes a lifetime to build pressure, pan takes longer time to heat up according to her. Is it the fault of the hob? Even our gas cylimder gets over earlier compared to before.

Now since all these factors, we are considering changing the hob. Which one would be suitable for indian cooking? I hear that there are italian burners which arent suitable. If what I have is an Italian burner, then I will need something else. I am looking for a tempered glass version. Number of burners doesnt matter. All I need is a black glass top that blends with the galaxy black granite for the countertop. Rest doesnt matter as long as it doesnt give my mom another hassle of slow cooking. Any ideas?
Old 12th December 2013, 11:28   #4105
BANNED

@audioholic; Are you by any chance on PNG with LPG jets. They work, but with reduced delivery!
Old 12th December 2013, 12:20   #4106
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post

Normally gas burners can have only thermostatic controls. To have a programmable behavior you need a controller. It is simple to have that in electrical appliances, but as gas requires mechanical actuation, it becomes complex and expensive to implement, hence left out in domestic burners. I am afraid that you have to go for electrical appliances if you want to have any sort of program to control the stove.
Old 15th December 2013, 13:38   #4107
BHPian

I am looking for a good automatic chapati/roti maker. From online stores, I see that I have to purchase 2 different appliances for this. One to knead the dough; another to bake the chapati/roti. Is there any automatic machine available where I put atta & water in the intake and get hot chapatis at the end (no manual job) ?
Old 15th December 2013, 13:45   #4108
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@audioholic; Are you by any chance on PNG with LPG jets. They work, but with reduced delivery!
No sir currently we are using LPG, but not sure what the Hob is made for. Gas consumption is on the higher side, but at the same time it takes ages to cook. Think the design is flawed.
Old 15th December 2013, 13:48   #4109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
I am looking for a good automatic chapati/roti maker. From online stores, I see that I have to purchase 2 different appliances for this. One to knead the dough; another to bake the chapati/roti. Is there any automatic machine available where I put atta & water in the intake and get hot chapatis at the end (no manual job) ?
An Indian couple have come up with the perfect product. Currently it is under testing in Singapore.

http://rotimatic.com/
Old 15th December 2013, 19:28   #4110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadra View Post
Try a combo of induction and gas in a single unit.
We're not very happy with the one induction stove we own right now and I find this the case with all induction stoves I've cooked on. The heating is erratic and tends to burn food during the ON cycle, while sleeping during the OFF cycle. I once made Maggi and while the water evaporated, the noodles remained uncooked. Similar result with a thick cast iron skillet, but much better than stainless steel. Cast iron's thickness retains some heat between the ON cycles.

The problem is the lack of "simmer" concept on induction. Full heat or no heat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Normally gas burners can have only thermostatic controls. To have a programmable behavior you need a controller. It is simple to have that in electrical appliances, but as gas requires mechanical actuation, it becomes complex and expensive to implement, hence left out in domestic burners. I am afraid that you have to go for electrical appliances if you want to have any sort of program to control the stove.
Thank you Aroy. That explains it very well the lack of such stoves on the market.

Ok, it looks like I'll have to fix my existing gas stove then. Can someone guide me through it? The flame's intensity seems to have reduced and thus, putting it in Simmer switches it off completely. High heat is also not "high" like it was earlier. Same with both burners. I can't figure where to start looking, although I feel something is restricting gas flow.I checked the stove's under-hood pipes and they look clear enough to me!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks