Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 26th December 2013, 09:27   #4126
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Re: The Home Appliance thread

I had an AT&T instrument where the base unit was a corded instrument but it had a separate cordless charger and phone both of which could be kept in a different room. Not sure if such a setup is available here.
Old 26th December 2013, 12:27   #4127
Senior - BHPian

Panasonic KX - TGA9392T. This is a two line, three year old (3.4 Ghz, IIRC) unit and the cordless units work in a 20 meter radius around/outside the house. The new ones are 5.4 Ghz (or similar) and have a better range. Mine has a corded base unit + cordless units with their own chargers that can be plugged in. One can add up to 5 cordless hand sets all of which come with their own individual, pluggable chargers, I am using two cordless + the base unit. Easily available on ebay's global easy buy. The updated, single line model may have a slightly different nomenclature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWind View Post
Is there any speaker phone which can work with cordless phone base but work using a electrical socket (which may or may not have an inbuilt battery support). If so I can use this to keep in the study room permanently and save frequent trips to charge them and reduce costs on battery. Also, the speakerphone (and the base) should be powerful to have reliable signals between my living and study room
Old 30th December 2013, 23:59   #4128
Senior - BHPian

I am looking at LED lighting options for our apartment flat in Bangalore. I am looking at a few tube lights to start with along with a few ceiling mounted LED lights with dimming options at a later stage. I am also evaluating bathroom LED lighting options.

Any expert comments on this ?
Old 31st December 2013, 14:36   #4129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Panasonic KX - TGA9392T. This is a two line, three year old (3.4 Ghz, IIRC) unit and the cordless units work in a 20 meter radius around/outside the house. The new ones are 5.4 Ghz (or similar) and have a better range. Mine has a corded base unit + cordless units with their own chargers that can be plugged in. One can add up to 5 cordless hand sets all of which come with their own individual, pluggable chargers, I am using two cordless + the base unit. Easily available on ebay's global easy buy. The updated, single line model may have a slightly different nomenclature.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
I had an AT&T instrument where the base unit was a corded instrument but it had a separate cordless charger and phone both of which could be kept in a different room. Not sure if such a setup is available here.
Thanks guys. Looks like I have to go for a phone with multiple cordless unit for my requirement. It baffles me that there is no unit which is a pluggable cordless speaker phone.
Old 31st December 2013, 17:09   #4130
Team-BHP Support

Khoj, sgiitk and other regulars - Which brand of washing machine would you recommend between IFB & Samsung. I have to chose between these two.

Top load or front load, please let me know a bit on this. Have a budget of around 40K
Old 31st December 2013, 17:23   #4131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Khoj, sgiitk and other regulars - Which brand of washing machine would you recommend between IFB & Samsung. I have to chose between these two.

Top load or front load, please let me know a bit on this. Have a budget of around 40K
IMO front loadings are any day cleaner wash compared to top loading.

Chose the one which has heating and rinse hold function. For me these two are a must have features in any washing machine.

Which machine... Go IFB.
To me Samsung products are a pain.

Last edited by HillMan : 31st December 2013 at 17:26.
Old 31st December 2013, 20:09   #4132
Senior - BHPian

I have had a bad experience with IFB washing machine and will neither suggest nor buy it again.

Very low on quality with frequent circuit board failures, drum replaced twice etc.
Old 31st December 2013, 23:07   #4133
BHPian

We have an IFB that's going strong for ~15 years. I wouldn't touch a Samsung or an LG anything.
Old 1st January 2014, 00:24   #4134
Senior - BHPian

Of the two Samsung.

Between front and top, I would go with a front loader. Having used both types, the FL does give a better wash.

Quote:

Are you not looking for something like this

http://www.panasonic.com/in/business...kx-tgp550.html

OR one amongst these

http://www.panasonic.com/in/business...eatured&page=2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWind View Post
Thanks guys. Looks like I have to go for a phone with multiple cordless unit for my requirement. It baffles me that there is no unit which is a pluggable cordless speaker phone.

Last edited by khoj : 1st January 2014 at 00:28. Reason: responding to an additional post
Old 1st January 2014, 10:16   #4135
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
I have had a bad experience with IFB washing machine and will neither suggest nor buy it again.

Very low on quality with frequent circuit board failures, drum replaced twice etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Of the two Samsung.

Between front and top, I would go with a front loader. Having used both types, the FL does give a better wash.
This is what I have been suggested as well.

Thanks guys

And yes, a very happy 2014 everyone
Old 1st January 2014, 11:27   #4136
Senior - BHPian

I would go with LG front load. It has direct drive and 10 years warranty on the motor.

If you can get the IFB with electro-mechanical controller then go for it as it restarts from where it left, unlike fully electronic controllers which start all over again after power cut. These models are also the least expensive ones.

Another feature I found essential is the heater which can go to 90 degrees. This ensures laundry quality was for sheets, towels and curtains. Though high spin speed is desirable I find not much difference between 800 (in our previous IFB) and 1200 RPM (in our current LG)
Old 1st January 2014, 11:38   #4137
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
I would go with LG front load. It has direct drive and 10 years warranty on the motor.

If you can get the IFB with electro-mechanical controller then go for it as it restarts from where it left, unlike fully electronic controllers which start all over again after power cut. These models are also the least expensive ones.

Another feature I found essential is the heater which can go to 90 degrees. This ensures laundry quality was for sheets, towels and curtains. Though high spin speed is desirable I find not much difference between 800 (in our previous IFB) and 1200 RPM (in our current LG)
Roy Sir, I spotted a front loading Samsung with 10 year warranty. What features etc to avoid & to go for?

Thanks
Old 1st January 2014, 11:47   #4138
Senior - BHPian

I am looking to buy a chimney for my apartment but I have no idea about what kind of electric chimney I should buy.

All the people whom I have talked to have asked me to choose from Faber, Elica or Glen but I have come across whirlpool and IFB chimneys while searching online. How good are they (IFB and Whirlpool).
We are a family of three but we cook lot of non-vegetarian dishes (Fish fry, beef, chicken etc) and we deep fry Papad in oil which creates lot of fumes, so what suction power should I look for? I am thinking of getting a chimney which has 1000 m3/hr or more suction power, but not sure whether I should opt for 60 cm or 90 cm. Currently we are using a 2 burner gas stove, but have plans to upgrade it to a 4 burner cook top.
I am hoping to find a chimney in 15K bracket, though I can stretch the budget to a maximum of 20K.

Which brand do you recommend and what suction power \ length?

--Anoop
Old 1st January 2014, 11:47   #4139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Roy Sir, I spotted a front loading Samsung with 10 year warranty. What features etc to avoid & to go for?

Thanks
I had bad experience with Samsung service - Monitors, AC and MW, hence now a days I avoid that brand. From all the feed back on the Net the LG service is excellent, at least in Delhi.

The things that I look for in a Washing Machine are
. Front loading for better wash and lower water consumption.
. Excellent service history.
. 10 year warranty on motor
. Extended warranty with parts and labour. I am covered for 7 years with LG at around 7k extra.
. Hot water wash at 90 degrees centigrade
. Large drum, as we do Sheets, Curtains and durries
. Variable cycle time depending on the load and intensity. IFB had 4 cycles, LG has at least 10 and the time is also load sensitive - shirts only is 1 hour, while heavy jeans and curtains 2.5 hours. Plus there is an intensive wash which can take upto 4 hours for fabrics with stubborn stains.
. Wide voltage range. The modern Wm are all electronically controlled, hence their Achilles Heel is the mother board. The motor rarely burns but the electronics fries easily.
Old 1st January 2014, 12:01   #4140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
I am looking to buy a chimney for my apartment but I have no idea about what kind of electric chimney I should buy.

All the people whom I have talked to have asked me to choose from Faber, Elica or Glen but I have come across whirlpool and IFB chimneys while searching online. How good are they (IFB and Whirlpool).
We are a family of three but we cook lot of non-vegetarian dishes (Fish fry, beef, chicken etc) and we deep fry Papad in oil which creates lot of fumes, so what suction power should I look for? I am thinking of getting a chimney which has 1000 m3/hr or more suction power, but not sure whether I should opt for 60 cm or 90 cm. Currently we are using a 2 burner gas stove, but have plans to upgrade it to a 4 burner cook top.
I am hoping to find a chimney in 15K bracket, though I can stretch the budget to a maximum of 20K.

Which brand do you recommend and what suction power \ length?

--Anoop
- There are two basic types
. Baffle filter, where the oil collects in a baffle and can be drained. These are more expensive. I prefer these as there is less of fire risk or motor damage.
. Mesh filters where the oil collects in a mesh, and starts dripping if full. Further the oil may travel further up and foul the motor.

- For Indian cooking where a lot of frying is dome get a filter with at least 1000 cfm suction.

- The width of the filter should be more than the cooking area, hence a 1m or wider chimney is better. The reason is that a lot of oil vapours escape the chimney from the sides and a wider throat will capture them, while a narrower chimney, say 60cm lets them escape and deposit on the walls and ceiling.

- A fully stainless steel body will last longer. Powder coated or painted mild steel do not maintain theirs looks over longer period.

- It is best to have a 6 or 8 inch pipe carry the exhaust from the chimney to the atmosphere. Do not settle for a smaller diameter pipe. Please ensure that there is a mesh at the end, else the pipe end is an easy access for birds and rats.

Once all these conditions are satisfied, look for the chimney with the most powerful motor and lowest price. There is not much high tech in a chimney and the prices depend mostly on the fancy design and accessories rather than on basics.

Most Viewed