Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2014, 20:49   #4171
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
. I feel the flame is close to the cook as one stands barely 10 inches away. So you can consider the models where the burners are behind.
In my current hob, I have a triple ring burner right to the edge of the kitchen counter. Talk about the flame being close in this case Their design is so flawed that the smaller burners are away from the accessed side and they kept a triple ring burner in such a place that in case I have a loose T shirt it will easily come close to a few cms from the burner. Have made it a point not to use the burner for anything other than a cooker or something which wont require continuous monitoring. Even worse is when we are making chapatis etc. The heat can be felt by us. Since I never wear non cotton clothes, there havent been any mishaps. This is just another reason to change the hob. Lets see when it will happen.
Old 13th January 2014, 21:24   #4172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Even worse is when we are making chapatis etc. The heat can be felt by us. Since I never wear non cotton clothes, there havent been any mishaps. This is just another reason to change the hob. Lets see when it will happen.
We are thinking on how to keep the maid/cook safe. Have thought of removing the front burner's vessel holder so it cannot be used and also to ensure she wears a cotton full apron to help in some form. There are 3 other burners in my model, so it is not too much of a bother, but I guess we live and learn, never thought of this proximity or read about it earlier...
Old 13th January 2014, 23:02   #4173
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
We are thinking on how to keep the maid/cook safe. Have thought of removing the front burner's vessel holder so it cannot be used and also to ensure she wears a cotton full apron to help in some form. There are 3 other burners in my model, so it is not too much of a bother, but I guess we live and learn, never thought of this proximity or read about it earlier...
It depends upon the width of the counter top too. In our kitchen, the edge of the triple ring burner sits around six inches away from the edge of the counter top. Hence, if I lean against the countertop, I will be six inches away from the flame. In case I keep a pan on top of the burner and cook, leaning against the countertop will barely give a gap of two-three inches for the heat of the flame to escape. Hence its a hindrance. Nowadays I have got used to staying away from the countertop, but I am concerned about people other than my family who may not know the problem.
Old 21st January 2014, 21:47   #4174
Senior - BHPian

Ordered a Philips iron from flipkart http://www.flipkart.com/philips-gc19...md2ufgjhhgjfhd

Anyone using this ? Does it need a 15 amp plug point ?
Old 21st January 2014, 21:53   #4175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
Ordered a Philips iron from flipkart http://www.flipkart.com/philips-gc19...md2ufgjhhgjfhd

Anyone using this ? Does it need a 15 amp plug point ?
A 5A point is 'safe' till 220V * 5 = 1100 Watts. Most irons are about that much. But it would safer to use a 15A socket.
Old 22nd January 2014, 10:46   #4176
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by LithiumSunset View Post
A 5A point is 'safe' till 220V * 5 = 1100 Watts. Most irons are about that much. But it would safer to use a 15A socket.
I tend to agree. I may add that the modern modular plugs and sockets are now 6A and not 5. Also, make sure you have solid brass pins and not the two piece ones in the plug.
Old 24th January 2014, 12:53   #4177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amikacin View Post

I want everyone's inputs for some of my queries before making a final decision.
  • Is it possible to accommodate pressure cooker, kadai, thali, etc. in the dishwasher since these constitute the major bulk of the utensils in our household.

I am not too much concerned for glassware since they are usually not the major chunk of the load. I am more concerned for utensils that are used for warming milk in the household since they sometimes required extra efforts for proper cleaning.
  • We have hard water in our area and do we need to attach a water softener to the water inlet line? Will it adversely affect the machine performance/clog the spray nozzels?
  • How much is an average wash cycle and load capacity for the machine.
  • Amongst the available brands in India, which should be preferred keeping in mind the after sales service as my parents reside in a small town and servicing sometimes can be a big issue. We have an IFB front loading washing machine at our home and in past our experience with their service has been not so good. Initially I had an inclination for IFB, however would like to choose the one that fulfills the above mentioned criterion.
  • How much will be approx. monthly cost of consumables. Can I get home delivery for the same even in non metro areas?
  • Are there any other points that should be covered in the decision process.
  • My approx. budget for this is INR 30K.

Thanks.
Hi,

I was in the same confusion over buying the dishwasher.I checked online as well as on OLX. I wanted to experiment first and let my mom and wife test the results of using a dishwasher in this winter season.I was fortunate enough to get an unopened & unused dishwasher of IFB, top model Neptune-DX only in 14500 INR near by my locality.Now trying to answer your queries.

A. Hard Water is a problem so you need to add the salt to counter that.One packed cost 300 INR and can be used for a full month.
B. Shortest duration wash cycle is approx 75 mins with pre-wash plus express cycle.
C. I have tested thali,kadhai & dough kneading big plate ( paraat as we call it) with shining results.
D. Tea making pans & Milk boiling utensils definitely need a pre-scrub before butting in Dishwasher.
E. Don't expect too much from Dishwasher if you want to be happy after first wash results.

Finally, if you want to gift something real to your wife or mom, go ahead and see their face smiling.

Regards,
Lalit Tyagi
Old 24th January 2014, 13:28   #4178
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Y A G I View Post
Hi,
I was fortunate enough to get an unopened & unused dishwasher of IFB, top model Neptune-DX only in 14500 INR near by my locality.Now trying to answer your queries.
That is fantastic price if the DW was really unused. We paid About 31K for the same DW in 2012.

Quote:
A. Hard Water is a problem so you need to add the salt to counter that.One packed cost 300 INR and can be used for a full month.
B. Shortest duration wash cycle is approx 75 mins with pre-wash plus express cycle.
Small correction. A pack of salt costs Rs. 115/- and most of the times the DW can take around 2 packs at once. The detergent costs Rs. 375/- and for us lasts more than a month. We are a small family. The DW is capable is using 3 in 1 detergents. But I think, such detergents are not yet available in India.

The shortest duration is 30 mins. without prewash. Selecting Pre-wash option adds 15 mins to every program. However, we normally use the express cycle which is 55 mins + 15 mins of prewash, hence a total of about 70 mins.

Quote:
C. I have tested thali,kadhai & dough kneading big plate ( paraat as we call it) with shining results.
D. Tea making pans & Milk boiling utensils definitely need a pre-scrub before butting in Dishwasher.
E. Don't expect too much from Dishwasher if you want to be happy after first wash results.

Finally, if you want to gift something real to your wife or mom, go ahead and see their face smiling.

Regards,
Lalit Tyagi
Agree. However, the results are mostly upto (& at times surpassing) our satisfaction. We don't normally use rinse-aid due to health issues associated with it, but if rinse aid is used, the results are amazingly shining utensils.

Last edited by saket77 : 24th January 2014 at 13:30.
Old 24th January 2014, 14:21   #4179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
We don't normally use rinse-aid due to health issues associated with it, but if rinse aid is used, the results are amazingly shining utensils.
I've read that white vinegar works well as rinse aid. Vinegar should not have any side effect. You can check these:
https://www.google.co.in/search?q=vi...NYePrQfzkIC4CQ

However if the water is very hard in your area using vinegar may result some some white residue in your utensils due to formation of Calcium acetate/Magnesium acetate which are fairly insoluble in water. This happened in the following case - not what the serviceman told them that rubber components are incompatible with vinegar. In fact rinse aid is acidic in nature.
http://wholenewmom.com/whole-new-bud...ortant-update/
Quote:
Rinse aid typically is slightly acidic. The MSDS (Material Data Safety Sheet) for Cascade Crystal Clear Rinse Aid as an example indicates:
Ethanol - 3% to 7%
Citric Acid - 1% to 5%
Zinc Chloride - 0.5% to 1.5%
Water - >50%
pH 1% solution - 3.3
Old 24th January 2014, 15:08   #4180
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
I've read that white vinegar works well as rinse aid.
Thanks for the link and the information. I have also read that vinegar works as a rinse aid. But since I was not sure about any side effects to the machine, I never used it. Also, it's not too bad without any rinse aid. The utensils come out fairly clean.
Old 24th January 2014, 15:29   #4181
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Thanks for the link and the information. I have also read that vinegar works as a rinse aid. But since I was not sure about any side effects to the machine, I never used it. Also, it's not too bad without any rinse aid. The utensils come out fairly clean.
I don't have a dishwasher yet. Just researching .
Old 24th January 2014, 15:34   #4182
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
I don't have a dishwasher yet. Just researching .
Just a point to add to your research, if that helps....don't only look at it as a device to clean utensils. It frees you/ your wife/ mom from all those chores and hence, you can utilize that as a quality time spent with your family.
Old 24th January 2014, 16:25   #4183
Distinguished - BHPian

I hope, it is okay to share it here. Our 5 years old Electrolux microwave encountered a problem last week. It would light up, the turntable would rotate and timer would work perfectly like before but there would be no cooking or heating. The grille function was working fine. I have some basic electronics knowledge hence decided to check the internals.

(Warning: Micrwaves store dangerously high voltages inside even when disconnected from mains. Please do not open the case if you don't know what are you doing. Also, microwaves are harmful to us if encountered directly, hence bolt up the cabinet properly before turning it on).

I tested the main fuse, which was okay. It certainly would have been since all other functions were normal. I feared the worst - Magnetron going kaput. Magnetron is the component which actually produces the microwaves in your oven. The cost of magnetron is normally not too less from the oven cost (from internet)

Then I checked the fuse between the high power transformer and magnetron. There was no continuity. Cool! The fuse was of a different size & rating (700mA-5KV) and not available anywhere. Finally I replaced it with a 1A normal fuse (Rs. 10/-) with very minor mods.

And the thing finally was ready for kitchen duty.

Last edited by saket77 : 24th January 2014 at 16:26.
Old 24th January 2014, 16:28   #4184
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Of the two Samsung.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post

Another feature I found essential is the heater which can go to 90 degrees. This ensures laundry quality was for sheets, towels and curtains.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Roy Sir, I spotted a front loading Samsung with 10 year warranty. What features etc to avoid & to go for?

Thanks
Guys,

Got the Samsung front loading. Capacity - 6.0 kgs. It has heating facility and starts from where I left in case of a power cut.

Is there some liquid which cleanses the WM? Or a filter needs to be cleaned?

Thanks

EDIT: Similar model as this, but has 10 year warranty & diamond drum.

Last edited by Sheel : 24th January 2014 at 16:32.
Old 24th January 2014, 16:47   #4185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Is there some liquid which cleanses the WM? Or a filter needs to be cleaned?

Thanks
Once in a while add 2 spoon of detergent and run the longest washing cycle with the hottest setting without any clothes. That is sufficient to clean the machine internally.
There is a lint filter which needs to be cleaned once in a while. Check your manual to find it and how to clean it.

Most Viewed