Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2014, 12:09   #4231
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

If the house is old, and the pipes used are 12mm (1/2") as was usual then, then you have a problem, as the pipes are small and they must have accumulated deposits inside them.

Your best option is to change all the external pipes to 25mm (1 inch) diameter or to 40mm (1 1/2 inch) diameter. That will ensure that there is enough water flow, hence pressure).
When you change the pipes ensure that you have separate pipes for
a) Each floor
b) For each major consumption centre - Kitchen, toilets etc

Though that may seem to be a plethora of pipes, that helps in long term by maintaining the water pressure.

In case you install large shower head (Rain Showers) of 100mm or more or single lever distributor for showers, you will need high pressure of at least two floors (20 feet) and 40mm pipes.

Last edited by Aroy : 15th February 2014 at 12:13.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2014, 10:13   #4232
BANNED

I will use 3/4" or more for the distribution and then 1/2" for the internal connections in any room.
Old 16th February 2014, 13:21   #4233
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillMan View Post
On the other hand, Mosquitoes do a lot of vaccination job by inserting small dosages of bacterias and virus. Our body gets immune to them as we grow.
I have doubts about that, and even if it is true, then if they are vaccinating against the very diseases they carry, then we're are still better off without them.
Quote:
If there are no mosquitoes, I am sure there will be epidemics.
But there are epidemics. Epidemics of mosquito-carried diseases. Check out the world-wide malaria statistics: it is a very serious problem.

Nope. Mosquitoes cannot be justified!

I wish we could get the CO2 traps here, although the mosquito problem is so bad this year that one would probably be totally clogged over one night in my garden.
Old 16th February 2014, 14:04   #4234
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillMan View Post
On the other hand, Mosquitoes do a lot of vaccination job by inserting small dosages of bacterias and virus.
I have never heard anything like this before. Do you have a cite for this?
Old 19th February 2014, 12:20   #4235
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
Thanks mate. We are emptying the kitchen this weekend and gonna clean the cabins off. Will spread this boric powder everywhere and see if they get vanished.
Tried this. But no luck. The insects were enjoying the boric acid powder as if they were their talcum powder.
Anyways in this exercise, identified the source of these breeds and cleaned those areas. Will need to monitor for a day or two to decide if my mission is successful.
Old 19th February 2014, 13:09   #4236
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
The overhead tank is at a height of about a 3rd storey level. Mine is an independent house, with a portion on the first floor, then a terrace and from the terrace, the overhead tank has been built starting at a height of about 12+ feet from the terrace - probably to accommodate an additional floor in the future. The internal GI pipes may be rusted and blocked due to the age of the building, but it is a bother, when you cannot open 2 taps in the same bathroom, without slowing down significantly the flow of water.
While you have already got suggestions, I will add one more.
Try a cheap tullu pump (should not cost you more than Rs. 2000). This is like a portable pump which you can connect to the tap and let the outlet drain some water into the sink. This should suck out all the air from the pipes above. Observe if there is any increase in air pressure in the other outlets after this exercise. Just remember that the inlet of the pump should have water (primed) before you switch it on. Read the instructions.

Quote:
Guys, is this the right thread to seek suggestions on how to kill/avoid loads of tiny insects creeping in the kitchen cupboards, shelves et al. First I thought it to be roaches and used all sprays, It proved futile. After close examination, its some kind of a insect and not roaches. I have clicked some snaps of them in all sizes. Will post here if required. Kindly suggest.
Do you have humid climate? If yes, then it is difficult to get rid of insects.
If you have a pest control fellow around, try the herbal paste method. It is effective against most of the insects.
They even have a chemical (liquid) which they spray on the walls and another chemical which they burn in the house. The smoke is dangerous, so please cover all food items and evacuate the house for a few hours.

Meanwhile, we got the Kenwood SM 740 sandwich maker.
It has the capacity to make four sandwiches at a time, plus interchangable plates (with grill and toast).
We tried it twice. The thing is fast. It takes less than 5 minutes for 4 sandwiches. Good for parties.
Old 19th February 2014, 16:36   #4237
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
While you have already got suggestions, I will add one more.

Try a cheap tullu pump (should not cost you more than Rs. 2000). This is like a portable pump which you can connect to the tap and let the outlet drain some water into the sink. This should suck out all the air from the pipes above. Observe if there is any increase in air pressure in the other outlets after this exercise. Just remember that the inlet of the pump should have water (primed) before you switch it on. Read the instructions.

This is to determine if air locks are causing this flow degradation?
One plumber who visited to install a worm filter mentioned that the air inlet pipe which is connected to the overhead tank is short and should be longer and have a T on top. He thought this could be the reason for pressure problems. I have purchased extension pipes and the T etc. gotta have it fitted as one thing to rule out.
Old 19th February 2014, 20:18   #4238
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
This is to determine if air locks are causing this flow degradation?
One plumber who visited to install a worm filter mentioned that the air inlet pipe which is connected to the overhead tank is short and should be longer and have a T on top. He thought this could be the reason for pressure problems. I have purchased extension pipes and the T etc. gotta have it fitted as one thing to rule out.
Well, that suggestion was to get rid of air related problems. If you switch on the pump, the flow will increase. However I am not sure how much water will flow off the other outlets in the house during that time.

If your plumber has a tullu pump which you can borrow, then that would be the best option for you.
Old 20th February 2014, 11:13   #4239
BHPian

Quote:
Do you have humid climate? If yes, then it is difficult to get rid of insects.
If you have a pest control fellow around, try the herbal paste method. It is effective against most of the insects.
They even have a chemical (liquid) which they spray on the walls and another chemical which they burn in the house. The smoke is dangerous, so please cover all food items and evacuate the house for a few hours.
The problem is modular kitchen, where we dump in the washed vessels without completely drying them in to the cupboards with closures. This makes the interior wet always.
Problem is with the modular cupboards itself. Upon close investigation, these cupboards, border planks have not been firmly stuck to the walls. Meaning there are many a gaps between these planks and walls, which are the breeding grounds for these insects. Yesterday identified those crevices/gaps and applied Hit and to our amuse 100s of tiny/mid/large insects/cockroaches creeped out. one full bottle of Hit is consumed to kill 50% of the population.
If they return to their same place, thinking of calling the pest control people. How is this PCI ? They have annual as well as single service. How effective they are and is it economical ?
Old 20th February 2014, 12:39   #4240
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The problem is modular kitchen, where we dump in the washed vessels without completely drying them in to the cupboards with closures. This makes the interior wet always.
Problem is with the modular cupboards itself. Upon close investigation, these cupboards, border planks have not been firmly stuck to the walls. Meaning there are many a gaps between these planks and walls, which are the breeding grounds for these insects. Yesterday identified those crevices/gaps and applied Hit and to our amuse 100s of tiny/mid/large insects/cockroaches creeped out. one full bottle of Hit is consumed to kill 50% of the population.
If they return to their same place, thinking of calling the pest control people. How is this PCI ? They have annual as well as single service. How effective they are and is it economical ?
I can tell you, that Hit will increase the population of cockroaches. I am not sure about other insects.
You can observe closely and report back if I am correct.
We stopped using Hit more than 3 years ago and never needed it again. Isn't that ironical?
Old 20th February 2014, 12:42   #4241
BHPian

Quote:
I can tell you, that Hit will increase the population of cockroaches. I am not sure about other insects.
You can observe closely and report back if I am correct.
We stopped using Hit more than 3 years ago and never needed it again. Isn't that ironical?
What is the way out then? Using HIT, all these creepy creatures were pushed out of their den. Most big and mid ones died. Tried Boric powder, but no use. What other options are available? PCI ?
Old 20th February 2014, 13:02   #4242
Senior - BHPian

I don't know what you mean by PCI. Is that some pest control company name? If yes, go ahead with that.
Old 20th February 2014, 16:20   #4243
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Avoid all these chemicals (Hit, Vaporizer, coil etc) which are bad for us. More so since you have a kid at home.

Open out the windows during the day and close them before sun-set - this will ensure most of the pesky mosquitos stay out.
And for the unlucky ones that still manage to get in, buy one of those electric-bats (shaped like a shuttle-racquet) and electrocute them to death.

Or you could have netting fixed on your windows/doors. Have used it earlier and this is pretty good in containing the menace.
The downsides being that the very tiny perforations don't allow air/breeze to get in. Plus, these accumulate dust like crazy and need to be washed regularly.
Got netting done, but mosquitoes were still coming in and out. Dad took them on with a vengeance, and closed the really small gaps - exhaust fans, gaps between and under doors. The holes made to fit the AC. Anything and everything. Took several days for him to find and close all of them

But now it works. Peace of mind
Old 21st February 2014, 11:55   #4244
BHPian

I just wish science and technology advances to such an extent where we have miniature hovering robots which use a small beam of laser to shoot these bugs down. and if possible, i would love a manual override where i can control such a mini-bot to hunt these mosquitoes. I love nurturing the mosquito-sadist in me .
Old 21st February 2014, 13:14   #4245
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch-Angel View Post
I... i would love a manual override where i can control such a mini-bot to hunt these mosquitoes.
To take off your frustration, you could use a mosquito racket available for about 200 bucks in the local markets. Thankfully my house is very sparsely populated with mosquitoes, I don't have to use it, but nevertheless, using that device and 'frying' those mosquitoes with electric sparks takes off your frustration. I have a feeling that using the racket with some repellent support like all out will do the job.

Regards,
Saket

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks