Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2014, 15:35   #4246
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch-Angel View Post
... I love nurturing the mosquito-sadist in me.
India, thought of by so many foreigners as the land of spirituality and peace, has turned me into a mass murderer! I used to be the sort of person that would carefully rescue one insect from the house, but have become responsible for deaths of thousands of ants, termites, mosquitoes, etc.

My racket is always within arm's reach. it is particularly satisfying when one waves it where one thinks there might be a mosquito, and sees the flash.
Old 21st February 2014, 18:47   #4247
BHPian

These days the solar heater(solarizer, 200 liters SS Model) which is of 2007 make, is not retaining the heat. We get hot water around afternoon, but early morning it is luke warm. So the solar heater is NOT able to retain the heat, overnight. Are there any work around to retain the heat? Please advise.
Old 21st February 2014, 18:54   #4248
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
These days the solar heater(solarizer, 200 liters SS Model) which is of 2007 make, is not retaining the heat. We get hot water around afternoon, but early morning it is luke warm. So the solar heater is NOT able to retain the heat, overnight. Are there any work around to retain the heat? Please advise.
Get the coil or rod like thing inside the solar heater changed as it get accumulated with salts even if it's slightly hard water overtime. We change it every year.
Old 22nd February 2014, 12:36   #4249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhilash95 View Post
Get the coil or rod like thing inside the solar heater changed as it get accumulated with salts even if it's slightly hard water overtime. We change it every year.
This is news for me. I thought solar heaters would NOT have the regular heater coils inside them. Even i was not told about the same during the annual service checkups. Anyways, thanks for the info!
Old 22nd February 2014, 15:17   #4250
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I thought solar heaters would NOT have the regular heater coils inside them
They may be an option. We have one, but never even fitted it.

Our solar water heater has a 250ltr tank: I'd rather heat a couple of pans on the stove than attempt to heat that electrically just to use a few litres washing!

Solar heater warning: should have a sacrificial anode. Watch out for this and replace regularly. Ours was never replaced, and the result is that the life of the unit is severely compromised. Complaining gets one nowhere: the best they would do is a small discount on a new unit, which is a major investment. I'd rather not give them more money: when the leaks get too bad, we'll buy off someone else!

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 22nd February 2014 at 15:19.
Old 23rd February 2014, 14:30   #4251
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Check the insulation of the holding tank. With age the insulation may have got clumped or there may be water leakage which murders the insulation.
Old 24th February 2014, 16:25   #4252
BHPian

My OTG has started giving problems. Whenever I switch it on, it works for some time, maybe 5 minutes, then the mains MCB gets tripped. Any idea what could be the problem? If there was a short inside, then the MCB should have tripped immediately after switching on. Is it possible that one of the heater coils has got damaged? How to rectify the problem? I am connecting it to the regular 15A outlet and I also checked rating of the MCB. Anyways, it was working fine earlier at the same outlet.
Old 24th February 2014, 18:01   #4253
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SachinVD View Post
My OTG has started giving problems. Whenever I switch it on, it works for some time, maybe 5 minutes, then the mains MCB gets tripped. Any idea what could be the problem? If there was a short inside, then the MCB should have tripped immediately after switching on. Is it possible that one of the heater coils has got damaged? How to rectify the problem? I am connecting it to the regular 15A outlet and I also checked rating of the MCB. Anyways, it was working fine earlier at the same outlet.
Am assuming OTG = Geyser. If yes, then you need to change the heating coil/+ thermostat. I had to do the same recently and the symptoms were similar. Its fairly a simple DIY (if you ask me ) The coils & thermostat are easily available in the nearby hardware shops.
Old 24th February 2014, 19:34   #4254
t18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinjosep View Post
Am assuming OTG = Geyser. If yes, then you need to change the heating coil/+ thermostat. I had to do the same recently and the symptoms were similar. Its fairly a simple DIY (if you ask me ) The coils & thermostat are easily available in the nearby hardware shops.
OTG = Oven, Toaster and Griller.
Old 24th February 2014, 20:47   #4255
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SachinVD View Post
There is a short some where, it may be in the wiring or in the element itself.
. Open it up and check all the wires. In case some are frayed or the insulation has crumbled change the wire.
. In case all the wires are fine, then check the thermostat. If it is dirty then it may be shorting when engaged, clean it.
. If every thing is fine then the element is shorting. Change it.
Old 25th February 2014, 02:04   #4256

Best Washing Machine-Input your guides!

People, I thought I could just buy a washing machine with a little bit of searching and reviews, but then, I got really confused. With multiple brands and technologies, I couldn't make out a decision. So I thought, I would better seek the help of my fellow BHPians and choose the best machine for my home.
Here are my needs based on what I read and understood so far:
1. I need a fully automatic machine.
2. Capacity can be as low as 5 kg as mine is nuclear family. (but there is going to be a kid coming up so I would require hot water washing)
3. Automatic water drain
4. Front loading.

Additional requirements (absence of these features wont change my buying option)

1. Child lock
2. Less water consumption (I have a good water supple but its hard water)
3. Automatic restart (like, after a power failure)
4. Ability to add clothes Mid cycle.

So based on my requirements I have shortlisted these:
1) IFB 6 Kg Elena Aqua front load
3) LG 5.5Kg F8091MDL2 Front load
3) Samsung Front load 6.5 Kg WF1650NCW/TL

Can you suggest what brand to choose? Instead of a low end front load, will a good quality top load machine work better? Kindly post your real experience if any, and help me choose a best brand. My main need is a long lasting machine ultimately with no compromise in quality. My budget is not more than 26k.
Old 25th February 2014, 11:08   #4257
BHPian

Look for LG With inverter motor. I have 8kg with dryer. Saves power and it will serve your requirements. IFB service is bad these days LG is good on that.
Old 25th February 2014, 11:49   #4258
BHPian

Guys,
Looking to buy a 42" LED TV. Liked LG 42LN5400.
My requirements are good picture quality from all angles as we have sofas all around. True colors, value for money, good life of TV, more features than other TVs.
My view distance is from 10 to 11 feet.

Is my selection good enough, or is there any other brand TV better than this model?

Thanks,
Ramki
Old 25th February 2014, 12:17   #4259
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Best Washing Machine-Input your guides!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedia2013 View Post
So based on my requirements I have shortlisted these:
1) IFB 6 Kg Elena Aqua front load
3) LG 5.5Kg F8091MDL2 Front load
3) Samsung Front load 6.5 Kg WF1650NCW/TL
Find out about the service standard of IFB at your place. It would be better if any friend/ relative of yours have an IFB appliance. They will be in the best position to tell you about service. If the service is good, go for IFB. The products are really good & reliable.

I would prefer it over the Koreans.
Old 25th February 2014, 13:08   #4260
Senior - BHPian

Guys, I am in the market for buying a water purifier - but really confused with all the brands.
What all parameters should I look for when I choose the water purifier?

I am from Bangalore and the water is hard water.

Thanks
Anoop

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks