Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2014, 20:07   #4381
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
I am in the market for a new mixer-grinder/food processor. The 10 year old trusted philips one is showing signs of aging and I wanted to know what brand is good these days.
I'm guessing you have a 1631/1632. These are fantastic and still being made today. The jars and blades are available if that's what's "aged". Or you can buy the same design new.

Another brand with consistent reliability /quality is Panasonic.

Kenwood is the most expensive but has higher quality too.

Among Indian brands butterfly is good but blade designs in their entry level models are poor.

P. S. The above information is courtesy a friend who owns an electronics repair business and provides service /after sales support for all these brands except Kenwood
Old 1st June 2014, 19:37   #4382
BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Need help in buying a front loading Washing Machine.
Shifting house & wifey insists on it
My requirements
Front loading fully automatics 6kgs (we are 2 adults & 2 small kids)
went through the thread would prefer direct drive one from LG, but IFB doers not have direct drive type
would like to finalise between LG & IFB,
Pls help with inputs
Old 1st June 2014, 20:21   #4383
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMINC View Post
Pls help with inputs
LG would win hands down against IFB. The product quality and after sales service is much better with LG. Go for the direct drive model.
Old 1st June 2014, 21:46   #4384
Senior - BHPian

I want to transport a washing machine in a car for over 3 hours. The machine is nothing sophisticated; just the twin tub model.

Possible? If so, any precaution to be taken?
Old 1st June 2014, 22:30   #4385
BHPian

Quote:
went through the thread would prefer direct drive one from LG, but IFB doers not have direct drive type
Pls help with inputs
IFB does have direct drive models and we have three IFB's within the family (the oldest being 15 years old and the youngest being a little over two years old).

The oldest machine is not a direct drive and has had its belt and door's rubber seal replaced once - service quality was ok. The newer ones are direct drives and haven't need any service yet.

I for one am not sure if LG is really better - I bought a side by side LG refrigerator and had to get the delivered refrigerator replaced thrice because of fit and finish issues (on the top side of the refrigerator body).
Old 2nd June 2014, 09:22   #4386
BHPian

Quote:
Need help in buying a front loading Washing Machine.
Shifting house & wifey insists on it
My requirements
Front loading fully automatics 6kgs (we are 2 adults & 2 small kids)
Pls help with inputs
I will suggest to skip IFB. The current generation IFB is not of the same make as the old gen. The old gen IFB used to have Bosch parts and was reliable and long lasting. Even we have 15yr old IFB still running fine with occasional service. I have LG DD too for past couple of years and the quality seems to be fine.
Old 3rd June 2014, 01:45   #4387
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackedHead View Post
IFB does have direct drive models and we have three IFB's within the family (the oldest being 15 years old and the youngest being a little over two years old).

The oldest machine is not a direct drive and has had its belt and door's rubber seal replaced once - service quality was ok. The newer ones are direct drives and haven't need any service yet.

I for one am not sure if LG is really better - I bought a side by side LG refrigerator and had to get the delivered refrigerator replaced thrice because of fit and finish issues (on the top side of the refrigerator body).
Just checked with IFB guys,
thay have stopped production of direct drive models,
spoke to LG guys also
both LG & IFB sales guys claim their products are the best (obviously)
unable to decide
Old 3rd June 2014, 12:01   #4388
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
both LG & IFB sales guys claim their products are the best (obviously)
unable to decide
Go with LG eyes closed. I had an IFB which was plagued with issues all through the 3 years it was under warranty. Everything except the outer shell needed replacement. You can read IFB horror stories in this thread itself. Switched to LG direct drive around 2 years ago and have been happy ever since.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsingh View Post
I'm guessing you have a 1631/1632. These are fantastic and still being made today. The jars and blades are available if that's what's "aged". Or you can buy the same design new.

Another brand with consistent reliability /quality is Panasonic.
Thanks. I am not too sure about the model number but like you said, it is still available in the market. Not going for the same design since we are looking for more features like juicer, chopper etc.

Last edited by Jaguar : 3rd June 2014 at 12:04.
Old 5th June 2014, 10:37   #4389
BHPian

Thin Tube Light Fixture : How Do I Remove The Tube?

Sorry, I couldn't find a better forum for this query.

We have these Havells thin tube light fixtures in our house and in one of the fixtures the tubelight recently reached end of life.

Now, I've replaced tubelights all my life but I can't seem to figure out how to remove the tube out of this fixture. When I twist the tube I hear the typical click followed by the tube coming loose, but there are these plastic things at both ends that seem to be preventing it from coming out.

How do I remove the tube out of this fixture? I don't want to apply too much force at any point as the tube might break. Here are the pictures of the plastic end:

The Home Appliance thread-img_20140604_191402687.jpg
The Home Appliance thread-img_20140604_191436790.jpg
Old 5th June 2014, 10:43   #4390
Senior - BHPian

Re: Thin Tube Light Fixture : How Do I Remove The Tube?

Looking at the second picture, I think you need to slide out the plastic caps at both the ends. Then the tube can be taken out.
Old 5th June 2014, 10:45   #4391
Distinguished - BHPian

These slide out. I have the same at home.
Even if the break, instant glue will hold them together. After all, its not something you move/open every day.
Old 5th June 2014, 11:06   #4392
BHPian

Thanks guys, I was pretty sure something had to slide here but couldn't figure out what.

But after your encouragement I slid a flat screw driver in a couple of places (see image) I could see 2 grooves running along the plastic cap. A little of prying force and I could take the cap out with my hands. Taking one of the caps was enough to remove the tubelight out of the fixture.

Case solved. Thanks!

The Home Appliance thread-img_20140604_191436790.jpg
The Home Appliance thread-img_20140605_105732978.jpg
Old 5th June 2014, 11:41   #4393
Team-BHP Support

It was as easy as sliding out the holder caps on the sides. Been there, done that.
Old 6th June 2014, 12:10   #4394
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@Jaguar; I swear by Kenwood. My K-chef lasted over 20 years and had to be dumped since the blades on the liquidizer packed up. I have a new one now. They do have a cheaper model which is also brilliant.
I am also in need of Mixer/Grinder. I did check Kenwood models but they look like an overkill for my home's needs. We need a mixer grinder that can chop, mince and grind (wet/dry) in smaller quantities. I have a Sumeet at home but even though it is still working (for 24 years now) and does its job, it is no longer as eager as before. The blades have lost that edge. Need something as a replacement. Down her Preethi and Butterfly are the most popular models but I am not sure of their reliability. Need one which is reliable and not expensive to maintain (read parts / replacement)
Old 6th June 2014, 13:58   #4395
Senior - BHPian

I can suggest you once mixer-grinder that I am using since last year. It is supremely powerful (1000W motor). Only Preethi makes a more powerful model at 1200W, but that looks industrial.

http://www.preethi.in/xpro.asp

It does everything in 3-4 seconds including making dosa/idli batter in small quantities.

It's a bit expensive, yes, but way too powerful.

http://www.elgiultra.com/website/pro...xer%20Grinders

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks