Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2014, 14:19   #4396
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
I want to transport a washing machine in a car for over 3 hours. The machine is nothing sophisticated; just the twin tub model.

Possible? If so, any precaution to be taken?
I recollect a couple of large pins/screws which I had received with my 7 year old front loading IFB which the installer had said was for securing the drum during transport.

However, I lost the things and have since moved house twice without any issues!

Essentially, you need to drain every component of the washing machine very very well - also take out and wash the fluff filter/strainer so that there is no clean/dirty water lurking anywhere.
Old 7th June 2014, 02:02   #4397
BHPian

http://www.sunday-guardian.com/artbe...atted-to-death

I didn't know that!
Old 7th June 2014, 10:03   #4398
BHPian

Dear all,

How are the reviews on Panasonic Washing Machines? We are considering a top loading automatic machine. Main attractions:

1. 7Kg model is cheaper than other brands' 6.5Kg models.

2. Claims minimum water use

3. Claims minimum electricity consumption
Old 7th June 2014, 10:36   #4399
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
I recollect a couple of large pins/screws which I had received with my 7 year old front loading IFB which the installer had said was for securing the drum during transport.

However, I lost the things and have since moved house twice without any issues!

Essentially, you need to drain every component of the washing machine very very well - also take out and wash the fluff filter/strainer so that there is no clean/dirty water lurking anywhere.
Those are called transit bolts. There are a couple of them. They secure the drum to the chassis to eliminate the movement during transit of machines and you MUST put them on before transporting. Once, I transported the machine while changing homes without paying attention to it and it damaged the motor. This is because the suspension allows the motor spindle to hit the chassis without the bolts in a front/back movement which happens while transporting. This movement is not there during the washing cycle.

However, I don't think that there is any such measure to be taken for twin tub semi-automatic machines.
Old 7th June 2014, 12:13   #4400
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya101 View Post
Dear all,

How are the reviews on Panasonic Washing Machines? We are considering a top loading automatic machine. Main attractions:

1. 7Kg model is cheaper than other brands' 6.5Kg models.

2. Claims minimum water use

3. Claims minimum electricity consumption

Panasonic is one of the oldest in the game, all Japanese manufacturers mostly make only top loading, top loading is no more inferior to front loading, GO for it

Sent from my iPad using Team-BHP
Old 9th June 2014, 17:05   #4401
BHPian

Can somebody please recommend me a Good top loading fully automatic washing machine below 20K, I have been using a Samsung one which I bought for 15K a couple of years back,but of late it has been conking off so I'm thinking of replacing it. Two brands I'd like to stay away are Samsung and IFB so now whats my choice?

Secondly is buying from Snapdeal smarter specially incase of bulky stuff like A washing machine? Do companies provide support properly when you buy from Online stores?
Old 9th June 2014, 20:55   #4402
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie4u View Post
Can somebody please recommend me a Good top loading fully automatic washing machine below 20K, I have been using a Samsung one which I bought for 15K a couple of years back,but of late it has been conking off so I'm thinking of replacing it. Two brands I'd like to stay away are Samsung and IFB so now whats my choice?

Secondly is buying from Snapdeal smarter specially incase of bulky stuff like A washing machine? Do companies provide support properly when you buy from Online stores?
Hi, you could try the LG series for a change. I have moved from a Samsung top loading machine to a LG and am happy with the performance. Personally, I would not buy my electronics from an online store if I had a choice. Easier to check the features and compare products in a store physically. Gives you the touch and feel of a product.
Old 9th June 2014, 22:46   #4403
Senior - BHPian

Choose between Whirlpool & Panasonic.

Better buy from a physical store, no point in taking a chance with warranty on an appliance that you would use on a daily basis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie4u View Post
Can somebody please recommend me a Good top loading fully automatic washing machine below 20K, .......... Two brands I'd like to stay away are Samsung and IFB so now whats my choice?
Old 11th June 2014, 18:46   #4404
Senior - BHPian

Earlier there was discussion on LG warranty and AMC.
Today, I called LG to ask about extended warranty or AMC. I was told that for top-loading fully automatic washing machine, the default warranty is 2 years. I can get extended warranty or AMC (I am mixing the two terms since I think they mean the same for LG) for upto 5 years of the product's life.
I have to pay Rs. 1200 for extending it by one year.
But for now, I have one more year of default warranty. The warranty does not cover any breakages etc, but it does cover repairs in general (so labour is included, but parts may not be free if they need to be replaced).
Old 11th June 2014, 21:37   #4405
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anupam View Post
.... Japanese manufacturers mostly make only top loading, top loading is no more inferior to front loading, GO for it
Globally, US is Top Loading territory, Japan Twin-tub, and Europe front loading. After the Lassi maker days (late 1970's) we have always used Front Loaders, IFB, Zanussi (in the UK), IFB, LG, LG (Inverter, Direct Drive).
Old 16th June 2014, 20:17   #4406
BHPian

Folks: I am in the market for a new electric chimney. Done some bit of online research and rounds of showrooms of various brands.

What we (me & wifey) know for sure is:

1. We want baffle filters - this rules out Gilma and Kaff.
2. No auto-clean required - this rules out Kutchina.
3. We want suction capacity of at least 1,000 cu. m/hr.
4. Touch screen panels not required.

Among the brands we checked out, this leaves Faber, Glen and Elica.

Any recommendations among the above 3? Or any other brand (Hindware/Green chef/ etc.)?

My main concerns lie with After Sales Service (specifically in Bangalore, where I live) and quality of the product.

Thanks in advance,
Arya

Last edited by aryasanyal : 16th June 2014 at 20:18.
Old 17th June 2014, 22:56   #4407
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aryasanyal View Post
Folks: I am in the market for a new electric chimney. Done some bit of online research and rounds of showrooms of various brands.

What we (me & wifey) know for sure is:

1. We want baffle filters - this rules out Gilma and Kaff.

What is the difference between baffle and wire mesh filter, we bought kaff wire mesh 2yrs back and is working fine, except for cleaning wire mesh periodically is quite messy and painful, we are not using any charcoal filter on top of it, as it reduces the suction effectiveness and charcoal is also expensive

Old 18th June 2014, 03:14   #4408
Senior - BHPian

Faber baffle filter is good enough. Comes with "lifetime" warranty too (or did so 5 years back). God knows what that means, though at our current acco, its a mesh filter which is fine as well.

These things are simple things - use one with buttons etc. Don't invest in touchscreens etc which may not work a few years later.
Old 18th June 2014, 10:10   #4409
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anupam View Post
What is the difference between baffle and wire mesh filter, we bought kaff wire mesh 2yrs back and is working fine, except for cleaning wire mesh periodically is quite messy and painful, we are not using any charcoal filter on top of it, as it reduces the suction effectiveness and charcoal is also expensive
Cleaning is the biggest grouse against mesh filters. Some of the differences are cited in this link -

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load...031361024.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Faber baffle filter is good enough. Comes with "lifetime" warranty too (or did so 5 years back). God knows what that means, though at our current acco, its a mesh filter which is fine as well.

These things are simple things - use one with buttons etc. Don't invest in touchscreens etc which may not work a few years later.
Thanks phamilyman. Faber it is then. I need to check out the lifetime warranty part though. As you rightly said, not sure what this really means.
Old 18th June 2014, 23:40   #4410
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aryasanyal View Post
Cleaning is the biggest grouse against mesh filters. Some of the differences are cited in this link -

[url]http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/appl/msg031031361024.html[/.

Thanks Dear, very informative read but 2 years too late, so at best we have to live with frequent cleaning, which though the maids are now expert in

Most Viewed