Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2014, 10:09   #4456
BANNED

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anupam View Post
So IIITK confirms the potential and the way forward, 1mega watt must have costed over 5 cr, any idea, whose equipment did they select
It is a mix of Indian and Imported stuff. The latter has an efficiency of 30%. We have major project on Solar Energy and this is part of that.
Old 13th July 2014, 16:18   #4457
BHPian

Re: Front Door Locks?

Please suggest me some front door locks with nice design, build quality and aesthetics. Now we have a EUROPA, whose keys are lost. So looking for a replacement.
Old 13th July 2014, 17:13   #4458
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Please suggest me some front door locks with nice design, build quality and aesthetics. Now we have a EUROPA, whose keys are lost. So looking for a replacement.
We use "Golden" brand, they have a vast range suitable for all pockets.
http://www.goldenlocks.com/
You can download their catalog and order online, though retail prices are at least 20% lower.
Old 13th July 2014, 18:53   #4459
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
We use "Golden" brand, they have a vast range suitable for all pockets.
http://www.goldenlocks.com/
You can download their catalog and order online, though retail prices are at least 20% lower.
Noob question - just curious whether these locks are safe like Godrej locks which are commonly used? But these are some good looking locks for sure!
Old 13th July 2014, 19:17   #4460
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazybrain View Post
Noob question - just curious whether these locks are safe like Godrej locks which are commonly used? But these are some good looking locks for sure!
The full locks come in parts
. The basic lock frame - it is normally pressed steel and made in China, costs around R2.200 here.
. The cylinder lock - these are available in various qualities and levers. You even have ones with dimples instead of cut edges. Just remember that the lock is a separate item. Again the normal ones are between Rs150 and 200, but advanced ones may be more expensive. Every time we loose a key, we just replace the lock.
. The handles. Again these come in a variety of sizes, materials and finishes. Their price ranges from Rs.300 to over Rs5,000/
Old 13th July 2014, 22:10   #4461
BHPian

Quote:
. The basic lock frame - it is normally pressed steel and made in China, costs around R2.200 here./
@Aroy - i guess you didn't get my question or may be its lack of understanding on my side!
I didn't want to know the price but wanted to know whether its burglar proof? Most of the modern godrej locks comes with electronic locking systems wherein it becomes extremely difficult for even an expert burglar to break it open!
Old 14th July 2014, 12:06   #4462
Senior - BHPian

Looking at buying a good vacuum cleaner for cleaning purposes at home , but also plan to occasionally use it for the car as well .

Have had bad experiences with Eureka Forbes Air Purifier , so not interested in EF.

LG is something I am looking at. Any other brands / models to look at ?
Old 14th July 2014, 17:37   #4463
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazybrain View Post
@Aroy - i guess you didn't get my question or may be its lack of understanding on my side!
I didn't want to know the price but wanted to know whether its burglar proof? Most of the modern godrej locks comes with electronic locking systems wherein it becomes extremely difficult for even an expert burglar to break it open!
Sorry for the confusion. I was talking about mechanical locks. Have no idea of electronic locks.

OK. I looked up on net.
http://www.godrejlocks.com/godrej/go...=0&productid=0
iLock seems to be OK, but I will never trust battery operated systems. Moreover these locks have an emergency mechanical key over ride, which negates the very idea of electronic security. Fine for hotels, but doubtful for homes.
Old 14th July 2014, 17:43   #4464
BANNED

I would prefer locks from Yale and Chubb. Godrej is derived from one of these. I remember a branch manager of Godrej ages ago, no lock is thief proof, they are only to delay the chap. Also, there are security locks like Night Latches, Mortise Locks, etc. and there are others which are just locks.
Old 14th July 2014, 18:13   #4465
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone tried security systems for apartments or small homes? I am looking at some basic systems to monitor home when I am not around. Any suggestions?
Old 14th July 2014, 21:17   #4466
BHPian

Quote:
. The basic lock frame - it is normally pressed steel and made in China, costs around R2.200 here.
. The cylinder lock - these are available in various qualities and levers. You even have ones with dimples instead of cut edges. Just remember that the lock is a separate item. Again the normal ones are between Rs150 and 200, but advanced ones may be more expensive. Every time we loose a key, we just replace the lock.
. The handles. Again these come in a variety of sizes, materials and finishes. Their price ranges from Rs.300 to over Rs5,000/
I am looking for something similar to our current lock in the picture.
From my visit to hardware stores, i have either 'Europa' or 'Godrej' as an option.
Attached Thumbnails
The Home Appliance thread-img_20140714_124539.jpg  

Old 15th July 2014, 00:56   #4467
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
Has anyone tried security systems for apartments or small homes? I am looking at some basic systems to monitor home when I am not around. Any suggestions?

You get wireless security cams, Chinese makes that can pan, tilt and zoom with night vision and motion sensors for about 60-70$ onward. I have two foscams that are basically indoor and can be accessed via a phone app or web. Also sends pictures by email when it detects motion. Not very clear but passable.
Old 15th July 2014, 11:47   #4468
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
From my visit to hardware stores, i have either 'Europa' or 'Godrej' as an option.
I would suggest Godrej since they send their own carpenter and do free installation. Many a doors in my home have been damaged by unskilled carpenters who don't know how to install modern locks.
Old 16th July 2014, 16:50   #4469
BHPian

One of my friend's planning for a fully automatic front loading washing machine with a capacity between 5 to 7 kgs.

While he doesn't have any specific asks all that he needs is a value for money product with hassle free ownership.

IFB seems out of budget hence please suggest any other brand.
Old 16th July 2014, 17:02   #4470
Senior - BHPian

Go for LG front load machine if you want hassle free ownership!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks