Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2014, 17:27   #4471
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
Looking at buying a good vacuum cleaner for cleaning purposes at home , but also plan to occasionally use it for the car as well .

Have had bad experiences with Eureka Forbes Air Purifier , so not interested in EF.

LG is something I am looking at. Any other brands / models to look at ?
I use a Panasonic vacuum cleaner (brought from flipkart) and is a happy customer. Do check them out.

I am looking to buy Hydraulic door closers for the doors in my home but have zilch idea about which one is better. Google did throw up some names (Dorma, Godrej, Ritz, Kadson, Doorset etc) but not sure which one among them is a good, VFM brand.

Any pointers about which are the good brands to buy and what will the price range be?

I am planning to use them for my main door, two bedroom doors and one balcony door.

--Anoop

Last edited by theexperthand : 16th July 2014 at 17:28.
Old 16th July 2014, 18:32   #4472
Senior - BHPian

Go with Godrej, the price will be higher than the other Johnnys but so is the quality and the after sales service. Get it installed by their technician only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
I am looking to buy Hydraulic door closers for the doors in my home but have zilch idea about which one is better. Google did throw up some names (Dorma, Godrej, Ritz, Kadson, Doorset etc) but not sure which one among them is a good, VFM brand.

Any pointers about which are the good brands to buy and what will the price range be?

I am planning to use them for my main door, two bedroom doors and one balcony door.

--Anoop
Old 16th July 2014, 18:36   #4473
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Go with Godrej, the price will be higher than the other Johnnys but so is the quality and the after sales service. Get it installed by their technician only.
Thanks - will sure try them. I was thinking of doing a DIY install though.

--Anoop
Old 16th July 2014, 22:08   #4474
Distinguished - BHPian

LG is not hassle-free for me.

However much I ensure that the thing is level, it vibrates so much and is likely to start jumping around and attempting suicide if the load is a little too much, a bit uneven, or the spin speed is more than minimum.

I have known many washing machines in my life, and owned three, I never know one like this. Hoping that I can nurse it and not have to buy another, but if I do, it will not be LG.
Old 17th July 2014, 08:28   #4475
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
LG is not hassle-free for me.

However much I ensure that the thing is level, it vibrates so much and is likely to start jumping around and attempting suicide if the load is a little too much, a bit uneven, or the spin speed is more than minimum.

I have known many washing machines in my life, and owned three, I never know one like this. Hoping that I can nurse it and not have to buy another, but if I do, it will not be LG.
It may not be about being an LG product. Usually the grinding noises and the vibrations are emitted due to faulty bearings or a bad drive belt. These things are capable of breaking down anytime and is not specific to a brand. There are a couple of springs that hold up the tub from each side while it spins. These springs must be of the same tension, if not, lots of vibes there too. There are a couple of rubber boots and/or shock dampers below that prop up the tub. Get them checked/changed and that might just solve your problem.

"The outer tub is supported by springs, pistons or counterweights to keep it balanced. The weight of all that water in a wash load requires a powerful balancing mechanism. If the balancing system becomes detached from one or more points, it will not be able to balance the load properly. Furthermore, even if everything appears to be in place, as the appliance ages, the springs or pistons may begin to wear out and not support as much weigh as needed.

Unplug the washer and open the cabinet. Because of the variety of balancing mechanisms, you will have to inspect your machine to determine how it is balanced. Once you discover the mechanism, then inspect it for integrity. In the case of old parts that appear to be in working order, you may not be able to tell if they need to be replaced. They may be weak but appear to be in good condition. If no other solution resolves the problem, then replacing the balancing springs or other moving support parts may be called for."

Source

Prajwal

Last edited by prajwalkashyap : 17th July 2014 at 08:37.
Old 17th July 2014, 10:38   #4476
Senior - BHPian

my front-loader IFB although not suffering any mechanical problems for 4 years also suffered from numerous cracks to its plastic body in due course of time. The first crack appeared on the lid in 4 months and then the top lid was replaced with a new one and then again a crack appeared after 4 months of use. When the technician removed the top cover to replace the lid I happened to see a BIG cement stone inside, then I presumed that it was what passed for a balancer in front-load models. It seemed crude and not built to last. I did not think that the WM would last but was surprised to see such crude materials being used.

Ultimately exactly after 4 years of use, the warranty of the machine was also 4 years the drum gave away and broke into pieces. The replacement drum costs 7000, I just gave away the WM as scrap and bought an LG top loader automatic for 13K.
Old 17th July 2014, 11:48   #4477
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prajwalkashyap View Post
It may not be about being an LG product. Usually the grinding noises and the vibrations are emitted due to faulty bearings or a bad drive belt. These things are capable of breaking down anytime and is not specific to a brand. There are a couple of springs that hold up the tub from each side while it spins. These springs must be of the same tension, if not, lots of vibes there too. There are a couple of rubber boots and/or shock dampers below that prop up the tub. Get them checked/changed and that might just solve your problem.
No mechanical noises, everything runs very smoothly and silently. The problem has been there since new, and service engineer didn't see anything wrong. My theory is that they skimp on the counterweighting, but I admit I have no direct evidence of that, except that this is the lightest washing machine I've owned.

I have to put non-slip stuff under the feet and run it on spin speed of 400 or 800 --- but who would want a car they couldn't drive at more than 20kph?

Perhaps I just got what I paid for. I had a Bosch machine from UK before, but chose not to afford the German Giants here. It was false economy: I am not a happy LG customer.
Old 17th July 2014, 12:07   #4478
BHPian

Hi friends,am planning to buy a dishwasher soon,which is the best brand available, and how is the service for it? I would like to buy a premium brand,any suggestions are most welcome.
Old 17th July 2014, 13:08   #4479
Senior - BHPian

BHPians,

Intending to buy a geyser 3L capacity for bathroom and zeroed in on Racold, Cromption Greaves & Bajaj in the range of 3-4K. How's Racold Pronto?

Dont need for storage one, but instant hot water purpose? Any better suggestions.
Old 17th July 2014, 13:09   #4480
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindrider2626 View Post
Hi friends,am planning to buy a dishwasher soon,which is the best brand available, and how is the service for it? I would like to buy a premium brand,any suggestions are most welcome.
Go for the Siemens. I have used it in more than 3 projects and have been receiving positive feedback from all my clients. It is however fully imported and could be more expensive than the rest but the quality more than makes up for the price difference.
Old 17th July 2014, 13:17   #4481
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have been using IFB for a while. It has suffered a minor breakdown once. However, I still have trust in them as my IFB Washing machine is going strong even after 16 years of continued service.

For premium brands, go for Siemens or Bosch. Just make sure that good service is available. Stuffs like these are worthless without proper service support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
BHPians,

Intending to buy a geyser 3L capacity for bathroom and zeroed in on Racold, Cromption Greaves & Bajaj in the range of 3-4K. How's Racold Pronto?

Dont need for storage one, but instant hot water purpose? Any better suggestions.
Go for Racold or CG. I would suggest you avoid electricals by Bajaj. I have been using Racold - storage type and CG - Instant geyser. Impressed by both. Racold has a slightly better build quality than CG and probably is best in the business.
Old 17th July 2014, 20:42   #4482
Senior - BHPian

Get one by AO Smith also sold by Jaguar as Smith Jaguar. The range starts from 3.5L and let's one set the water temperature accurately every time unlike the rest that remain stuck on a singe set temperature throughout their life time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Old 18th July 2014, 20:57   #4483
BHPian

Hi Folks,

I am moving from USA to Chennai after 6 years by end of this month for good and need some help in deciding and purchasing household items. Recently bought a 3bhk house in Madambakkam,Chennai and need to buy the following.

1. LED lights for the whole house.
2. Energy efficient fans.
3. Refrigerator
4. Washing Machine
5. AC - Thinking of buying inverter for Master and regular one's for other rooms.
6. Furniture's
7. Kitchen appliances
8. Modular kitchen ideas

Any and all suggestions are welcome and if possible would like to know best places to buy in Chennai. Thanks.
Old 18th July 2014, 21:17   #4484
BHPian

Hey guys, thinking of buying a gas stove from Prestige Smart Kitchen online store. They have exchange offers on COD. Has anyone had any experience with their website? What is your opinion on buying a gas stove online?
Old 18th July 2014, 23:00   #4485
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
I have been using IFB for a while. It has suffered a minor breakdown once. However, I still have trust in them as my IFB Washing machine is going strong even after 16 years of continued service.

For premium brands, go for Siemens or Bosch. Just make sure that good service is available. Stuffs like these are worthless without proper service support.
I have had a IFB for past 7 years in Delhi and my parents have another IFB in Orissa. Thankfully, our experience has been good. And, as Saket says - do check on support service aspect. We have received fantastic service from IFB. Nothing wrong with the dishwasher.

We have had a frontloading machine for past 9-10 years. The washing machine has served us well. As with age, the machine has required repairs but those have been pocket friendly. So far - happy with IFB for a dryer, a dishwasher and a front loading washing machine!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks