Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2014, 12:15   #4576
BHPian

I have a 8kg top loading whirlpool which is about 5 years old. It has been nothing but misery but since I had the 4 year extended warranty I was okay. Just before the warranty got over the logic board had to be changed. The same board seems to have conked out again 6 months later. I looked at the electro mechanical interiors and was considering a jugaad to directly attach external switches to turn on the drum, inlet, outlet on manual press. Any suggestions? Has anyone done this? I am also trying to source the logic board second hand as I don't want to spend 10k on it.
The only appeal of this machine is it's size. A double king size comforter fits in very well, which is a very tight fit in my 5kg front loader samsung...
Old 8th September 2014, 22:27   #4577
BHPian

Re: Waste water on drain outlets?

My sister has this front loading LG washing machine, which was moved from rented home to her new home. Now on installation, the waste water is coming off both the drain outlets (i.e left and right side). Is there any switch to redirect the waste water to a particular outlet? What are we missing here?

Please advise!
Old 9th September 2014, 18:48   #4578
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Loving my Bosch dishwasher. Have IFB detergent which seems quite good. Big thumbs down for Finish. Absolutely no updates for two weeks after purchasing their combo of detergent, salt and rinse-aid. I called them and got nowhere.
Old 10th September 2014, 10:09   #4579
Senior - BHPian

Thought I would write about the recent purchase. Bought a Phillips HD4938 Induction cooktop from Amazon for Rs 3658. The product was delivered within 2 days. The unit is a 2100 watt device with 10 preset cooking menus. The glass top is black and attractive, while the rest of the body is white making it more affine to dirt and grime. The cooling fan is at the bottom and needs to be on for 3 min before the unit can be switched off. Making tea, using pressure cooker is now a breeze. The limitations however are the induction base vessels should be withing the 12 to 20 in size dimensions. Anything outside there is a continuous beep. The best part of the cooktop is light weight, can be carried anywhere and needs the regular 6A power socket. All in all a good buy.
Old 10th September 2014, 10:18   #4580
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
Loving my Bosch dishwasher. Have IFB detergent which seems quite good. Big thumbs down for Finish. Absolutely no updates for two weeks after purchasing their combo of detergent, salt and rinse-aid. I called them and got nowhere.
Same Here. I also bought Bosch dishwasher, thanks to this forum, it rocks as always
And I also agree with your comments on Finish, there was no way to track the items. Well, eventually it arrived after aboiut 15 days of ordering. You can perhaps try buying it in many grocery outlets. I saw few of them keeping stock of Finish.
Old 10th September 2014, 11:42   #4581
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Is there any switch to redirect the waste water to a particular outlet? What are we missing here?

Please advise!
Just block the outlet that's not needed. Some washing machines provide outlets on either side to facilitate proper installation.
Old 13th September 2014, 23:51   #4582
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
I am using two Racold 1l instant geysers (Pronto is the model I think) for past 3+ years. One is used almost daily and the other say around 200 days a year. Both working properly without any issues.
I am looking for a new water heater and thinking of A.O.Smith this time. Any first hand reviews?
Old 14th September 2014, 00:49   #4583
BHPian

Quote:
I am looking for a new water heater and thinking of A.O.Smith this time. Any first hand reviews?

I have 25ltrs AOSmith installed in the flat which is rented out for last three years, NO complaints at all. I have Racold at my home for last 5 years, again NO complaints. Both brands have served me well. AO Smith is a bit expensive than Racold though.
Old 14th September 2014, 02:33   #4584
Senior - BHPian

Been using a 50 litre AO Smith (6 years now) that serves the kitchen and one of the bathrooms. The other bathrooms have Racold & Thermoking(10+ years). The thing with AO Smith is that it gives accurate control over the desired temperature whereas the R&T have a rotary knob/button kind of thingy that in any case becomes stuck after a few seasons. So now they are permanently stuck at the max possible temp and that leads to unnecessary extra heating irrespective of the requirement w.r.t. the ambient.

Secondly the AO Smith holds the temperature better overnight compared to the others. This is very important (at least here in Dilli) as one is assured that there will be hot water as the tap are turned on early in the morning. In the other bathrooms one has to first switch on the geyser and then wait till the water warms up to acceptable levels.

Quote:
Old 14th September 2014, 09:08   #4585
BHPian

Any suggestions on Roti/Chapathi maker. Seen a youtube video on the demo of Butterfly brand and pretty impressed. Any advices before I go for it.
Old 14th September 2014, 09:20   #4586
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
Any suggestions on Roti/Chapathi maker. Seen a Youtube video on the demo of Butterfly brand and pretty impressed. Any advices before I go for it.
Can't help you with the brand, but I can tell you that it's just not the same.
They don't come out like you expect them. Cooked, but rubbery, i don't know how that happens. When you go for a demo, take some kneaded dough like what you would be using, and guage first. If you're OK with what comes out, then go for it.
Old 14th September 2014, 10:29   #4587
Team-BHP Support

I am looking forward to buy a small fridge, say, in 100 to 150 liters. Anything available in this capacity from major CE providers?
Old 14th September 2014, 19:10   #4588
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
Any suggestions on Roti/Chapathi maker. Seen a Youtube video on the demo of Butterfly brand and pretty impressed. Any advices before I go for it.
Ours has been sitting in the loft for years now. Like mayank said, the rotis don't taste like regular ones and won't come out proper like shown in the demo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
I am looking forward to buy a small fridge, say, in 100 to 150 liters. Anything available in this capacity from major CE providers?
Most major brands have something in the 160-180l range. I saw only a couple of brands in the 100l category and the price was almost same as the larger counterparts. Not worth going for the small fridge unless you have space constraint.
Old 15th September 2014, 12:46   #4589
Distinguished - BHPian

A shout for good service from Havells India.

Had bought 8 Havell's fan for my flat almost 2 years ago. One of them went dead for no apparent reason for the last few weeks. I was feeling lazy to get it repaired and then it struck to me that the fan would have been under the promised 2 year guarantee.
All I had to do was to lodge a complain by giving the basic details of the purchase at the toll-free Havell's call center and they promised to send a tech within 48 hours. I made the call Saturday late evening, by 8 or so. As promised, the tech guy was home on Monday morning and repaired the fan within an hour or so. The coil had developed some issue (not burnt) but was replaced for free under warranty.

All in all, good efficient service by Havells. They kept me informed of the process through timely messages.
Old 15th September 2014, 15:09   #4590
BHPian

Quote:
Ours has been sitting in the loft for years now. Like mayank said, the rotis don't taste like regular ones and won't come out proper like shown in the demo.
We used to have a Roti maker from a local brand. Even in the initial few days my wife found that the rotis were rubbery. Turns out you need to make the dough of more moist consistency than what you knead for making rotis on tawa. We were able to use the rotimaker for 2 years until the Thermostat packed off (local brand you see). I do not see any issues if it is made from regular brand where support or quality should be better.
Positives:
1. Saves hassles of rolling and reduction in time.
2. can cook rotis oil-free and is as soft as phulka made on open fire once you get hang of it

Negatives:
1. Small in size. You cannot make rotis bigger than diameter of press.
2. Poor support.
3. Limited capability. can make rotis or dosa only.
4. should use oil sparingly. cannot make dilli style paranthe

Most Viewed