Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2014, 20:19   #4621
BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Microwave oven inner cavity damage:
I have a 5 year old 30" LG MW(Grill) and is functioning well. Turntable rests on a ring with wheels rotating on a circular groove in the body,as with all MWs.
Now some sort of rust colored,hard deposit has formed(due to spillover etc) at one place(right below the groove for wheels) and it has corroded the body forming a hole.. During operation,this hole causes the turntable to a jerky stop with a sound for a while before continuing to rotate.
The re heating/cooking quality is fine,as usual.
I would like to know whether MW has become un-usable(due to safety issues).
Is it possible/advisable, to repair/patch the hole portion with some sealing compound?
If yes, is the repair option safe/advisable inside the oven cavity (which I am doubtful).
This time I want to go for a 20-23 ltr,solo type as we are just two,veggies.
Please advise.

Last edited by virgopal : 9th October 2014 at 20:20. Reason: replaced word
Old 10th October 2014, 09:31   #4622
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgopal View Post
Microwave oven inner cavity damage:

Now some sort of rust colored,hard deposit has formed(due to spillover etc) at one place(right below the groove for wheels) and it has corroded the body forming a hole.. During operation,this hole causes the turntable to a jerky stop with a sound for a while before continuing to rotate.
The re heating/cooking quality is fine,as usual.
I would like to know whether MW has become un-usable(due to safety issues).
Is it possible/advisable, to repair/patch the hole portion with some sealing compound?
If yes, is the repair option safe/advisable inside the oven cavity (which I am doubtful).
The hole can be filled with a synthetic resin. Make sure that you disconnect the oven from the mains supply first. Clean the surfaces. Let it dry and then apply the compound - one small portion and then wait for it to dry. Add as required. Once done, sand it down flush.
Old 10th October 2014, 09:52   #4623
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
The hole can be filled with a synthetic resin. Make sure that you disconnect the oven from the mains supply first. Clean the surfaces. Let it dry and then apply the compound - one small portion and then wait for it to dry. Add as required. Once done, sand it down flush.
Thanks for the tip. For closing the hole,can I use Araldite/ M Seal?
Old 10th October 2014, 10:01   #4624
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgopal View Post
Thanks for the tip. For closing the hole,can I use Araldite/ M Seal?
Araldite has a tendency to run out of the target area. So if you can see the bottom plate of the oven, then Araldite can be safely used. Or it is better to go with M seal.
Old 10th October 2014, 10:16   #4625
BANNED

I will try and avoid M-Seal sincd it has a metal content. Of course you can use the white variety.
Old 10th October 2014, 10:34   #4626
BHPian

I will try sealing with M-Seal, white variety.
Thanks sgiitk Sir and Prowler for help.
Old 10th October 2014, 13:22   #4627
BHPian

Online stores are getting bombarded with the new type of cooking, air fryers. How good are these products? I mean in comparison to frying on pan?
Old 11th October 2014, 17:43   #4628
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillMan View Post
Online stores are getting bombarded with the new type of cooking, air fryers. How good are these products? I mean in comparison to frying on pan?
In this thread itself,Air Frier has been discussed in detail with pictures. Please search for more details
Thanks
Old 12th October 2014, 17:18   #4629
Senior - BHPian

My 12 year old Samsung MW has stopped working - the MW part, rest is fine - timer, grill etc. Does any one know whether the MW can be repaired, and if so where in Delhi? (Prefer South Delhi)
Old 12th October 2014, 18:15   #4630
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Thought I would write about the recent purchase. Bought a Phillips HD4938 Induction cooktop from Amazon for Rs 3658. The product was delivered within 2 days. The unit is a 2100 watt device with 10 preset cooking menus. The glass top is black and attractive, while the rest of the body is white making it more affine to dirt and grime. The cooling fan is at the bottom and needs to be on for 3 min before the unit can be switched off. Making tea, using pressure cooker is now a breeze. The limitations however are the induction base vessels should be withing the 12 to 20 in size dimensions. Anything outside there is a continuous beep. The best part of the cooktop is light weight, can be carried anywhere and needs the regular 6A power socket. All in all a good buy.
Hi, I am contemplating buying the same model. Can you share your experience with it till date?

Any other Brand/model which can also be considered? Thanks.
Old 13th October 2014, 11:55   #4631
BHPian

Anyone using Croma washing machines?
I saw a Croma front loader for 21k. The SA was pushing this saying it has more features etc. I was leaning for IFB, but hearing of all the service issues LG came into contention since it has a direct drive and 10 year warrenty. I am not really looking for a feature rich one. More of a VFM machine which does the job well.
I am currently using a LG top loader. Want to switch to a front loader since it washes better.
Old 13th October 2014, 12:40   #4632
BANNED

You should be able to get who is the OEM to Chroma.
Old 13th October 2014, 14:19   #4633
BHPian

I am planning to buy an atta kneader.Have checked
http://www.amazon.in/Softel-Aata-KNe...ds=dough+maker
Not sure how good it is?Can anybody advise?
Old 13th October 2014, 16:19   #4634
Senior - BHPian

After going through numerous pages here, I figured that LG has a decent after sales service for its washing machines so checked their website and figured that F1091MDL2 is an ok model.

Any comments on whether to go ahead with this or not? Particularly the negatives of this model.
Old 13th October 2014, 17:58   #4635
Senior - BHPian

I am looking for single door fridge for parents. Currently we have a 165 liters LG fridge but it is short of space for our usage. recently it has started malfunctioning, it stops functioning once in a while.

Capacity should be around 230-250 liters and preferably single door since we dont use freezer much. So double door is ruled out. Any brand/model suggestions please.

Most Viewed