Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2014, 12:08   #4651
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Dear All,

I am planning to acquire a RO+UV water purifier. Out of Aquaguard and KENT which one is good.

Are there any other alternatives ?
Old 15th October 2014, 12:17   #4652
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Dear All,

I am planning to acquire a RO+UV water purifier. Out of Aquaguard and KENT which one is good.

I think they are pretty much same, esp. if you look utility wise. Choose the one which has a better service reputation in your area.
Old 15th October 2014, 12:58   #4653
BANNED

Quote:
Dear All,

ZeroB (Ion Exchange) is also excellent but RO + Iodine (UV not sure). Also, the new boys LG, HUL etc. If you go independent for service then you will learn that all use the same membranes etc.
Old 15th October 2014, 14:33   #4654
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dear All,

Kent has an excellent reputation primarily in NCR where the company has its own service staff.

Here in chennai the service quality is just okay. You have no one to really shout on to get things done if things screw up.

AFAIK the situation in Pune is the same -do check.

Without a company AMC, you can get badly shafted on some of their replacements (In nov 2011, we had 3300 worth of repairs on a 14k piece bought in Jun 2010). We bought the AMC and except consumables nothing has happened since !
Old 15th October 2014, 14:44   #4655
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
ZeroB (Ion Exchange) is also excellent but RO + Iodine (UV not sure). Also, the new boys LG, HUL etc. If you go independent for service then you will learn that all use the same membranes etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Kent has an excellent reputation primarily in NCR where the company has its own service staff.

Here in chennai the service quality is just okay. You have no one to really shout on to get things done if things screw up.

AFAIK the situation in Pune is the same -do check.

Without a company AMC, you can get badly shafted on some of their replacements (In nov 2011, we had 3300 worth of repairs on a 14k piece bought in Jun 2010). We bought the AMC and except consumables nothing has happened since !
Thank you all for the suggestions.
I met the aqua guard rep today. He said the service center is very near to my home.
I am not sure about the service coverage of Kent in Pune.

Will also check LG.

Can you please let me know the cost of AMC for kent/aqua guard ?
Old 15th October 2014, 14:49   #4656
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you all for the suggestions.
I met the aqua guard rep today. He said the service center is very near to my home.
I am not sure about the service coverage of Kent in Pune.

Will also check LG.

Can you please let me know the cost of AMC for kent/aqua guard ?
Company owned service center?

Kent was 1800 rs from nov2012-13 (calendar year basis when you buy it). it was invalid from july when we came to chennai. it was valid only in NCR. We used to get a free service done every 4-6 months as part of the package.

Here there's no AMC. its a flat 500rs/visit by the technician. There are some 20 service centers / agencies for Kent here but each is independent, no company control.

Try to buy AMCs etc at the company service center only btw. I know one Glen and one Kent owner in Delhi where the repairman wearing a company badge gave them a fake AMC slip. So basically he pocketed the money, did the free services, but the moment there was a breakdown, company did not cover since they had not taken AMC as per them!!
Old 15th October 2014, 14:53   #4657
BANNED

I had a similar experience with Aquaguard. Have been with independents ever since.
Old 16th October 2014, 12:33   #4658
Senior - BHPian

It is strange that Direct Drive WM should vibrate. Their USP was zero vibration.
Old 16th October 2014, 12:40   #4659
Senior - BHPian

While I had almost finalized the LG 6 kg washing machine, today I had a discussion with two of my female colleagues in office who swear by IFB.

I checked out the IFB website and the highest 6 kg model they have tops out at 27k.

I'm surprised because IFB is supposed to have the best washing machines, aren't they? Then how are they priced so low compared to LG washing machines?

Last edited by fine69 : 16th October 2014 at 12:43.
Old 16th October 2014, 12:52   #4660
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
While I had almost finalized the LG 6 kg washing machine, today I had a discussion with two of my female colleagues in office who swear by IFB.

I checked out the IFB website and the highest 6 kg model they have tops out at 27k.

I'm surprised because IFB is supposed to have the best washing machines, aren't they? Then how are they priced so low compared to LG washing machines?
IFB you are seeing are not direct drive, nor do they have a 10 year warranty on the motor. That reduces costs a lot. And most probably they are still using the older electro mechanical controller, while their higher end models and LG use full electronic controls.
Old 16th October 2014, 13:12   #4661
BANNED

Once you have direct drive inverter is technically probably mandatory. I feel that DD + Inverter is totally a new game, rendering the old designs to the junk heap.
Old 16th October 2014, 13:14   #4662
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
IFB you are seeing are not direct drive, nor do they have a 10 year warranty on the motor. That reduces costs a lot. And most probably they are still using the older electro mechanical controller, while their higher end models and LG use full electronic controls.
You are right. IFB models don't work on inverter technology. Does it mean LG washing machines are the best in the market right now?

I just want to be sure before I make the purchase this weekend.
Old 16th October 2014, 13:39   #4663
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
And most probably they are still using the older electro mechanical controller, while their higher end models and LG use full electronic controls.
In fact, the older electro-mechanical controllers are more robust than electronic cards. They might be slightly 'unfashionable or un-modern' to use, but they are more resistant to electrical abuses like fluctuations, etc.
Old 16th October 2014, 14:05   #4664
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
I just want to be sure before I make the purchase this weekend.
Do consider Bosch/Siemens’ front loaders.

I have a Bosch 5.5 kg at home which was purchased 2 years back (for Rs. 25k) when Bosch had introduced the washing machine lineup in India. The machines are imported (we don’t have a BSH factory in India yet; mine was Made in Turkey IIRC). Excellent build quality (the paint finish specifically; haven’t observed rusting anywhere so far + we live in a coastal area), top notch wash results (we don’t pre-scrub the shirt collars and cuffs), permits last minute addition of laundry (before the rinse cycles begin), resumes the washing cycle after a power cut from where it had left off, NVH () during spin cycles are on the lower side compared to the decade old IFB we have at home (which hasn’t given up yet btw).

This has to be one of the best appliance investment we have made in a long time! The maid was also relieved she didn’t have to bend and do all the washing in a small bathroom anymore.
Old 16th October 2014, 20:50   #4665
Senior - BHPian

IFB is Bosch design. We had one for more than 10 years. The advantages of IFB are
. Electromechanical control means that the washing machine re-starts where it was when power goes and comes back. Our LG does not.
. Electromechanical controller is robust enough to weather voltage fluctuations, electronic controller is not.
. IFB has a drum capacity at least 50% more than 6KG LG. We could wash medium sized durries in IFB but not in LG. For that you need 8kg machine.
. The IFB service in Delhi is very prompt and good and parts available easily, so repairs never took more than one visit. For LG, though we have not had any problems in two years, I believe the circuit boards take time if they are exhausted.

The down side are
. The drum motor is not direct drive, but belt drive. That results in more vibration.
. LG motor is warranted for 10 years,IFB is much less. In out 10+ years we change 3 motors.
. Electronic controller results in the wash cycle that is tuned to the load. So a load of cottons varies from 1 hour to 2 hours. In IFB it is fixed.
. The IFB has a ballast stone below the top tray. That gives rise to a lot of problems and vibrations.
. LG with direct drive is super silent. You have to strain to hear it when it is running. Even at 1200 RPM spin it is just a whisper. IFB would let every one know that it is working.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks