Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2014, 00:06   #4666
BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Nice comparison Aroy.

Would like to add on it. I bought a Bosch 6kg Front Loading Washing Machine around a month ago (WAX16161IN)
The water consumption is one of the lowest I have seen. In fact you wont see the water churning around. A full load of cloths use around 35lt of water to wash for daily mix load, which includes one Wash and two rinse cycles. A full load of cotton with pre-wash cycle uses around 55ltrs. The washing powder consumption has also gone down to half the quantity of what is recommended on the pack.
As per the manual, even the power consumption is pretty low.

If you look at decibels, then LG is the quietest one. When it comes to overall vibration, Bosch does a far better job. I keep a tray on top of machine containing a box for washing powder and a tall fabric conditioner bottle. Even during the spin cycle the bottle only has a mild shaking.

Here is a photo from the user manual.
The Home Appliance thread-20140825-14.29.05.jpg

Last edited by HillMan : 17th October 2014 at 00:07.
Old 17th October 2014, 01:45   #4667
Distinguished - BHPian

All this is making me mourn my Bosch!

Absolutely no problems at all, even in India, until a rat got into it and got fried on the controller board.
Old 17th October 2014, 18:08   #4668
BHPian

Update:
M Seal used to seal the corroded hole came off after couple of days of use.
We are a small family of two and veggies, our needs were: Reheating,boiling of vegs and preparing soup/oats porridge.Hence decided to order a basic Solo MW based on suggestions from fellow TBHPians
Ordered LG MS2021CW 20 L Solo Microwave Oven(White) from Flipkart @ Rs 4999?=
with free shipping.(Amazon had listed it @ Rs 6100).
Obviously it has no fancy features like Grill,Convection etc and no membrane keypad.
Just two knobs for Power and Time setting.This is adequate.

Last edited by virgopal : 17th October 2014 at 18:09. Reason: correction
Old 17th October 2014, 19:19   #4669
BANNED

@virgopal; The first uWave we owned was a 800W Sharp which I got from HongKong. It was like the one you have now. It worked for well over a decade, until my wife caught the safety interlock caught in her bangles and broke it. I again managed to keep it going for a few months with Superglue, but finally gave up. I replaced it with an LG with IR grill around 1990. Still have it. We are also Veg, and I use the grill for cheese toast, papad roasting, etc. in addition to heating. My wife uses it (in conjunction with the gas flame to pre roasta bit) for roasting Brinjals for Bharta. It has also been used with limited success to make ghee out of old malai.
Old 19th October 2014, 20:38   #4670
BHPian

There's a problem with the spin tub on our semi-automatic washing machine. More often than not, the spin tub refuses to spin. During these occasions, if I try to manually spin the tub, it won't budge in the direction of spin (clockwise), but will happily spin counter-clockwise.

Anyone know what is up with the spin tub?
Old 19th October 2014, 21:33   #4671
Distinguished - BHPian

Suggestions, please :

1. Regular size refrigerator.
Samsung 190L ?

2. Washing machine:
* LG iSense top loading automatic with 10 yrs wty for motor - 19k. This one uses water & electricity based on load. A small load will be done in 19 minutes.

* LG front loading @ 34k

Can we go with these ? or any other options ?
The load in the washing machine will not be much. Expecting to use the machine once in 2-3 days
Old 20th October 2014, 08:09   #4672
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Suggestions, please :

1. Regular size refrigerator.
Samsung 190L ?
Single door will be better organised.

Quote:
2. Washing machine:
* LG iSense top loading automatic with 10 yrs wty for motor - 19k. This one uses water & electricity based on load. A small load will be done in 19 minutes.

* LG front loading @ 34k
My choice is front loading any day. Lower water usage. Don't fall for gizmos with too many options. You will probably settle down to one option for your daily use.
There is not how much difference between 800 and 1000 rpm, 1200 dries better.
A bucket full of mixed laundry is around 2.5 kgs. You will need heavy machines for occasional blankets and better build quality.
Old 20th October 2014, 08:44   #4673
Distinguished - BHPian

@Hillman, thanks

Refrigerator - the question was about which brand / model. It will be a single-door, considering the requirements

Washing Machine - cost is also a consideration. Both items are for someone is now retired. I am kind of not sure if I should suggest the front loading LG, when I can get the decent-looking top loading LG at 15k less, with a 10 year wty on the motor.

one other concern /question:
I was told that the top-loading models are often susceptible to water seepage onto the PCB's. (though our 10 yr old BPL has been holding good on that front)
Old 20th October 2014, 11:07   #4674
BHPian

Guys,
Need your help. My son is Asthmatic and I am looking at a good vacuum cleaner so that brooming and mopping is done away with (which is causing more harm than good). I loved the rainbow cleaning system using water ( http://rainbowsystem.com ), but at 1.32 lakhs it insanely priced and I am not sold at that price point.

I am looking for a cleaner which will suck pet hair, dust, mites, etc and will not throw it back!!!

I came across Karcher system similar to Rainbow, which uses a combination of Water + HEPA and thought this will be good. Any one has any suggestions

http://www.karcher.com/int/Products/...r/11952100.htm

Last edited by madbullram : 20th October 2014 at 11:16.
Old 20th October 2014, 11:14   #4675
Max
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
I checked out the IFB website and the highest 6 kg model they have tops out at 27k
Do not buy IFB washing machine, they will give you run around of your life. I had their washing machine till 2 days ago. Their washing machine brakes down regularly and their after sales service is not only pathetic but complete scam, designed to squeeze out money from customers. I am going to post my experience after day or two in details.
Old 20th October 2014, 12:44   #4676
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@Hillman, thanks

Refrigerator - the question was about which brand / model. It will be a single-door, considering the requirements
Samsung and LG are good. I've had LG single door before I picked up Samsung double door. Somehow I am not a fan of Samsung. The double door display panel had to be replaced within warranty because it started showing half digits. They seem to have serious Quality control issues. Within the family we have had bad experiences with their cell phones, LED and washing machine too.
Their bleeding edge technologies literally become so.

I still miss the Kelvinator silence. We used to own a 165lt a while back. That one gave us trouble free and maintenance free service for about 15yrs. You had to touch it to feel the vibration to know the thing is On.

Quote:
Washing Machine - cost is also a consideration. Both items are for someone is now retired.
Top loading has convenience for senior citizens. They don't need to bend down to load and unload. Also detergent cost is lower.

But then front loaders have built in heater and gives better wash quality. You dont have to go for a 30K budget. Even a 5.5kg direct drive is good to go. 800-1000rmp spin will give decent dryness and lesser crumpled cloths.
Old 20th October 2014, 14:12   #4677
Senior - BHPian

The convenience for top load is limited to dropping the clothes in. To take the laundry out one has to literally bend over to pull the heavy wet clothes.

Whirlpool top loaders depending on the model offer either a hot water inlet or a built in heater option. The 'Bloom' model is virtually a front loader when one looks at the features it offers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillMan View Post
Top loading has convenience for senior citizens. They don't need to bend down to load and unload. Also detergent cost is lower.

But then front loaders have built in heater and gives better wash quality. You dont have to go for a 30K budget. Even a 5.5kg direct drive is good to go. 800-1000rmp spin will give decent dryness and lesser crumpled cloths.
Old 20th October 2014, 14:32   #4678
BHPian

What does the washing machine capacity mean? Lets say a 6kg washing m/c means 6kg of clothes can be washed or the 6kg includes the weight of the water also.
Old 20th October 2014, 15:25   #4679
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ::CMS:: View Post
What does the washing machine capacity mean? Lets say a 6kg washing m/c means 6kg of clothes can be washed or the 6kg includes the weight of the water also.
It is 6Kg dry cloths max capacity. Also check the loading capacity for various wash cycles.

Like in Bosch 6Kg machine. The dry weight of cloths are different for various cycles. Quick 15mins takes 2Kg, Woolen is 2Kg, Mix 3Kg, Cotton 6kg etc.

A bucket full of Mix cloths will be around 2.5 to 3Kgs which is good for one load. Which works out to around 3/4th of my drum.
Old 20th October 2014, 15:30   #4680
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillMan View Post
It is 6Kg dry cloths max capacity.
Even I though its the same. But yesterday I tried to put 4kgs of cloths (weighed manually) in a 6.2kg top loading m/c and it filled the drum and while washing, its not able to make enough turbulence inside the tub to wash properly. To my surprise, 2 buckets of cloths weights only 1.5-1.6kgs.

Last edited by ::CMS:: : 20th October 2014 at 15:32.

Most Viewed