Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2014, 14:59   #4786
BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMind View Post
Can you let us know where you bought it and what its called ? So we can try it out.
Picked it up in Trichy. Made to order only. Can pick up some when I go there, if you are interested.
Old 18th November 2014, 15:26   #4787
BHPian

Hope this one is not off topic. (mods may please delete if they feel so).
I have Jaguar chrome fittings in the bathroom which have become stained due to hard water deposits. I have been using soft cloth with soap solution for cleaning, but now there are some stubborn spots which just refuse to go away.
Though the most commonly suggested method is to use vinegar, but I dont want to take any risk and damage the very high quality polish.
Any suggestions?
Old 18th November 2014, 16:03   #4788
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmrsm View Post
I believe it is made of the waste blade used as part of the hack saw blade for cutting timber in the saw mills. It cuts like a dream, once sharpened lasts for a long time and doesn't rust.
A good knife is forged.

pieces of bandsaw blade? weird! But hey, if it works...
Old 18th November 2014, 16:03   #4789
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anuragn View Post
Hope this one is not off topic. (mods may please delete if they feel so).
I have Jaguar chrome fittings in the bathroom which have become stained due to hard water deposits. I have been using soft cloth with soap solution for cleaning, but now there are some stubborn spots which just refuse to go away.
Though the most commonly suggested method is to use vinegar, but I dont want to take any risk and damage the very high quality polish.
Any suggestions?
White harpic, the one with bleach, or yellow one.
Apply and scrub with scotch pad,the green one.
Good as new.
Old 18th November 2014, 16:52   #4790
BHPian

Quote:
I have Jaguar chrome fittings in the bathroom which have become stained due to hard water deposits.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Good as new.
Agree with Harpic. You can use the blue one as well. Don't apply it and leave if for a long time. Apply, wait for about a minute, scrub using a nylon brush or an old tooth brush, clean with good water, wipe dry. Don't use a scotch pad as they leave scratches. Powdered chalk also helps.
Old 18th November 2014, 17:06   #4791
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Good as new.
Harpic is acid. How safe will it be?
And green scrub pad is an absolute no-no. The chrome fittings have a mirror finish and would immediately get scratched.
Old 18th November 2014, 17:22   #4792
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
And green scrub pad is an absolute no-no. The chrome fittings have a mirror finish and would immediately get scratched.
Oho,scotch brite pad, the one used for utensils!
Old 18th November 2014, 17:22   #4793
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmrsm View Post
Agree with Harpic. You can use the blue one as well.
I find Blue the best
Quote:
It is mildly acidic, so you can use it safely.
In fact I learnt about this from Jaguar people who used it for the wire gauze in the taps.

Last edited by sgiitk : 18th November 2014 at 17:24.
Old 18th November 2014, 18:10   #4794
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
A good knife is forged.

pieces of bandsaw blade? weird! But hey, if it works...
Yes, its pretty effective and its the most preferred one in the hotels (esp in my part of kerala), even its being made by a small company in kerala as a branded product which is available in the local market. The main attraction for the professionals is that the sharpness lasts a lot than the normal knives and are very cheap.

Last edited by ::CMS:: : 18th November 2014 at 18:12.
Old 19th November 2014, 14:09   #4795
BHPian

Quote:
Any suggestions?
If you have concern with Hapric, try BRASSO. Its a metal polisher for same purpose. You get this in Hardware store, also in Home Town. This will make you tap like brand new! It also leaves little wax. Usually shine last a month.
Old 19th November 2014, 14:32   #4796
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ::CMS:: View Post
Yes, its pretty effective and its the most preferred one in the hotels (esp in my part of kerala), even its being made by a small company in kerala as a branded product which is available in the local market. The main attraction for the professionals is that the sharpness lasts a lot than the normal knives and are very cheap.
Can you please post the brand name? Will try to pick this up. The blacksmith at my dad's place used to makes knives from the broken plows of tractor tiller - they where really good.

I have more than a passing interest in knives and have tried many Japanese and German knives ( stainless steel, molybdenum and vanadium mix, ceramic knives etc) but one brand I have found very good is Kai Komachi pure 2 - have been using them for over a year regularly and they still cut like a dream. Have not sharpened them till now, but still have good edge and is sharp as on the day one.
(PS: They look really good on my magnetic knife holder )

--Anoop
Old 19th November 2014, 14:55   #4797
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaguHolla View Post
If you have concern with Hapric, try BRASSO. Its a metal polisher for same purpose. You get this in Hardware store, also in Home Town. This will make you tap like brand new! It also leaves little wax. Usually shine last a month.
I know Brasso. Been using it on brass show pieces but was apprehensive about using it on chrome finishes. Will give it a try at some inconspicuous portion.
By the way, today morning I tried Harpic at a small portion and got satisfactory result but I feel Brasso should be milder.
Old 19th November 2014, 16:35   #4798
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I know Brasso. Been using it on brass show pieces but was apprehensive about using it on chrome finishes. Will give it a try at some inconspicuous portion.
By the way, today morning I tried Harpic at a small portion and got satisfactory result but I feel Brasso should be milder.
I have been using vinegar on my Jaquer fittings for years and the results have been satisfactory. No loss of shine.

--Anoop
Old 22nd November 2014, 20:43   #4799
BHPian

Any induction stoves out there that don't "pulse". Very irritated with our Philips cooktop that pulses so we can never properly simmer!!
Old 22nd November 2014, 23:07   #4800
BHPian

Philips Lighting - Great Experience

Friends
I just wanted to share a good experience I had with Philips Lighting.
I have bought around 10 Tube Light fittings (28W slim ones) from BVK Iyengar Road Manohar Electrical Shop. As usual the shop did not provide bill (as usual practice) and I also forgot to insist and get one with the day long shopping I was doing on that day.

Out of the 10, 1 did not work. Gone to the same shop and told them this is the issue, they replaced with a new one without any questions. Now out of the remaining 9, 1 more had started giving problem after 2 months and now I called 1800 number. They promptly attended the call and given me a mobile number who is their Quality dept guy. Called him, it was on a saturday and the gentleman patiently heard my issue and informed me that it is a holiday for him and will check on Monday.

After 3 hours I got a call from one other guy from Philips who has been informed by the Quality dept gentleman whom I have spoken. This guy had listened to me and asked me to go to same shop and asked me to give him a call. I went there and told the issue, the shop guy got it replaced without any questions.

I did not required to call the philips guy at all. On Sunday night messaged me asking whether i got a replacement which I did not see till Monday morning when he called me asking whether i got a replacement.

I am amazed with Philips care for a customer who has just called their customer care with a problem. Typicallly we have to go behind the companies with ticket id for a resolution, here Philips has taken it so seriously and I am continuoulsy on their prioirty list to ensure my problem is sovled which is also a value of 500 Rs.

Really a positive experience and glad being a customer of Philips which is beyond my expectation

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks