Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2014, 10:19   #4816
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Home Appliance thread

We are planning to relocate to a place about 50 km from the current residence. The split AC was promptly dismantled by the Panasonic technicians (although they charged Rs. 750 for it!) but the Bosch front loader washing machine has some transit bolts at the rear of the machine.

When I asked Bosch, they said they would be charging Rs. 800 odd which seemed like a very high quote just to fix 4 bolts! I am thinking of doing this myself instead. IINM, these transit bolts lock the drum inside. Is there a problem if we were to leave the drum without using these transit bolts? It’s a short distance of 50 km and the roads are smooth.
Old 27th November 2014, 10:36   #4817
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
When I asked Bosch, they said they would be charging Rs. 800 odd which seemed like a very high quote just to fix 4 bolts! I am thinking of doing this myself instead. IINM, these transit bolts lock the drum inside. Is there a problem if we were to leave the drum without using these transit bolts? It’s a short distance of 50 km and the roads are smooth.
Please do not move the machine without the transit bolts in place. I made that mistake twice. Once, the machine survived, but the next time, we had to pay for a new motor because the banging of motor spindle around destroyed it.

The transit bolts hold the drum in place which in turns locks the suspension system which also holds the motor. If you have the transit bolts with you, it should be an easy job. Whenever the need arises, I put on the transit bolts on my IFB myself. At the most, you may need to take off the top panel so as to align the bolts properly in the grooves on the drum. It is quite an easy job and for a DIY person like you, it should be a piece of cake!

Regards.
Old 27th November 2014, 10:40   #4818
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Please do not move the machine without the transit bolts in place. I made that mistake twice. Once, the machine survived, but the next time, we had to pay for a new motor because the banging of motor spindle around destroyed it.
Phew! Thanks for that Saket. I’ve got the information from Bosch’s manual.

I faintly recall during the installation, the Bosch technician getting behind the machine and after a while, he handed over the bolts with the spacers. I had no clue what those were but read up and found out they were transit bolts. Shall fix them this weekend.
Old 27th November 2014, 14:35   #4819
BHPian

Re: Soundbar anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmplog View Post
I am not sure whether this is a right place to ask this question. But, I will anyway!

Do you have a soundbar at home? If yes, which one? what is your feedback about that product? What are the considerations I should have before I buy one?

My requirements are simple. I would like it to be portable, Bluetooth enabled and should have a distortion free sound (prefably around 20W+). I can shell out around 15K (+ 2K stretched). Main purpose is to listen to room-filling music and watch Movies.
http://www.hifimart.com/wharfedale-v...-soundbar.html

Check this , has got very good reviews.
Old 28th November 2014, 20:06   #4820
BHPian

Samsung Frost Free Regrigerator Problem

I have a 6 year old Samsung Double door, 230L , Frost free refrigertor. out of warranty. Was all fine till april 2014, but then suddenly the issue started :

Fridge compressor switches off suddenly , and then fails to restart after some time. It remains off for even 6-8 hours and never starts, with just a 'Tak Tak' noise being heard at certain intervals from the back side [ indicates some relay clicks ]. called 1 locl repair guy, he said compressor failed, and need to replace. I asked him then , how come it starts then after some time - he has no answer and left with his visit fee.
Then I Called the samsung folks and they replaced a few parts like relay/timer, the thermostat . Problem resolved till Oct 2014 ...7 months.

again, the same problem started. so, what i do is , after that tik tak sound starts , i see that the compressor is very hot. so i switch the main power off , allow it to cool for 3 hours. After that , if i switch on main power, it starts and cools perfectly as if nothing has happened. This saga goes on now every 10 hours

I googled a lot in internet and saw a suggestion that, this may be due to a capacitor/ condenser problem. That component is unable to hold the charge sufficiant enough to restart the hot compressor . So, will getting that changed resolve the issue?

Pls suggest possible solutions / causes so that chance of getting cheated by the samsung repair folks is less
Old 29th November 2014, 00:40   #4821
Senior - BHPian

Re: Samsung Frost Free Regrigerator Problem

That is being unfair to Samsung. They did resolve the issue, agreed it's only seven months but then they do not have a say in the quality of the components being sourced. Best bet would be to call on them yet again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazing View Post

Pls suggest possible solutions / causes so that chance of getting cheated by the samsung repair folks is less
Old 2nd December 2014, 15:26   #4822
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Shall fix them this weekend.
Update:

Fixed the transit bolts, relocated to our new residence, installed the machine after leveling it and removed the bolts. Also did a test run and it worked beautifully.

Installing the transit bolts were very easy. We had to remove a back plate at the rear of the machine which was secured using 3 Torx screws. Removed it, inserted the bolts from the rear while the plastic spacers had to go inside, tightened the bolts using a ring spanner, replaced the back plate.
Old 2nd December 2014, 20:07   #4823
BHPian

Hi,

We got this (Ivory color) one from a brick & mortar store and have had 3 replaced (even before installation) so far for defective pieces(1)/ being-refurbished units(2).

Has anyone here had bad experiences with AO smith water heaters, or does anyone know if is there some thing to do with the quality of the ivory colored ABS plastic of AO SMITH?

Regards.
Old 5th December 2014, 15:01   #4824
Senior - BHPian

My wife is demanding that we get a room heater.
In my dreams I never imagined that I would need to buy one, living in Pune.

Now, I need help from the team here to suggest some models.
I don't know what to look for, except that the heater should be efficient.
I would prefer if a 5 Amps socket can be used, since I don't have 15 Amps near the bed where this needs to be placed.
I also wonder if there is some 'sleep' mode where the heater automatically turns off after few hours (and has some thermostat control in place).

Last edited by S_U_N : 5th December 2014 at 15:15.
Old 10th December 2014, 12:30   #4825
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys,

Any recommendation for Induction Cooktop? Do they cook in lower time and can they serve as a replacement for LPG stoves?
Old 10th December 2014, 13:05   #4826
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
Hey guys,

Any recommendation for Induction Cooktop? Do they cook in lower time and can they serve as a replacement for LPG stoves?

Hi, Induction is definitely faster to cook but it needs sometime to get used to its timing, adjustments etc.. special utensil with flat bottom is needed for cooking. A friend of mine cooks only on induction, we use it occasionally when we run out of lpg as we find lpg stove with 3 burners convenient.

I recently saw a device in market with two inductions together which is helpful to cook multiple dishes at a time.
Old 10th December 2014, 21:54   #4827
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
My wife is demanding that we get a room heater.
In my dreams I never imagined that I would need to buy one, living in Pune.

Now, I need help from the team here to suggest some models.
I don't know what to look for, except that the heater should be efficient.
I would prefer if a 5 Amps socket can be used, since I don't have 15 Amps near the bed where this needs to be placed.
I also wonder if there is some 'sleep' mode where the heater automatically turns off after few hours (and has some thermostat control in place).
I think 5 Amps will be riskier as these heaters will require high voltage.
I have got an oil heater after reading the cons of coil heater that it dries up the air.

The performance is just ok may be due to we have an extension box running from Kitchen to Bedroom as I also dont have 16Amps socket in bed room
Old 11th December 2014, 10:49   #4828
BHPian

Quote:
Hey guys,

We have been using it for 3 yrs now. Find it really convenient. Only 2 challenges are (a) You need to have induction based utensils. You need to buy tick bottomed pans...as the thinner ones will tend to burn. (b) Reliable power supply.
Induction cooker I have is from TCL brand. However I think these days Prestige, Morphy Richards are good brands.

Regards,
Old 11th December 2014, 10:59   #4829
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amohit View Post
We have been using it for 3 yrs now. Find it really convenient. Only 2 challenges are (a) You need to have induction based utensils. You need to buy tick bottomed pans...as the thinner ones will tend to burn. (b) Reliable power supply.
Induction cooker I have is from TCL brand. However I think these days Prestige, Morphy Richards are good brands.
Regards,
Thanks. Some people claim that it is difficult to cook rice on Induction cooker. How true is that? I think TCL is the best one can get Prestige has bad reviews on Internet, Philips has mixed. Any idea about how much does you Induction cooker contribute to the regular electricity bill?
Old 11th December 2014, 11:05   #4830
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. Some people claim that it is difficult to cook rice on Induction cooker. How true is that? I think TCL is the best one can get Prestige has bad reviews on Internet, Philips has mixed. Any idea about how much does you Induction cooker contribute to the regular electricity bill?
We cook rice...in pressure cooker 2-3 times a week. You can cook in open pan also. As long as you are cooking at <=1000W setting things will be in control. At times when we make tea at max setting and tea starts to boil, if we are not paying attention, it will boil over. After we got induction plate, our usage went up by 15-20 units. Our LPG cylinder that earlier used to last 50-60 days, now go on for 180-200 days.

As long as your electricity bill dosent hit the highest slab, I think its more economical than using LPG.

Prestige, when they started, faced lots of problems. I think they have sorted these out by now (thats what I read somewhere).

Regards,

Most Viewed