Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2015, 15:48   #4861
BANNED

Re: The Home Appliance thread

@hellmet; Looks a lot like a dodgy capacitor. So please get it checked out. If there are two - starting and running than it should be the former.
Old 6th January 2015, 22:00   #4862
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@hellmet; Looks a lot like a dodgy capacitor. So please get it checked out. If there are two - starting and running than it should be the former.
Turns out that the seal has a slow leak that's dripping water on the motor making it go crazy. That explains why it ran when it was dry. The actual seal is OK but it's leaking where it grips the chassis of the washing machine.

Can someone please suggest a good water-proof rubber-plastic adhesive (cum filler) that I can use to plug the gap?

We already replaced the seal and motor a couple of years ago so a bit reluctant to go down the same path so soon.

The Home Appliance thread-img_3544.jpg
The Home Appliance thread-img_20150106_214842.jpg
The Home Appliance thread-20324.jpg
Old 6th January 2015, 23:11   #4863
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
Turns out that the seal has a slow leak that's dripping water on the motor making it go crazy.

Can someone please suggest a good water-proof rubber-plastic adhesive (cum filler) that I can use to plug the gap?
Please get the seal changed ASAP. Running the WM with water dripping on motor is very very risky. I had a Samsung WM that started giving mild shock while running. On checking the seal on the dryer motor was found defective. That was changed but after a year or so the problem recurred. But by we had decided to get fully automatic WM so disposed off the old WM.
Old 6th January 2015, 23:13   #4864
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
Please get the seal changed ASAP. Running the WM with water dripping on motor is very very risky. I had a Samsung WM that started giving mild shock while running. On checking the seal on the dryer motor was found defective. That was changed but after a year or so the problem recurred. But by we had decided to get fully automatic WM so disposed off the old WM.
The seal's good. The gap between the seal and the chassis which was filled with some cheap adhesive by the repairman last time has become brittle. Filling that up should suffice I feel - if that doesn't work I'll replace the seal.
Old 7th January 2015, 10:14   #4865
BANNED

Any silicone based sealant may work nicely. Silicones age well, and are excellent sealants.These are often used to seal around things like bathtubs. See if you can source small quantities or go to your friendly body shop /plumber and get the fag end of tube. Even PU can be used but that tends to harden a bit too much.
Old 7th January 2015, 10:22   #4866
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Any silicone based sealant may work nicely. Silicones age well, and are excellent sealants.These are often used to seal around things like bathtubs. See if you can source small quantities or go to your friendly body shop /plumber and get the fag end of tube. Even PU can be used but that tends to harden a bit too much.
Thank you.

Is a rubber based adhesive such as the Anabond 87X (871,870, etc) series also make sense?

I'll try if I can find Silicone sealant, else I'll have to settle for something else.
Old 7th January 2015, 10:41   #4867
BANNED

Quote:
Is a rubber based adhesive such as the Anabond 87X (871,870, etc) series also make sense?
I could even suggest Fevibond (Latex based) but that is not in the same class.
Old 7th January 2015, 13:57   #4868
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I'll try if I can find Silicone sealant, else I'll have to settle for something else.
Silicone sealants and the applicator (gun) are available at all the local hardware stores. A tube of 300 ml general purpose (GP) sealant costs less than Rs. 200. A gun costs about Rs. 100. Applying is easy, works well and is reliable.

Do inquire.
Old 7th January 2015, 15:20   #4869
Senior - BHPian

Team,

Need some inputs for buying an LPG Stove. Got one three years back and after multiple repairs costing 500 rupees or more, we have finally decided to get rid of it and move forward. The issue could have arisen due to food particles being deposited on the burner multiple times.

Ironically the previous stove served us for 10+ years without any issues which I guess is mainly due to my father taking rigorous steps to clean the burner daily before start of cooking. My parents are aged and hence are not able to give the same attention as before even though they do very little cooking these days.

Coming back to the point, due to space constraints it has to be a two/three hub version. Any inputs on it will be very valuable to me. Looking to finish the deal by this weekend. Looking mostly at Prestige/Butterfly brands. Would also like to know if there is anything specific to be checked with respect to the burners. And if there are any advantages of having a glass top other than ease of cleaning spill overs and aesthetics.
Old 7th January 2015, 15:55   #4870
BHPian

Hi guys,

Wanted to buy two Racold storage water heater(geyser) 10L model. Wanted to know if any bhpians have any discount coupons.
http://www.amazon.in/Racold-10-Water...old+10l+geyser

Mods: Don't know where to put this up. In Home applicances thread or Giveaway thread. Please move it accordingly.

Thanks,
Ramki

Last edited by ramki067 : 7th January 2015 at 15:56.
Old 7th January 2015, 18:59   #4871
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post
Need some inputs for buying an LPG Stove
Bought the brand 'Glen' recently and am satisfied.
I have a friendly local dealer so went with this brand.
I also bought an electric-chimney with Glen.

You can also buy this brand from their online site.
Old 7th January 2015, 19:41   #4872
BHPian

Quote:

Coming back to the point, due to space constraints it has to be a two/three hub version. Any inputs on it will be very valuable to me. Looking to finish the deal by this weekend. Looking mostly at Prestige/Butterfly brands. Would also like to know if there is anything specific to be checked with respect to the burners. And if there are any advantages of having a glass top other than ease of cleaning spill overs and aesthetics.
I purchased an Elica 4 burner hob and fitted legs to use as a stove. We had a 10+ year old Butterfly which was working totally fine but looked very bad
The Elica has 5 gas jets per burner (larger burners) compared to the traditional 1 or 2. It is similar to the one here but in all black. The flame is brilliant and is supposed to guarantee blue flame always. I basically liked the looks and the 5 jet feature and went for it. Been using it for about 6 months now. The automatic starters do not work well due to the plastic that supports the spark generator being pushed out of place by us during cleaning, but it is not a big deal. I surveyed many other models but didnt find anything in this price range with the features offered. Also you gotta negotiate with the dealers. I was able to squeeze out about 18% discount from his first quoted price to what I finally picked it up for.
Old 8th January 2015, 17:19   #4873
Team-BHP Support

Has the Rotimatic been discussed here before?

600 USD is the price (source: Gizmodo). For something that makes just phulka rotis, that looks like a bit steep but if the machine works well without breaking down, it looks like a good investment to me especially bachelors.

Looks like the preorders are all sold out!
Old 9th January 2015, 19:01   #4874
BHPian

An update to the washing machine leak issue.

I looked for Silicone Sealants but found something else for cheaper and equally promising.
I opened the tub up and sealed around the rubber seal (after cleaning it well) using "MSeal SealIT". This sealant comes in small tubes of Rs.50 but it doesn't mention what its based on - the sealant upon drying resembles soft white rubber more or less.

I'll let you know how it holds up after a few days of use.

Thanks everyone for the help!
Old 10th January 2015, 07:39   #4875
BHPian

Quote:
Coming back to the point, due to space constraints it has to be a two/three hub version.
Go for the 3-burner one. The 3rd burner comes in handy during morning rush hours or when you have people over for lunch/dinner.

Quote:
Looking mostly at Prestige/Butterfly brands. Would also like to know if there is anything specific to be checked with respect to the burners.
Using Prestige 3 burner cooktop, stainless steel one,for the past 11years. No problem till date. Easy to disassemble and clean in case of any spills.

Check out the offers in prestigesmartkitchen.com if you are planning to go with Prestige.

Quote:
And if there are any advantages of having a glass top other than ease of cleaning spill overs and aesthetics.
Glass tops look very good and i was tempted to buy many times. But i dont trust myself to handle them carefully during the morning rush.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks