Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2015, 20:02   #4891
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Home Appliance thread

How would you guys rate front load washing machine in 6-7 kg capacity between LG, Siemens, Bosch, IFB or any other worthy competitor in the 40K price bracket.
Old 25th January 2015, 21:39   #4892
BHPian

Thanks for the inputs guys. Looking up at Flipkart,there isnt much difference between Bosch and IFB for their 7 kg models.

I'll go to the market and look at both machines and post updates.

Thanks!
Old 26th January 2015, 11:14   #4893
BANNED

@Sheel; Bosch and Siemens are the same product from the same factory. IFB I will not touch with a bargepole. I have had LGs for well over a decade and have been quite happy with the performance and service. I am now on my second LG. I also have LG Dishwasher, Refrigerator (two) and Microwave.
Old 26th January 2015, 11:46   #4894
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I am now on my second LG. I also have LG Dishwasher, Refrigerator (two) and Microwave.
Thanks

Near our house, we have LG Shoppe, Samsung Plaza & IFB zone. That is why the confusion every time.

LG & Samsung's service are not an issue. Samsung is owned by a close friend though.

Between Samsung & LG, how would rate their dishwasher & microwave?

Going by personal experience, my Whirlpool AC & Refrigerator are going strong & I am fully satisfied by their performance.
Old 26th January 2015, 14:38   #4895
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Thanks

Near our house, we have LG Shoppe, Samsung Plaza & IFB zone. That is why the confusion every time.

LG & Samsung's service are not an issue. Samsung is owned by a close friend though.

I have a Samsung dishwasher and its been working great for the past 2+ years. My wife recently broke the water spray fan, but this was a cheap fix. However, the Samsung support executive in Chennai (there is only one for the whole of Chennai) is a nutcase. I've had issues with him from day 1. For this fan replacement, when he visited our home 2 days after our complaint he claimed it will cost us 3500. Since we hesitated on this large amount, he closed our ticket and told us to follow up with Croma. Croma mentioned since it is breakage, not covered under extended warranty and reverted us back to Samsung support. The same guy again got back to me and told me this time it will cost 2000 + 450 visit charges. Within 5 mins he spoke to my wife and told her it will cost 500 + visit charges. Finally 2 days later he came and replaced it and total cost was 1100 or so - 700 + 280 visit charges. He is the most incompetent and (unfortunately) stupid support person I've come across in my life. This cycle took us about 14-15 days unnecessarily because he started off with a 3500 quote.
Old 26th January 2015, 15:06   #4896
BANNED

Quote:
I bought the uWave with Grill around 1999-2000. Never had an issue. I looked at Samsung also but chose LG since it has an Infrared grill -fast heating (and cooling). LG dishwasher is fine, and dishwasher is a rarity in Kanpur (people prefer the two legged variety!). I think at some point LG stopped the non-steam varieties and the price shot up. They maybe they are back. To me it was LG or Siemens/Bosch or Faber. I had ordered the latter, they did not supply in time, and then a new model came out. This did not have a auto-restart on power failure. The Siemens dealer also checked and told me they did not have it (though later someone on this forum said that they do). So I got the LG and have no regrets. I may add that the flat my son has rented in DLF V in Gurgaon has the kitchen fitted with all LG stuff.
Old 27th January 2015, 10:29   #4897
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
Thanks guys for all your inputs. I don't have solar water heater with me now.

Preferably RACOLD.
Quoting myself, have visited a couple of shops for the water heater. Was interested in buying RACOLD vertical model of 15 l, or 25 l. But most of the dealers say that RACOLD has issues with the coil damage in hard water situations and have been pushing me AO SMITH model.

Is it really bad with RACOLD and hard water combination ?

And any feeback on AO Smith Water heaters.

Will wait for your inputs before jumping the gun.
Old 27th January 2015, 10:53   #4898
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Racold is one of the better brand for geysers. I am using it almost everyday, except for peak summers, for last 2.5 years with no issues whatsoever. Water TDS level in our area is about 450, hence not soft by any standard.

Have not used AO Smith, but as far as I know, this is another reputed brand. Others using AOS may comment on its performance.

Regards.
Old 27th January 2015, 12:17   #4899
BANNED

I have a couple of 35l Racold Eternias going for well over decade. However, 50l models Altro etc. were no good, so then I switched to Venus. Even here the heater has to be replaced every two/three years. Now Venus also does not have copper tanks.
Old 27th January 2015, 15:47   #4900
Distinguished - BHPian

I need a solar water heater. Any recommendations? It must be of the glass tube kind, and it must be for pressurised water system. Also, preferably not more than 100Ltrs capacity: our old one was unnecessarily large

My solar water heater is dead: leaking like a sieve. Why? My theory is that Venus never replaced the sacrificial anode when servicing it. Of course, they are not interested in taking responsibility for that --- and I also take part of the blame because it was always in the back of my mind but I never made them do it.

Mrs G wants to forget about it and install electric heaters. I do not. I really love the luxury of 24-hour hot water and never having to remember to turn anything on or off (except the tap!). I also pointed out that the price of electricity can only rise and that we would have to cut into the tiles/walls to install heaters. I suspect that, by the time that and the re-decoration to make good is done, it might approach the cost of replacing the solar.
Old 27th January 2015, 16:33   #4901
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I need a solar water heater. Any recommendations? It must be of the glass tube kind, and it must be for pressurised water system. Also, preferably not more than 100Ltrs capacity: our old one was unnecessarily large
Two years ago when I was looking for installing Solar water heater which can handle pressure pump, I couldn't find single one of them in ETC type. All are flat plate type.

It may have changed now.

After going through most of SH at that time (Venus, Lots of local names, ORB energy, Tata BP Solar), I went with ORB Energy heater, solely because they had a better SS tank. After using it for two year, I have zero complaint, we have very good heated water even on cloudy days.

I would suggest it anyone who is looking for new system.
Old 27th January 2015, 17:06   #4902
Senior - BHPian

Any product from the two Koreans that is made in Korea will give you years of trouble free service. I have a now nearly 15 year old General Electric fridge made by Samsung for GE in Korea, it still works well. There is also a 10+ year old Samsung microwave, again made in Korea going strong and an approx. 2 year old 8/6 kg capacity washing/drying machine from LG equipped with a direct drive inverter motor and no issues at all. Your friend should be able to help you in selecting the correct models.

Having said the above, if I were buying a new washing machine today I would get one from the Panasonic front loader models that are being progressively launched since last year.

Quote:
Samsung is owned by a close friend though.

AO Smith is the new flavour and it is not a bad one at all. Infact depending on the model that you buy, it is the only water heater that gives you precise control on the water temperature. This is a huge energy saving feature as unlike other brands the thermostat does not become stuck at 75 degree C (default setting for most storage heaters). The tanks are glass lined and the elements too have some coating which is supposed to be able to resist hard water deposits etc. I have a 50L storage (horizontal) model with a wired remote for about 8 odd years and the same functions brilliantly. I would rate it much better than the other assorted Racolds and Thermokings in the house.

Quote:
Quoting myself, have visited a couple of shops for the water heater. Was interested in buying RACOLD vertical model of 15 l, or 25 l. But most of the dealers say that RACOLD has issues with the coil damage in hard water situations and have been pushing me AO SMITH model.

Old 27th January 2015, 17:36   #4903
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaguHolla View Post
Two years ago when I was looking for installing Solar water heater which can handle pressure pump, I couldn't find single one of them in ETC type. All are flat plate type.

It may have changed now.

After going through most of SH at that time (Venus, Lots of local names, ORB energy, Tata BP Solar), I went with ORB Energy heater, solely because they had a better SS tank. After using it for two year, I have zero complaint, we have very good heated water even on cloudy days.

I would suggest it anyone who is looking for new system.
We bought Venus, vacuum tube, pressurised, about seven years ago. We probably won't buy from them again.

Have added ORB to our list for enquiries, thanks. Also have V-Guard, Goodsun and a few others on that list.
Old 27th January 2015, 18:37   #4904
BHPian

I'm Looking for a dishwasher for my house of 4.
I'm in Mumbai so hardwater is not a problem.
Maids are hard to find here and seems the only solution.
Want to keep my budget limited to 35k.
Please suggest.
Old 27th January 2015, 19:49   #4905
BHPian

Serious voltage fluctuation today at our immediate neighborhood. (Pallikaranai at ~7:15 am)

I got 2 moserbaer LED bulbs, 1 tube light and the IFB washing machine getting affected :-(
IFB service is replacing the wiring harness tomorrow for 1700 (discounted to 1100 after I agreed to take a 1 year amc). Essentially a fuse (or similar-round plate shape) has blown, but it comes as full set.

It seems LED bulbs' holder has gone and bulb may/may not be affected.
I tried fitting one of the LED bulbs into another holder, and it did lighten up, but with a woof sound, and the fibre glass got slightly blackened, and still stay lighted up.
The other LED's bottom fibre glass (half globe) thrown out. It can still be fitted back, but there is smoke on the exposed board.(I didnt try switching it on later on a diff holder, like the other)
LEDs were bought through Snapdeal few months back. Not sure of warranty prospects are bright? dont have the print invoice too.

The tubelight emitted some good rounds of white smoke with some sound. But still lightens up. Not sure whether it will blow sooner?

A neighbour's m/w oven stopped working. not sure if fuse alone is gone
Another neighbours motor from the borewell (which was working at that time) is gone

Any comments folks?

Most Viewed