Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2015, 10:42   #5236
BANNED

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
We have two 320liter samsung fridges. Not sure if this is the right approach. Each fridge is consuming a total of 8.5 units a day in summer. I was reading up on the larger inverter fridges and they supposedly consume as low as 330 units (approx) a year!!! That's like at least 5 times more electricity usage if not the straight linear 8 times (8.5x365) comparison. This is about 14k more in electricity bill each year. This has got me thinking...
We have a 450+ size with Inverter. My niece was here and looked at the sticker. They bought a near identical non-inverter model at about the same time. Consumption more than 2x higher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
There is a new LG fridge which they say consumes power equivalent to just 2 CFLs. Guys, any comments on this?
Two CFLs for 24-hours a day is a lot of juice!
Old 6th June 2015, 11:51   #5237
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
They bought a near identical non-inverter model at about the same time. Consumption more than 2x higher.

Sir, any idea of the consumption on your model approximately how many units per year?
Old 6th June 2015, 14:28   #5238
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Two CFLs for 24-hours a day is a lot of juice!
Rather depends on the CFL. I've seen huge ones. Could be five watts or fifty!
Old 6th June 2015, 14:55   #5239
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Sir, any idea of the consumption on your model approximately how many units per year?
I am in the NCR at present, I will check and report back on my return to Kanpur. So please wait! I do remember it is lower than the normal 280l Samsung in my office.
Old 7th June 2015, 12:06   #5240
BANNED

Thinking of buying a Dishwasher. I am also going to be doing a lot of renovation in my kitchen - what do I need to do to prepare my kitchen for a dishwasher. Also I am looking for recommendation on Dishwashers. From google searches, I am looking at a Bosch Dishwasher - but I have no idea about their dealer and support network.
Old 7th June 2015, 12:29   #5241
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Thinking of buying a Dishwasher.

You will need a 15a socket at a height of about 1.5M from the ground, water inlet and water outlet again within about 1.5M distance. We have a samsung, running well now 2.5 years since. We connected to the kitchen sink inlet/outlet. The power chord was quite short and so used a belkin spike to extend it.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 8th June 2015 at 09:00. Reason: Fixing quotes, thanks!
Old 7th June 2015, 16:26   #5242
Senior - BHPian

The temperature control board of my Whirlpool Proton Refrigerator conked off and the technician blames it on voltage fluctuations. The fridge is connected to DG supply. How do I make sure the power supply is proper? Or should I just go for a Voltage Stabilizer?
Old 7th June 2015, 20:15   #5243
BANNED

@Jaguar; I also have a 7.5kVA DG set but have never faced anything like that!!
Old 7th June 2015, 20:21   #5244
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@Jaguar; I also have a 7.5kVA DG set but have never faced anything like that!!
Mine is not a personal DG set but the apartment one. So, not sure if the maintenance is proper.
Old 8th June 2015, 07:16   #5245
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Mine is not a personal DG set but the apartment one. So, not sure if the maintenance is proper.
The bigger the load the better is the quality of power. So I doubt that will be to blame. A UPS may be different. I remember we had a large UPS (I think 300kVA) in the computer centre, which I persuaded them to share with our exchange. It was blowing the power supply, and when I checked there were massive 650V plus spikes. Must have been caused by the SMPS of the computer systems.

Last edited by sgiitk : 8th June 2015 at 07:19.
Old 8th June 2015, 10:27   #5246
BHPian

Quote:
The temperature control board of my Whirlpool Proton Refrigerator conked off and the technician blames it on voltage fluctuations. The fridge is connected to DG supply. How do I make sure the power supply is proper? Or should I just go for a Voltage Stabilizer?
The same temperature control board failed in our whirlpool protton refrigerator as well around 6 months back!

The technician blamed it on voltage fluctuations though it is connected only to mains power through a v-guard stabilizer. I tried to argue with him that it is a manufacturing defect and should be replaced for free but he didn't accept to it!
Old 8th June 2015, 10:31   #5247
BHPian

Guys,

Power cuts are errant in our area which is in somewhat outskirts of the city where even Kaveri water is also not available.
Need to buy an inverter and battery to light up 4 tubelights and 3 fans. Kindly suggest good ones and also the capacity of inverter and battery i need to buy.

Thanks,
Ramki
Old 8th June 2015, 10:46   #5248
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR71-Blackbird View Post
The same temperature control board failed in our whirlpool protton refrigerator as well around 6 months back!

The technician blamed it on voltage fluctuations though it is connected only to mains power through a v-guard stabilizer. I tried to argue with him that it is a manufacturing defect and should be replaced for free but he didn't accept to it!
We now have two Whirlpool refrigerators - 410L and 250L, in both of them the controller blew. I think that electronics is the Achilles Heel of Whirlpool refrigerators, as they are not designed for high voltage fluctuations. The whirlpool technician admitted that it is a common occurrence with Whirlpool and recommended a good stabilizer with spike protection.
Old 8th June 2015, 11:33   #5249
BHPian

How can they blame on voltage fluctuation for their product to conk off unless it is a very high voltage and resulted in lot of other damages?

Ask him to prove that and if it is indeed due to power fluctuations then its the design flaw, how can somebody else than the manufacturer know what kind of power supply is required for the refrigerator to work unless it is mentioned in the manual? In all other cases its their fault to allow the power fluctuation to enter into their board, its supposed to have proper power supply. Ask them to replace under warranty if it is active.

Last edited by ::CMS:: : 8th June 2015 at 11:37.
Old 8th June 2015, 17:42   #5250
Senior - BHPian

Looks like it is a common issue of Whirlpool. Unfortunately for me, the warranty was over and I had to pay for replacement. I guess I'd not invest in a stabilizer for now.

@CMS, strangely enough there is no mention of the required power supply in the manual. I need to check if there is something written behind the fridge near the power cord.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks