Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2015, 18:52   #5356
BHPian

The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodie09 View Post
Looking to buy an OTG for a 5 member family (if that count matters in determining the size).

We purchased a sun flame rotisserie in the largest size they have about 5-6 years backs. Runs very well and use it mainly for pizzas and cakes. We were a family of 6 when it was purchased.
Old 6th August 2015, 23:13   #5357
BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Our water heater keeps tripping almost every time we use it. I checked with a multimeter on 200 Ohm resistance and the element continued to show 1 between the terminals (shorted element). The thermostats showed approx 16 Ohm resistance between their terminals.

Can I replace the element on my water heater / geyser while it is mounted on the wall? Do I drain (and how) the water before unbolting the element?

Last edited by hellmet : 6th August 2015 at 23:14.
Old 7th August 2015, 11:42   #5358
BHPian

Hi,

Our Glasstop built in hob (unknown Chinese make) provided by the builder is not that efficient and has started giving irregular flame. As it does not make sense to service it we plan to chuck it and buy branded ones. Has anyone bought latest set of built in hobs from our Indian manufacturers. The ones from Prestige looks promising. Are they any good?

Asking for built in hob as there is already a hole for fitting the hob now and we cannot have a cooktop hob in its place now.
Old 7th August 2015, 15:36   #5359
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Modern WM have a lot of electronics, so are prone to vagaries of Voltage. The older IFB were purely elecromechanical, but their motor was prone to problems.
Thanks for the response Aroy

So, do you mean to say that IFB's quality is not that great?
What's your opinion on Bosch?
Old 7th August 2015, 17:27   #5360
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy07 View Post
Thanks for the response Aroy

So, do you mean to say that IFB's quality is not that great?
What's your opinion on Bosch?
If you get the older models that have electro mechanical controls, then as long as the mechanical parts hold you will be fine. Just ensure that you have an AMC which covers the motor and the drum.

IFB is Bosch, when they had collaboration. Their newer models are inhouse design. As such I find no USP in Bosch for the amount they charge.

I bought an LG 6.5kg machine, as they had a direct drive motor and 10 years warranty on it. I further went for an extended warranty, so I am covered for at least 10 years for parts and labour.
Old 7th August 2015, 21:41   #5361
Senior - BHPian

For anyone buying a new washing machine, do take a look at the range from Panasonic. They have both the top and the Front loaders and all the possible iterations. Given that they set up a huge greenfield facility in Sonepat for White Goods and this being one of the first products to come out of there, the range should be of good quality.
Old 8th August 2015, 11:57   #5362
BHPian

Our very old Sumeet mixer is not working. It has served well for many many years i don't recollect from when. Now I have to replace it with good sturdy mixer grinder. We use generally for chutney, idli dosa atta etc and during festivals more so. Don't generally need complete food processor.
So which are good options. We stay near Mumbai. A small food processor can also do. Budget 3-5k. But good quality is important. Had cheap local mixer as wedding gift but it lasted onlu 2-3 ywars and quality was also not upto mark.
Kindly suggest.
Old 8th August 2015, 14:02   #5363
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroFuel View Post
Our very old Sumeet mixer is not working. It has served well for many many years i don't recollect from when. Now I have to replace it with good sturdy mixer grinder. We use generally for chutney, idli dosa atta etc and during festivals more so. Don't generally need complete food processor.
So which are good options. We stay near Mumbai. A small food processor can also do. Budget 3-5k. But good quality is important. Had cheap local mixer as wedding gift but it lasted onlu 2-3 ywars and quality was also not upto mark.
Kindly suggest.
Sumeet still runs their old classic model for sale. How about picking that up again?

Is your old mixer beyond repair?
Old 8th August 2015, 16:44   #5364
BHPian

Quote:
Our very old Sumeet mixer is not working.

I purchased Preethi Steele about two years back. It is extremely noisy and the motor is too powerful for the jars. Apparently the company has been replacing all jars free of cost for pieces in warranty and for others they are charging half price. They changed the material of the bushes so it can withstand the power of the motor. However even without a jar fitted it makes a racket enough to wake up the dead.
The Preethi blue is supposedly a good model without the issues seen in the Steele model.
Old 8th August 2015, 19:47   #5365
BHPian

Quote:
Budget 3-5k. But good quality is important. Had cheap local mixer as wedding gift but it lasted onlu 2-3 ywars and quality was also not upto mark.
You could check out the 'simply silent' model of philips(600W) which is at 3.7K or the philips(750W) which retails at 4K in Metro. For the 750W model, a rice cooker comes free.
Old 9th August 2015, 06:49   #5366
BHPian

Quote:
Our very old Sumeet mixer is not working. It has served well for many many years i don't recollect from when. Now I have to replace it with good sturdy mixer grinder. Budget 3-5k. But good quality is important.
Kindly suggest.
We've used Panasonic for the last 12 years and gifted a few. These have excellent reviews and are available on Amazon now for under 4.5k. They are supremely rugged, safe and silent. The 4/5 jar options come with juicer jars and are marginally more expensive. Panasonic MX-AC300S-H 550-Watt 3-Jar Super Mixer Grinder (Grey) https://www.amazon.in/dp/B007PZKMI8/..._GKQXvbQNT33WC
Old 9th August 2015, 20:23   #5367
BHPian

One more vote for Panasonic mixers.

Ours just completed 10yrs. Quite a tough one with almost daily use of grinding masalas and idly/dosa batter.
Old 9th August 2015, 23:34   #5368
BHPian

Are there any table top wet grinders of one liter capacity or less? The dosa/idly batter comes out best in wet grinders. Most of them in the market are, a liter and half or more.
Old 10th August 2015, 17:50   #5369
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Are there any table top wet grinders of one liter capacity or less? The dosa/idly batter comes out best in wet grinders. Most of them in the market are, a liter and half or more.
There are models in Vijayalakshmi and Premier brands with 1L capacity.

No idea of the performance though. Caught my attention solely due to their tiny size

Ultra has a model with 1.25L capacity.
Old 10th August 2015, 18:26   #5370
Senior - BHPian

Guys, a crazy question.

I live in a rented house and the owner isn't good at maintaining stuff and expects me to pay for anything that breaks down. Anyways, what has happened is the fan in the bedroom stopped working suddenly. I turned off the switch and turned it on after some time. Weirdly, it started rotating in the opposite direction - but quite slowly.

What has gone kaput? Something I can replace myself? I have all tools and a folding ladder at home - so reaching it isn't a problem

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks