Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2015, 12:19   #5416
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Could be that the hosiery company has lowered quality control standards. Top loaders are supposed to be gentler on clothes compared to front loaders.
Well, it is not just the banyans. Other inner wears and shirt collars have also taken a hit in the last six- eight months.

I do like that all the detergent is out of the garments, the clothes are 90% dry at the end (boon during the monsoons) and the machine can be set to run with a timer (for early morning).

But that is where the positives end for us.
Old 18th August 2015, 19:27   #5417
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
We have a Keeline Stabilizer that feeds power to one of the ACs in the house. Over the last few months, it has started to buzz when running - almost like a bee. Continuous and annoying. Does this mean a problem (about to blow up OR eating up electricity) or is it just the matter of adding some padding around the mounts to damp the nuisance?

EDIT: It's about 3.5 years old
All transformers resonate a bit when there is load (go near a big transformer and you will hear it buzz).

Normally to contain the buzz, the transformer cores are bolted tight. The transformer may also "buzz annoyingly if the input voltage is very high. Check it. If it is less than 280V it is fine.

If the stabilizer has started annoying buzzing recently, then open it up; after taking the mains and other plugs off; and see if the transformer is touching any thing. Some times a few stray bits and pieces attach them selves. If nothing is touching
. check if the mounts are tight, if not tighten them.
. If there is a metal cover, check if it loose. If so see if you can tighten it.
. If all seems fine, then barring taking the transformer out and checking if the core is tight (and tightening it), there is nothing you can do, except live with it.
Old 21st August 2015, 20:03   #5418
Senior - BHPian

Urgent question.
Need to buy a fully automatic washing machine tomorrow morning for Mom.

Which company is better in this. LG or Samsung?

For a family of four what capacity is best?

Kindly reply ASAP. Thanks.
Old 21st August 2015, 20:08   #5419
Senior - BHPian

Have been using LG top loader for about 4years pretty happy, i think 6.5kgs should be good. the 9kg version top loading machine costs around 30k...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Urgent question.

Which company is better in this. LG or Samsung?

For a family of four what capacity is best?

Kindly reply ASAP. Thanks.
Old 21st August 2015, 20:37   #5420
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Urgent question.

If you have hard water or bore well water then go in for front load. The top load I had was terrible and wouldn't mix the detergent leaving white streaks on dark clothes. Total crap whirlpool which was their top of the line machine when I purchased an 8kg top loader. I purchased a second front loader just for my office clothes and finally junked the whirlpool. I now have two samsung front loaders - 4 years old and 1.5 years old, no issues at all.
Old 21st August 2015, 21:54   #5421
BHPian

HELP! Our refrigerator tripped the circuit breaker today morning so we put the fridge on another circuit and left home. However, the compressor hasn't been running ever since (we just noticed, we weren't home). No cooling at all. The light works and the fan's running. What might be the problem? A week ago, someone in the family left the fridge door ajar for a couple of hour causing condensation all over the fridge. Could that have killed the fridge?
---------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
If the stabilizer has started annoying buzzing recently, then open it up; after taking the mains and other plugs off; and see if the transformer is touching any thing. Some times a few stray bits and pieces attach them selves. If nothing is touching
. check if the mounts are tight, if not tighten them.
. If there is a metal cover, check if it loose. If so see if you can tighten it.
Thanks a bunch. I tightened the transformer mounts from outside the box and that reduced the buzz significantly. I'll open it up some other day and tighten other screws as necessary.
Old 21st August 2015, 22:45   #5422
BANNED

Quote:
A week ago, someone in the family left the fridge door ajar for a couple of hour causing condensation all over the fridge. Could that have killed the fridge?
Has happened a few times with us. No issues, the unit is normal. Only in a frost free it may take a few days for the condensed ice to clear.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 24th August 2015 at 09:51. Reason: Fixed broken quote tag.
Old 22nd August 2015, 09:04   #5423
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Has happened a few times with us. No issues, the unit is normal. Only in a frost free it may take a few days for the condensed ice to clear.
OK. So leaving the door ajar didn't kill it then. Do you know what could trip the breaker? Is it the compressor that tripped it on its way to its deathbed?
Old 22nd August 2015, 10:13   #5424
BANNED

Quote:
OK. So leaving the door ajar didn't kill it then. Do you know what could trip the breaker? Is it the compressor that tripped it on its way to its deathbed?
Tripping has happened once or twice with me, I just reset and ignore it. could be a restart or a voltage fluctuation, or whatever.
Old 22nd August 2015, 12:55   #5425
BHPian

Well, the compressor isn't working. So, I opened up the components and found the overload protector rattling. Opened it up and two parts came falling. Now going out to find a replacement part. Still not sure why the compressor would trip the breaker, though.
Old 22nd August 2015, 13:02   #5426
BHPian

Quote:
Well, the compressor isn't working.

Check the capacitor, when that goes bad the mcb trips and compressor also won't kick in. Happened to my samsung AC and this could be a similar issue for the fridge
Old 23rd August 2015, 13:59   #5427
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
We purchased a sun flame rotisserie in the largest size they have about 5-6 years backs. Runs very well

Just when I say all is well the device goes kaput! The otg tripped out mcb and I opened it up to learn the cable had the insulation melted and it was shorting. Changed the cable and plug myself today with finolex and GM plug. Cost was 140rs nett.The Home Appliance thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1440318532.921741.jpg
The Home Appliance thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1440318550.187116.jpg
Old 24th August 2015, 09:39   #5428
BHPian

Quote:
Well, the compressor isn't working. So, I opened up the components and found the overload protector rattling. Opened it up and two parts came falling. Now going out to find a replacement part. Still not sure why the compressor would trip the breaker, though.
The broken OLP (overload protector) bimetallic strip could have been touching the body momentarily thus shorting the supply to ground - tripping your mcb.

First make sure that the OLP is replaced with the right type suitable for the compressor. Run the fridge to see if there is any issue. If there is, check if the mcb is adequately rated. I have seen 10 A mcbs tripping regularly for no reason when they are asked to supply nearly 10 A for a 1.5 ton AC. There must be adequate room for the mcb to operate effectively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Check the capacitor, when that goes bad the mcb trips and compressor also won't kick in. Happened to my samsung AC and this could be a similar issue for the fridge
Checking capacitors for ACs/Fridges is easier said than done. The normal capacitance meter that comes with your digital meter may not detect insulation failure at normal rated voltage. The only effective way is to substitute. These capacitors are expensive - about a few hundred Rs. It would be cheaper to get a local mechanic who will carry these capacitors in his kit.
Old 24th August 2015, 11:08   #5429
BHPian

Update on my fridge. Bypassing the OLP to the compressor also triggered the MCB to trip. Had a reputed local fridge technician come and check the appliance. He checked and reported a bad compressor. This is the second time the fridge has had a compressor failure and this time it's outta warranty (It's Whirlpool, FYI).

Looking at upto 5K in charges! :(

EDIT: This is turning into a DIY thread Maybe we should open a new DIY thread?

Last edited by hellmet : 24th August 2015 at 11:10.
Old 24th August 2015, 12:21   #5430
BANNED

Quote:
Update on my fridge. Bypassing the OLP to the compressor also triggered the MCB to trip. Had a reputed local fridge technician come and check the appliance. He checked and reported a bad compressor. This is the second time the fridge has had a compressor failure and this time it's outta warranty (It's Whirlpool, FYI).

Looking at upto 5K in charges!
How old is the beastie. My own thumb rule is 10 years is the point where you change rather than fix. So I will say eight years is the tip over point.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks