Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2015, 18:31   #5626
BANNED

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWind View Post
We looked at some refrigerators last weekend. We really liked the Panasonic ones Frost Free (Normal 2 doors). Any idea how the Service is and how the reliability of these over Korean ones?
I know all of them have Inverters but would need your advice on the Compressor coils. I am told by sales person that all of them now have aluminium coils and only Whirlpool still supplies Copper ones which are reliable. So what difference do they make? Should I be going for ones with Copper coils only? Please let me know
Today Al coils are near universal. I remember Voltas Opal (ages ago) had copper, and bombed.

Unless you have a habit of poking around with sharp instruments do not bother. In a frost free that is also ruled out. My son has Panasonic BW415VN1N, two door inverter frost free in a Euro design (ie freezer at the bottom). After some initial hiccups once they changed the card it has worked flawlessly for three plus years, and taken a shift from Manipal to Gurgaon in its stride.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
You are right but paytm still shows incorrect warranty duration for AO Smith models i.e. 6 months.

Please help me narrow down the decision between AO Smith and Racold 25L models:
AO Smith SAS (25L) - 10.2k
AO Smith SDS (25L) - 11k
Raycold Eterno2 (25L) - 10.1k
Raycold Eterno Dg (25L) - 10.8k

Now AO Smith looks expensive w.r.t. the features it provides whereas Raycold Eterno Dg is one of their top models with every possible feature one can ask for in a geyser i.e. timer, remote control, different heating element selection etc. Their warranty is same 2+4+7 years.

AO Smith uses glass coated heating element while Racold uses titanium enamelled.
I have had Racold units for over 30 years, but would prefer AO Smith any day. Copper tanks are history (even Venus has changed). By and large all are Ok as long as you can get spares - heater, thermostat, and security devices.
Old 21st October 2015, 18:58   #5627
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I have had Racold units for over 30 years, but would prefer AO Smith any day. Copper tanks are history (even Venus has changed).
Any specific reason for it? And by copper tanks you mean Racold uses them and AO Smith doesn't?
Old 22nd October 2015, 08:44   #5628
BANNED

Quote:
Any specific reason for it? And by copper tanks you mean Racold uses them and AO Smith doesn't?
Nope. Nobody uses copper tanks. Steel tanks with fibre glass lining are nearly universal now. So now the matter is more on the seams, which are not repairable. Also, high quality insulation is often moulded on so you will not be able to get into the unit. This is the price of progress, and high energy efficiency we pay.
Old 23rd October 2015, 10:55   #5629
Senior - BHPian

Looks like the Finish Dishwasher product website is gone?!
http://www.buyfinishonline.com/

Amazon seems to have their products which is goof though.
Can someone tell me what the difference between these two Finish Rinse Aids is?
http://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B00VHP1ACY/
and
http://www.amazon.in/Finish-Shine-Dr...dp/B00HJ2FOU8/
Old 23rd October 2015, 11:07   #5630
BHPian

The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
Can someone tell me what the difference between these two Finish Rinse Aids is?
The size of the bottle is different. We rarely use this. We run two loads daily and only fill the detergent and the salt. We buy from a local store or online.
Old 23rd October 2015, 12:17   #5631
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
The size of the bottle is different.
It looks like both are 400 ml.
Old 23rd October 2015, 12:49   #5632
BHPian

Quote:
It looks like both are 400 ml.
The first link shows me 440
The Home Appliance thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1445584771.219563.jpg
Old 23rd October 2015, 15:55   #5633
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
The first link shows me as 440
Both are 400 ml, but it looks like the one you linked weighs 10% more. Maybe it's thicker.
Old 23rd October 2015, 16:59   #5634
BHPian

Quote:
Both are 400 ml, but it looks like the one you linked weighs 10% more. Maybe it's thicker.

I clicked your link, not sure...
Old 23rd October 2015, 17:19   #5635
BHPian

Quote:
I need to buy a storage water geyser and wanted to know the brands that I should be looking at. I currently live in a rented accommodation with my wife and the bathroom is pretty small.
Check Venus geysers at an offline store. These are really good.

We are using two CG geysers (15L and 35L capacities) for last 6+ years in New Delhi. No problems whatsoever.

Prior to that it was a Racold with 15L capacity, which had this uncanny habit of delivering cold tap water at start of every winter season! The heating element was pretty allergic to even the slightest of hard water. Got rid of it after some 3-4 years by picking two CGs, and since then it's heaven every morning. Touchwood!
Old 24th October 2015, 07:36   #5636
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by revharder View Post
Check Venus geysers at an offline store. These are really good.
I have a Venus 50l. Unfortunately, the safety fuse has blown three times in about five years. Also, I am told that they have also dropped copper. In any case Venus service in Kanpur has gone to dogs, so no more Venus for me.

Ages ago they used to be branded by Philips.
Old 24th October 2015, 10:23   #5637
BANNED

I had a 15 litre Venus which gave a lot of problems and finally conked off 7 years.
Old 25th October 2015, 19:03   #5638
BANNED

Is there any home test I can do on my fridge to see if the gas is sufficient or needs to be refilled or if the gas line is choked?
Old 25th October 2015, 20:10   #5639
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, the repair guys seem to be able to identify leaks by touch. How do they do that? My guess is that there is lubricant mixed with the coolant, and that is what they feel. Am I right?

The first question for your fridge is, of course, is it cooling?

The first thing to check is probably not the gas, but the door seal. Make sure it is undamaged and flexible all the way around, and do the piece of paper test... Take an inch-wide strip of paper, and check that the door seal grabs it all the way around.

Sometimes, the seal can be fine, but the door has got our of shape. A quick application of engineer's knee in the right place can work wonders. This is all stuff I heard from engineers, over the years, but it's probably all on youtube these days.

My fridge needs new door seals. It's a Liebherr... obscure and brought with me from Europe, and now about 15 years old, A UK parts supplier tells me they are available for about £100. Wondering if it is worth it: Rs.10K goes a long way towards the cost of a small new fridge.
Old 25th October 2015, 20:40   #5640
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

The first question for your fridge is, of course, is it cooling?
It is cooling but I think not as good as before. It's a 10 year old Haier Fridge.
Haier sent a mechanic. The first guy said, it's a setting problem & he adjusted the setting and said it will be fine. But it wasn't. Then a second guy came and said that the gas line is choked and it can fixed by refilling gas. He said he will send another guy to fill the gas. The gas guy came and said filling gas will not help - he said the compressor has burnt off. It cuts off before it reaches the lower temperature it's supposed to reach. And that the compressor needs to be replaced. If the compressor is replaced that will also entail refilling gas. So totally 12K.

So I am totally confused about what to do next.

The door seals etc are fine and the door is also not out of shape. The freezer seems to be cool enough, the lower part seems to be little less cool than it used to be.

Last edited by carboy : 25th October 2015 at 20:50.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks