Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2015, 00:24   #5656
BHPian

Our 5 year old Samsung front load washing machine has started walking during the spin cycle. This has not happened before. I haven't checked the alignment and notice that the walking may have worn out the bottom shoes but it started because of my wife using an extra spin cycle due to the rains. She was trying to get some extra dampness out of the clothes due to the inability to dry the clothes outside.
The Home Appliance thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1446576836.965211.jpgThe Home Appliance thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1446576850.530319.jpg
Old 4th November 2015, 03:00   #5657
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
. I haven't checked the alignment and notice that the walking may have worn out the bottom shoes but it started because of my wife using an extra spin cycle due to the rains.
Do not confuse correlation with causation!

I'm betting that the locknuts on the feet may have come loose, or that the feet may have worn. It just happens to have happened now, or maybe using a faster spin speed might have helped either of those along.

Check the condition of the feet. Get the spirit level and make sure the machine is level. do the locknuts up tight, and check the level again. Try machine

By the way, when it comes to checking behind/under things, a pocket or handbag mirror is very useful. I have kept one handy ever since my job included PC connections under desks. It's good for hifi too.
Old 4th November 2015, 10:55   #5658
BHPian

The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Do not confuse correlation with causation!
I'm betting that the locknuts on the feet may have come loose, or that the feet may have worn.
thanks, I used the spirit level, tilted the machine and adjusted one of the lock nuts on the front. It seems steady and have just asked the missus to load it up. Hopefully it should be okay!
Old 4th November 2015, 11:29   #5659
BHPian

The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Hopefully it should be okay!
Spoke too soon, the machine has shifted and I suppose will need to look at all the 4 lock nuts little better.
However the violent vibrations have stopped as the machine seems to have found a stable position for itself on the floor. It just ran a spin and it was not rocking from side to side like it was doing yesterday.

Last edited by diyguy : 4th November 2015 at 11:34.
Old 4th November 2015, 13:27   #5660
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Spoke too soon, the machine has shifted and I suppose will need to look at all the 4 lock nuts little better.
However the violent vibrations have stopped as the machine seems to have found a stable position for itself on the floor. It just ran a spin and it was not rocking from side to side like it was doing yesterday.
At times an imbalanced load inside the machine may cause violent vibrations. Used to happen once in a while in our IFB. In LG WM, they have load balancing cycle before each spin which ensures practically zero vibrations during spin.
Old 4th November 2015, 14:45   #5661
Team-BHP Support

It may be different mechanism for a front-load (the drum is balanced differently with weights and stuff), but my Samsung top-load developed the same problem a couple year ago, and the issue was narrowed down to the rubber end-bushes used with the suspension springs the drum hangs by. One of the four corner ones had stuck out of position hindering the suspension spring's (vertical) movement, causing it to bump violently against the outer body during rinse/spin cycles.

The technician said these bushes have been removed from newer models altogether as this is a recurring issue, and I've never had the problem since. I also use a move-able stand for my machine as my rented house's floor isn't the flattest surface in the world, and we don't have a permanent spot for the machine either.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 4th November 2015 at 14:47.
Old 4th November 2015, 16:44   #5662
Senior - BHPian

That's not true. Our two year old LG Direct Drive moves around in spin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
At times an imbalanced load inside the machine may cause violent vibrations. Used to happen once in a while in our IFB. In LG WM, they have load balancing cycle before each spin which ensures practically zero vibrations during spin.
Old 4th November 2015, 20:29   #5663
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
That's not true. Our two year old LG Direct Drive moves around in spin.
In principle it is true! those machines at least attempt to balance the load. They may or may not succeed.

My test is to rinse and spin a large cotton bath towel. That is about impossible to balance --- but the machine should cope with it.

Are you another sufferer with a dancing LG machine? I thought I was the only one here that doesn't think that LG washing machines are wonderful. Mine is horrible.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 4th November 2015 at 20:30.
Old 4th November 2015, 20:47   #5664
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Are you another sufferer with a dancing LG machine? I thought I was the only one here that doesn't think that LG washing machines are wonderful. Mine is horrible.
Mine dances around too. But other than the dancing part, I am happy with LG. I still get nightmares thinking about the IFB I had before.
Old 5th November 2015, 10:05   #5665
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In principle it is true! those machines at least attempt to balance the load. They may or may not succeed.

My test is to rinse and spin a large cotton bath towel. That is about impossible to balance --- but the machine should cope with it.

I do not think that deliberate load imbalance (created by one or two large pieces) is catered to, or is even possible to balance. What is possible and happens in my LG at least, is that load consisting of 10+ pieces is distributed evenly.

Another load that is practically impossible to balance is sneakers. We did wash them once in a while in our IFB, but had to pad the load with small towels and other kitchen rags. Even then the machine had a tendency to vibrate at higher RPM.
Old 5th November 2015, 11:38   #5666
BHPian

With the rains in full swing in Chennai am looking for a clothes line that I can install in my service area to lower and lift so the clothes can be out of the way. We do have an indoor drying rack but the wet clothes are piling up.
I found something like http://www.theclotheslinestore.com.a...ceiling-airer/ but seems pricey. Is there anything in our market? Will continue my search but thought will ask.
Old 5th November 2015, 13:06   #5667
BHPian

Quote:
With the rains in full swing in Chennai am looking for a clothes line that I can install in my service area to lower and lift so the clothes can be out of the way. We do have an indoor drying rack but the wet clothes are piling up.
I found something like http://www.theclotheslinestore.com.a...ceiling-airer/ but seems pricey. Is there anything in our market? Will continue my search but thought will ask.
We've used 'PullnDry' - bulky contraption. You can google it. There are similar companies in every city (cost is approx 2000/- depends on the rod length etc).

Don't go for the cradle type (heavy, old type). Go for individual rods that are lowered and lifted individually (smoother, lighter).
Attached Thumbnails
The Home Appliance thread-pullndryindividual.jpeg  

Attached Images

Old 5th November 2015, 13:15   #5668
BHPian

Toaster degreasing solvent??

Question: How do I degrease a toaster, that clearly says - Do not open me up! ?? [Disposable toaster, is what they created]

It is an old Morphy Richards quartz tube toaster. The entire toaster section doesn't have a single screw! Metal sheets have been fitted together by sort of 'weaving' them together. I opened it up and cleaned it best I could and while fitting the pieces back (I did not open it up entirely), I had to twist some metal to lock them in place and one such fastener (if you can call it that), broke; so I'm not going to open it up ever again!

I want to dip the entire toaster in some solvent to remove the grease without damaging the plastic parts (metal is galvanized steel and either stainless steel or chrome plated steel) and the circuit board, springs, soldering and the like.

Any ideas on what could be the solvent here (dissolve grease, nontoxic, non-destructive to the parts)?

Last edited by mvadg : 5th November 2015 at 13:17.
Old 5th November 2015, 14:12   #5669
Distinguished - BHPian

How did you get your toaster greasy?

You're supposed to butter the bread after toasting it, not before!
Old 5th November 2015, 14:24   #5670
BHPian

Quote:
How did you get your toaster greasy?

You're supposed to butter the bread after toasting it, not before!
That may be so, but I love golden buttered toast - no other way to do it but put butter on the bread before toasting. I could use the grill on my MW but that expends too much energy (mine, turning it over and the MW which is so large).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks