Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2016, 08:16   #6001
BHPian

Hi All, I am looking to buy a washing machine for my household having family of 4 adults and a kid. I need the one with the water heater. Not sure which is better overall - top or front loading? Top loading with heater option is available only with whirlpool. While there are couple of different brands that are available in front loading with heater option. My wife is inclined towards top loading due to its convenience of loading clothes even while the machine is running. Budget as less as possible but max is 30k. Require expert opinion please.
Old 31st May 2016, 10:26   #6002
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
We had massive power fluctuations last night. As a result we lost our LG Fridge and Microwave overnight. Both had been bought in 1999 or so. As usual we have never used a stabilizer on any appliance.
We also lost VCR, TV and Refrigerator long time ago, when a lightning surge blew them. The only solution to such high voltage surges is a heavy duty surge protector. As the surges are of high voltage very short duration, no stabilizer can respond fast enough, least of all servo stabilizer.
Old 31st May 2016, 10:28   #6003
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoiledBratt View Post
Hi All, I am looking to buy a washing machine for my household having family of 4 adults and a kid. I need the one with the water heater. Not sure which is better overall - top or front loading? Top loading with heater option is available only with whirlpool. While there are couple of different brands that are available in front loading with heater option. My wife is inclined towards top loading due to its convenience of loading clothes even while the machine is running. Budget as less as possible but max is 30k. Require expert opinion please.
Front loading is much better as it uses less water and cleans better due to tumbling action. We have an LG front load 6.5kg with 1200 RPM spin and 90 degree heater. We wash every thing that can be accommodated - clothes, curtains and light blankets.
Old 31st May 2016, 10:54   #6004
BHPian

Thanks Aroy! How does IFB fair in comparison to other brands in front loading machines?
Old 31st May 2016, 11:24   #6005
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoiledBratt View Post
Thanks Aroy! How does IFB fair in comparison to other brands in front loading machines?
Before LG, we had IFB for more than 10 years. The machine is good, but the service has degenerated and can be termed horrible here in Delhi. In contrast LG service (till now) is excellent.

One thing that you have to be care full of is the amount of clothes that you put in the machine. The optimum is when the tub is half full. That gives ample space to tumble. If you stuff the clothes then they will not get washed properly.
Old 31st May 2016, 11:37   #6006
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Before LG, we had IFB for more than 10 years. The machine is good, but the service has degenerated and can be termed horrible here in Delhi. In contrast LG service (till now) is excellent.

One thing that you have to be care full of is the amount of clothes that you put in the machine. The optimum is when the tub is half full. That gives ample space to tumble. If you stuff the clothes then they will not get washed properly.
Great. Thanks again Aroy! It is much helpful. We have got 1 fully automatic top loading LG fuzzy logic machine which is more than 10 years old now and still running fine. LG service has been good but every time technician visits they charge a bomb giving one or the other reasons. And hence just thought to move to try a new brand. I am also in Delhi and will start my research with Chroma. Any specific model you recommend in LG or IFB.
Old 31st May 2016, 11:50   #6007
BHPian

Quote:
The only solution to such high voltage surges is a heavy duty surge protector.

Sirji, Can you kindly educate on the HEAVY DUTY Ones ?
Old 31st May 2016, 13:36   #6008
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I do not use stabilizers as a policy
I have concerns about them too, chiefly, the possibility that, when a stabiliser is boosting low voltage, a surge will result in an initial spike of destructively high volts before the stabilser adjusts.

I started using them for microwave, washing machine, etc, at a time when our voltages were so low that stuff simply did not work. I really should review that now.
Old 31st May 2016, 14:37   #6009
BANNED

Quote:
We also lost VCR, TV and Refrigerator long time ago, when a lightning surge blew them. The only solution to such high voltage surges is a heavy duty surge protector. As the surges are of high voltage very short duration, no stabilizer can respond fast enough, least of all servo stabilizer.
Agree, but these were not lightening strikes, but rather massive fluctuations. My guess is that somewhere down the line the neutral (grounded) was loose. Today they had a go, and since then I have not seen these wild swings.
Old 31st May 2016, 16:28   #6010
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
Sirji, Can you kindly educate on the HEAVY DUTY Ones ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I have concerns about them too, chiefly, the possibility that, when a stabiliser is boosting low voltage, a surge will result in an initial spike of destructively high volts before the stabilser adjusts.

I started using them for microwave, washing machine, etc, at a time when our voltages were so low that stuff simply did not work. I really should review that now.
You are right. When there is low voltage issue, the stabilizer does the duty of boosting the voltage. A surge protector like the one mentioned by Aroy Sir, can protect the connected load from 'seeing' over voltage. They use MOV (metal Oxide Varistor) - a component that applies a short across the circuit when it exceeds a threshold value - 270 V in our case. They are line voltage surge suppressors. This presupposes that it is preceded by a fuse or MCB suitably rated.

I have rigged up a high surge current rated MOV across every circuit protected by MCBs and I have never suffered any loss. It is a different matter our phone lines are not protected and as a result I have to change NIC in our computers every time there is an inclement weather.
Old 1st June 2016, 07:26   #6011
Senior - BHPian

For those using a dishwasher, the cost of the Finish Dishwashing detergent has been significantly increased. Their official website now links to the amazon site for peoduct sales and the recommended price is Rs. 425 (previously Rs. 300). That's a huge price increase.
So if you see one selling at 300 at your local supermarket just grab it!
Old 5th June 2016, 15:57   #6012
BHPian

For Bosch front loading machine , What precautions should be taken in places like bangalore where ground water is hard and likey to cause issues for front loading with heater oprtion.
Old 5th June 2016, 16:20   #6013
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
For those using a dishwasher, the cost of the Finish Dishwashing detergent has been significantly increased.
Is there an alternate? I did purchase some from eBay but a local brand, during the last shortage. However I have not used it yet as I eventually did find finish itself.
Old 5th June 2016, 18:36   #6014
BANNED

Even when I was in the UK, Finish was considered to be the top of the pyramid.

When we returned from the UK in 1991 with our dishwasher, dishwasher detergent was unknown esp in the boondocks like Kanpur. After finishing our stock of Sun, we ended up using Front Loader Detergent. Well it worked well. As for the 'shine' I know it was Teepol based, so I got a bottle of Teepol! Slat, I bought soap crystals by the kg from a grocer (since I did not want to use the iodized table salt), washed it a bit, and used it! So the Indian Jugaad did work!
Old 5th June 2016, 19:14   #6015
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Is there an alternate? I did purchase some from eBay but a local brand, during the last shortage. However I have not used it yet as I eventually did find finish itself.
I use Fortune dishwasher tablets which i buy from eBay. It's also available on Amazon. 60 tablets cost about 800Rs (cheaper if you use coupons from eBay). I find they are as good as the Finish powder, but not as good as Finish AllinOne or Quantum tablets.
There is also IFB branded dishwasher detergent which i feel is not as good.
Try looking at the bigger supermarkets and you may still get Finish powder at 300 Rs.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks