Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2016, 16:38   #6136
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Guys, does a domestic air filter help clean the air ? My mom is a severe asthma patient and I was thinking of getting one.

How is the MI Air Purifier 2 ?
Old 23rd September 2016, 19:39   #6137

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Guys, does a domestic air filter help clean the air ?
To answer in one word - Yes.

My mother has the same problem and I am using two of these at home, since last winters - http://smartairfilters.com/in/en/pro...-air-purifier/

You can really feel the effect in 30 mins. In Delhi's winters its a necessasity rather than a luxury.
Old 23rd September 2016, 21:15   #6138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Guys, does a domestic air filter help clean the air ? My mom is a severe asthma patient and I was thinking of getting one.

How is the MI Air Purifier 2 ?
I too am waiting for a good review on the Mi 2 Air Purifier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5hadow View Post
To answer in one word - Yes.

My mother has the same problem and I am using two of these at home, since last winters - http://smartairfilters.com/in/en/pro...-air-purifier/

You can really feel the effect in 30 mins. In Delhi's winters its a necessasity rather than a luxury.
How long do the filters last on this one? How much do replacement filters cost?
Old 23rd September 2016, 23:49   #6139
BHPian

I see two drawbacks with the Smart Air filter:
1. The way the fan is located it does not make full use of the surface area of the Hepa filter.
2. With the Hepa filter fully exposed its life will be very short.

In a dirty and dusty environment like our country it's a good idea to have a pre filter. It is just like the air filter found in ACs: its can be washed and reused any number of time. It catches big dirts, which will otherwise clog the Hepa filter very fast. Hepa filter cannot be washed, it has to be replaced when dirty.

The MI Air Purifier looks very promising on paper. It has pre filter, activated carbon filter (removes odour, formaldehyde, etc) and a Hepa filter. I have read one review which states that activated carbon filter absorbs moisture and makes the air dry. However I have not found similar statement anywhere else.
Old 24th September 2016, 14:38   #6140
BHPian

Just purchased the induction cooktop from flipkart.
Let's see if it deliversThe Home Appliance thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1474708092.339497.jpg
Old 24th September 2016, 20:17   #6141
BHPian

So turns out it was a farce from flipkart.
The Home Appliance thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1474728416.296073.jpg
Old 25th September 2016, 23:00   #6142

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaykk View Post
How long do the filters last on this one? How much do replacement filters cost?
Recommended time frame for a change is 3 months. Its just like you car service. You have to make a decision based on the Air Purifier's environment, use and abuse. You will be able to clearly see the HEPA filter getting dirty and you will know. Winters, it last me 3-4 months and summers about 6-7 months.

Cost - http://smartairfilters.com/in/en/pro...tegory/filter/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
I see two drawbacks with the Smart Air filter:
1. The way the fan is located it does not make full use of the surface area of the Hepa filter.
2. With the Hepa filter fully exposed its life will be very short.
1. Not a dealbreaker, is it?
2. Please refer to the filters link above. I am using it with Pre-filters. No carbon here.
Old 25th September 2016, 23:31   #6143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5hadow View Post
Recommended time frame for a change is 3 months. Its just like you car service. You have to make a decision based on the Air Purifier's environment, use and abuse. You will be able to clearly see the HEPA filter getting dirty and you will know. Winters, it last me 3-4 months and summers about 6-7 months.

Cost - http://smartairfilters.com/in/en/pro...tegory/filter/

1. Not a dealbreaker, is it?
2. Please refer to the filters link above. I am using it with Pre-filters. No carbon here.
Their YouTube demo shows the pre filter on the fan side (which btw means the the fan blows air into the filter, and not suck through it). The Hepa filter is still exposed but on the air exit side. I have my doubt, though it may not be justified. If it were suction they could have placed the pre filter on the exposed side, as done by most manufacturer.

I have been using a Philips model since last winter and have not replaced the Hepa filter yet. It has been lying idle since this monsoon because the air quality indicator is showing good air quality at the moment. It will be pressed into service again from Diwali season onward.
Old 26th September 2016, 12:27   #6144
Team-BHP Support

I ordered the Mi Air Purifier 2 in the flash sale today for 9,999.

The primary use is for parents bedroom (14*16 feet) and I hope this helps my asthmatic mom.
Old 27th September 2016, 13:04   #6145
BHPian

I have severe dust allergy from India's urban pollution. Switch on the newly bought Dr.Aeroguard, and 30 minutes later I stop coughing. A couple of hours later the lung irritation completely goes away leaving me free to breathe properly.

A full night later, wheezing in the lungs completely stops.

I have tried with and without it for the last week after purchasing it. The difference is like day and night. So yes, for people with breathing issues, it is a must.
Old 27th September 2016, 13:18   #6146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMind View Post
I have severe dust allergy from India's urban pollution. Switch on the newly bought Dr.Aeroguard, and 30 minutes later I stop coughing. A couple of hours later the lung irritation completely goes away leaving me free to breathe properly.

A full night later, wheezing in the lungs completely stops.

I have tried with and without it for the last week after purchasing it. The difference is like day and night. So yes, for people with breathing issues, it is a must.
Special nose filters are available for those suffering from various particle allergies. Those who have chronic allergy problems can investigate this option, as you cannot get a dust free environment every where.
http://www.webmd.com/allergies/news/...ease-allergies
http://www.amazon.in/Allergy-Advance...p_ob_title_hpc
http://www.amazon.in/s/?ie=UTF8&keyw...l_3f6tomz57j_b
Old 29th September 2016, 20:56   #6147
Senior - BHPian

Now Samsung's top loading washing machines are exploding after their phones. In US they have a law suit filed against them.
These are only US specific and not supposed to be impacting outside of US.
Old 3rd October 2016, 20:24   #6148
Senior - BHPian

Still on the topic of air purifiers, are there any good deals from the amazon or flipkart sales this week?
Old 3rd October 2016, 21:24   #6149
Distinguished - BHPian

If we can stretch the meaning of home appliance a little, here is my new waste/flood-water pump. CRI 2-HP submersible..

The Home Appliance thread-submersiblepump.jpg

It is amazing. It sucked water out of our previous (version 2) drainage pit faster than it could flow in, hence the new version 3 seen below. The blue hose leads to the new pump.

The Home Appliance thread-newpit.jpg

You can see the Honda petrol/kerosene pump there also. That isn't going anywhere because of power cuts.
Old 4th October 2016, 18:18   #6150
Senior - BHPian

My wife runs a women wear manufacturing unit. As with any kind of clothing business, there's a lot of dust kind of feel in the air. Its a similar feel which thread/cotton mills have.

While she has a 18 x 8 separate office which is air conditioned I wanted to understand if there's a way to check the air quality before I decide to buy her one of the air purifiers.

If to be on the safer side its better to get an air purifier what kind of technology works best, assuming there are many. My budget would be 20-25k unless something in 30-35k is like state of the art stuff.

EDIT: This looked like a decent product with the amount of features it has but I'm totally unaware of what all to look for in air purifiers.

Last edited by fine69 : 4th October 2016 at 18:19.

Most Viewed