Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2018, 20:27   #6886
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
Earlier weld is just a dot, and the surface I would be applying is stainless steel and plastic. Still it requires a prep?
I usually roughen surfaces, especially if they are particularly shiny. If I am doing something like fixing a steel kitchen tool into its plastic handle, I might even file some shallow grooves across the tool. Frankly, I have no idea how much this contributes to the longevity, but it makes me feel clever doing it

Apply as much force as you can while the glue sets.
Old 4th October 2018, 09:59   #6887
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I usually roughen surfaces, especially if they are particularly shiny.
Same as in my case, will roughen it as much as possible.

Quote:
Apply as much force as you can while the glue sets.
Sure would do, thanks for the tip.
Old 5th October 2018, 17:42   #6888
BHPian

I am looking to replace the washing machine stand that we have. Currently, the one we are using seems to be made of iron and showing some rust around the region where the caster wheel meets the frame. I suspect it will not hold for too long.

The machine is kept in the utility area where the floor is cleaned everyday with water and some non-abrasive cleaners.

Are there stands/supports that people here have used and are quite happy with? I was inclining towards those 4-piece plastic spacers but not sure how they hold up over time - meaning, would I have to check the alignment of the WM with a spirit-level frequently enough in anticipation of the plastic spacers caving in a bit?
Old 5th October 2018, 18:48   #6889
BHPian

Hi guys,
This festive season I am looking to buy an automatic washing machine for a family of 6. I have zeroed in on the following Ifb model.

https://www.ifbappliances.com/executive-plus-vx-id

It's an 8.5 kg front loading model. Have a few queries.

1. Ifb or Bosch? Both service centers are there in my city. Bosch has 2 years warranty while Ifb has 4 years.

2. Considering that automatic machines take a long time to complete a cycle, does the inverter technology of this machine help in reducing power consumption?

3. Cost of detergents used compared to the ones used in semi automatic washing machines?

4. Any downside that this is a belt driven drum compared to direct driven drum? I was told that belt driven drums are cheaper to repair in the long term.

Any other pointers from the experts will be highly appreciated.

Last edited by D4d-maniac : 5th October 2018 at 18:50.
Old 5th October 2018, 20:02   #6890
Senior - BHPian

Having used both top and front loading washing machines over the last decade, I have realised why they are named washing and not cleaning machines!

They are good for bed spreads, curtains, towels and such long spread fabrics. But when it comes to trousers and shirts for instance, the hem lines, cuffs, armpits and collars are rarely cleaned unless there is some brushing done beforehand. Even then, due to their inability to identify and concentrate on specific areas, they cannot hold a candle to the traditional, manual washing of clothes.
Old 5th October 2018, 23:17   #6891
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
Having used both top and front loading washing machines over the last decade, I have realised why they are named washing and not cleaning machines! ...
Blame the Indian washing powders, not [necessarily] the machines!

... speaking as one whose experience with washing machines goes back nearly 4 decades!
Old 6th October 2018, 06:16   #6892
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Blame the Indian washing powders, not [necessarily] the machines!
Well, four is any day, anywhere, greater than one and hence i must trust you! The shopping list on amazon.com should perhaps from now on be extended to include detergents too.

That said, I feel these machines weren't really made to cater to tropical life conditions where we sweat a lot, walk on unpaved roads and often use footwear other than shoes; the water quality is inconsistent.

So many factors.

The machines could be working perfectly in standard test conditions, but are certainly performing below par in real life - in my home at least .
Old 6th October 2018, 07:44   #6893
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyata View Post
I am looking to replace the washing machine stand that we have. Currently, the one we are using seems to be made of iron and showing some rust around the region where the caster wheel meets the frame. I suspect it will not hold for too long.
Have same issue here with a 7 Year old samsung Front loader. The ASS Quoted minimum 5 K and 10 days for replacing the frame. If the frame is rusting, no use of stand or "legs".

I put pieces of excess "waterproof" MDF board lying around to keep it level and waiting for it to go as far it can. Will buy a new m/c.
Old 6th October 2018, 11:14   #6894
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
Having used both top and front loading washing machines over the last decade, I have realised why they are named washing and not cleaning machines!

They are good for bed spreads, curtains, towels and such long spread fabrics. But when it comes to trousers and shirts for instance, the hem lines, cuffs, armpits and collars are rarely cleaned unless there is some brushing done beforehand. Even then, due to their inability to identify and concentrate on specific areas, they cannot hold a candle to the traditional, manual washing of clothes.
What you are doing during manual washing is to concentrate the washing/scrubbing effort on areas requiring it. Do similar thing before putting clothes in washing machine.

My experience is that washing is perfect in a front loading washing machine provided :
. At least in my house the tendency is to fill the machine to the maximum, that is a no go for heavily stained clothes. You fill the machine to half level only. That allows it to "Tumble". Without the tumbling action the dirt does not leave the clothes.
. Use the hottest water setting that is compatible with the clothes - 30 for coloured and synthetic and upto 90 for heavy cottons that do not shed colour. Heavy stains refuse to part at low water temperature. I regularly wash curtains and bath towels at 90 degrees and they come out perfect - as good as from a good laundry.
. In case of heavy stains, soak the stains with stain removing liquid, at least half an hour before washing. This will reduce the washing time as the liquid will have done its job before you start washing cycle.
Old 6th October 2018, 13:09   #6895
Distinguished - BHPian

Strange to tell, I don't feel that the tropical dirt rivals the greasy grime of London commuting! But, yes I admit that I've never spent a day in a Chennai office wearing a Western shirt. Those many years of London offices and commuting also included quite a few of hand washing, and the machines, at least the modern ones, maybe not the old twin-tub of 1980, beat the hand wash, ahem, hands down.

But I immediately noticed a performance difference here... And I think we discussed this on this thread about ten or twelve years ago, about the powder constituents.

Comparing the situation to the car. Here, my car gets utterly filthy even when just parked outside the house. There is a thick layer of dust. In London, that dust world not be there, but there would be a thin layer of greasy grime.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 6th October 2018 at 13:12.
Old 7th October 2018, 12:15   #6896
Senior - BHPian

Folks, now is the time to buy appliances, it is raining discounts.
I just bought a basic Microwave and a Self cleaning chimney from Paytm, and got fabulous deals much better than Amazon and other e-commerce sites.

Hindware 60 cm 1200 m3/h Auto Clean Chimney (Nevio 60 Black) for 10,499 after all cash backs.

Samsung 23L Solo Microwave oven (MS23K3513AK, Black), Quick Defrost for 4,999 after all cash backs.

This does not include 10% cashback from ICICI which will come in 3 months!
Old 10th October 2018, 21:10   #6897
BHPian

Finally picked up Bosch Dishwasher SMS60L12IN in the Amazon sale.
Price came to 24500 after SBI Card discount and Amazon Pay cashback. Also got an 18 month no-cost EMI which makes it 1400 as my monthly outgo.
Time to scour this thread for detergent and other recommendations. Is salt necessary for pure water supply as well.
Old 24th October 2018, 14:31   #6898
Senior - BHPian

My Havells 15 litre water heater is barely enough for 1 bath when the weather is cool. It looks like the heater is not working well. I had it cleaned and deacaled last year with no change.
I'm considering buying a new 25 litre heater for a family of 4.
AO Smith seems a good choice. I can get one for 7000 RS (VAS model) or RS. 9000 (SAS model). Seems the heater alloy is different.
Which model is better.
Or is there any other good brand worth a shot around the same budget.
Old 24th October 2018, 15:12   #6899
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
Or is there any other good brand worth a shot around the same budget.
AO smith is apparently good but no personal experience. But we have been using Racold 'eterno' (25 ltrs) for past 6 years on almost daily basis and I am very happy with the flawless operation all through these years given that our water has good amount of limescale content. Not sure if price information would be relevant today but we got it for 8K exactly 6 years ago.

Regards,
Saket
Old 24th October 2018, 15:37   #6900
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
AO smith is apparently good but no personal experience. But we have been using Racold 'eterno' (25 ltrs) for past 6 years on almost daily basis and I am very happy with the flawless operation all through these years given that our water has good amount of limescale content. Not sure if price information would be relevant today but we got it for 8K exactly 6 years ago.

Regards,
Saket
Same here. We have Racold Eterno that was installed when we brought our flat in 2006. Since then, we might have replaced the coil couple of times (for around 1000 bucks) and auto timer off functionality is no longer working. However, the heating functionality is working flawlessly since day one and I am quite happy with Racold brand.

Most Viewed