Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2019, 13:06   #6961
BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Removing Hard Scales inside front loading washing machine drum

Hi,

Have recently noticed hard scales inside the drum of the front loading washing machine.

The hard flakes are now getting into the clothes in the wash cycle.

Any method or solution to remove the hard scales in the machine

Help or guidance is highly appreciated
Old 4th January 2019, 16:46   #6962
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
There are descaling powders available in market (Amazon). You can use that. Else you also use one or two cup full of citric acid which will do the same.

Last edited by ampere : 8th January 2019 at 08:24. Reason: trimmed quoted post
Old 4th January 2019, 18:30   #6963
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
There are descaling powders available. Both IFB previously and now LG technicians carry them. They cost around 150 a pack, and that is good enough for at least six months. Probably it will be much less in the market.

Last edited by ampere : 8th January 2019 at 08:25. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
Old 5th January 2019, 11:09   #6964
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
There are descaling powders available. Both IFB previously and now LG technicians carry them. They cost around 150 a pack, and that is good enough for at least six months. Probably it will be much less in the market.
The Fortune descaling powder has an MRP of 150 but you get it for about 60 when you buy a pack of 4/5 from Amazon.
Old 5th January 2019, 13:27   #6965
Distinguished - BHPian

Are any members using Bosch In built hobs? We had got a hob by Prestige along with their kitchen many years back, but the quality was pathetic and now it is time we replaced it. Hence, the options I am looking for are Elica and Bosch. I found that both had very good build quality. Saw a few others like Carysil, Whirlpool etc but the knobs were pretty flimsy, while the Elica had good quality but the Iron stands were too big and against our liking. But the Elica scores in the rest of the departments. Any first hand reviews of Bosch or Elica?
Old 5th January 2019, 16:22   #6966
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
But the Elica scores in the rest of the departments. Any first hand reviews of Bosch or Elica?
we are using elica for about three years now and are happy with it. Both the looks and performance are good. I especially like the 5 jet nozzles for larger flames when needed.
Old 5th January 2019, 16:47   #6967
Senior - BHPian

BOSCH is very good. After all the same model is sold worldwide. Also, Look up KAFF, GLEN and FABER. These are sturdy! HAFELE is the best out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Are any members using Bosch In built hobs?

Last edited by khan_sultan : 9th January 2019 at 14:13. Reason: Edited for better readability
Old 8th January 2019, 02:00   #6968
BHPian

Visiting India soon, Wanting to gift a nice cooktop/Chimney combo for Mom, With the advent of summer it will be a great relief. I believe selecting a cooktop will be easy, will take her to the store and ask her to pick one not sure about the chimneys

Was looking at vijaysales website and Flipkart but got confused. Some things i am looking for:

1) Powerful
2) Less Noise --We have an exhaust fan but that is largely being not used due to Noise it generates.
3) Adequate suction of hot air.

Can anyone recommend what i should be looking for? Thanks!
Old 8th January 2019, 12:41   #6969
BANNED

I'm looking to renovate our kitchen. Why should I prefer a hob, rather than a conventional gas stove? Kochi has plans to shift to CNG for cooking, so what happens to my investment in LPG hob if I get one now?

How is a cooktop different from a hob? Why buy it in combo with chimney?
Old 8th January 2019, 12:48   #6970
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
I'm looking to renovate our kitchen. Why should I prefer a hob, rather than a conventional gas stove? Kochi has plans to shift to CNG for cooking, so what happens to my investment in LPG hob if I get one now?

If you ask me, will say go for a stove. It's been tough for us to maintain the hob as lots of food/liquid seep between the lining and you are dependent on the manufacturer for regular servicing. I intend to replace our hob with a good old gas stove.
JMaruru is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2019, 13:05   #6971
Senior - BHPian

What kind of preventive maintenance does one do on their Washing Machine? I have the LG direct drive washing machine purchased 2 years back and now shifted to a place where the water is really hard.

What kind of preventive maintenance can I do to ensure that the washing machine chugs along fine?
Old 8th January 2019, 13:28   #6972
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
........What kind of preventive maintenance can I do to ensure that the washing machine chugs along fine?
I am in a similar situation. I have IFB washing machine and the dealer advised me to use a descaler powder, purchased the one manufacture by IFB but I think there are multiple descaler powder available online. Haven't used it yet so can't really comment on the effectiveness.
Old 8th January 2019, 14:06   #6973
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
What kind of preventive maintenance does one do on their Washing Machine? I have the LG direct drive washing machine purchased 2 years back and now shifted to a place where the water is really hard.

What kind of preventive maintenance can I do to ensure that the washing machine chugs along fine?
We had an LG Direct drive WM for 8 years. Recently, the base of the washing machine rusted and it was so bad that the bottom mounting location had come off and the drum was running only with support from the top suspension. Hence, please regularly take a look at the bottom panels and check for rusting and treat it. Apart from that, you can try adding a water softener at the inlet pipe. I am not sure how effective it is, but we replaced the LG with another one of the same model and the technician convinced my dad to get that installed. Beyond that I think descaling the washing machine once a while is also a good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post

AFAIK, it is for the sake of good looks which blend with a modular kitchen and a shiny granite slab. In my house, we have a galaxy black slab for which a black tempered glass hob blends very well. Cleaning difficulty depends upon the design. We had a prestige hob earlier which had a relatively complex burner construction and cleaning this was a pain. However, it had a moat around the burner to store any spillover like milk etc. It lasted 8 years but recently developed wear and tear related issues and hence we replaced it.

Regarding usage between LPG and CNG, most hobs come with interchangeable nozzles which helps you to use the same hob with either gases. My hob came with LPG nozzles factory fitted and CNG nozzle separate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
BOSCH is very good. After all the same model is sold worldwide. Also, Look up KAFF, GLEN and FABER. These are sturdy! HAFELE is the best out there.
We finally ended up buying the Bosch one. Both me and dad liked the quality and finish on the Bosch. Elica was almost in the same level, but the stands were too fat for our liking. Though we preferred brass burners, it was not available in Bosch so we did settle with Italian burners, though the one we got had a higher heat output compared to Italian burners of other brands. The installation was done professionally with good attention to detail compared to the earlier prestige hob. Should see how it fares in the longrun.
Old 8th January 2019, 15:07   #6974
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Front loader? There will be a small hatch near the bottom behind which you will find a drain tube for the remaining water, and the removable pump impeller. Check this from time to time and remove fluff, gunk, etc. Top loaders may have equivalent: I don't know.

You can use some sort of water softener if you actually have hard water. I suspect many people think that their water is harder than it is. If your water is really hard, you might even need to de-scale once in a while.

Check the manual, of course. But a washing machine really doesn't need that much attention.

Good point from audioholic, though! A very good idea to check for rust. If it is there, then nipping it in the bud could really extend the life of your machine. Like cars, not much point in the engine being fine if the body is falling to bits.
Old 8th January 2019, 15:23   #6975
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
We've been using a Samsung top-load machine for about ten years now in Gurgaon (TDS 450+); no issue whatsoever. I do clean the water inlet filter every once a while.

Most Viewed