Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2019, 08:35   #7171
BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

I have an LG direct drive front loading washing machine. It has been serving us for 4 years without a glitch.

My parents have an older, smaller version of the same washing machine for close to 10 year now. Just once, a component in the control panel blew which had to be replaced. LG service was terrific. They even gave 3 months warranty on the replaced part.

Reaffirmed our decision of going for LG, their service is definitely excellent.
Old 26th June 2019, 08:58   #7172
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive2eternity View Post

My parents have an older, smaller version of the same washing machine for close to 10 year now. Just once, a component in the control panel blew which had to be replaced. LG service was terrific. They even gave 3 months warranty on the replaced part.

Same case here. Had a great run with an LG Direct drive for around 9 years after which the bottom rusted. Hence we replaced it with another one of the same kind. With our earlier washing machine, the circuit board blew up when it was four years old. However, when we called the service personnel, they asked us to check if we had extended warranty. We had no clue but they found out themselves that we had, and replaced the board free of cost.
Service apart, I just love how silent the direct drive washing machine is, especially since before this we had an old IFB washing machine which would let the neighbours know that we were using it
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2019, 09:14   #7173
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
We have a Bosch 6.5KG Front loader.
Quote:
I have an LG direct drive front loading washing machine. It has been serving us for 4 years without a glitch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Same case here. Had a great run with an LG Direct drive for around 9 years after which the bottom rusted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Front loaders have been stable for decades, even with spn speeds well over 1,000RPM. If people encounter one that is not, it is not leveled, as described above, not installed on a solid base (stands are not a good idea) or it is a rogue machine.
Thank you all. I will choose between Bosch and LG.

I have a follow up question. I understood that stands are not good for these machines. In the pictures I see of these machines, the bottom is totally flat. Are there any rubber feet that create some gap between the bottom of the machine and the floor? The reason I ask is if by chance some water spills on the floor and seeps below the machine, there will be no way to wipe this and this may lead to rust?
Old 26th June 2019, 09:36   #7174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
In the pictures I see of these machines, the bottom is totally flat. Are there any rubber feet that create some gap between the bottom of the machine and the floor?
Yes. There are 4 small legs which are adjustable as well. Quite similar to what you would have under your fridge.
Old 26th June 2019, 10:51   #7175
BANNED

Quote:
In the pictures I see of these machines, the bottom is totally flat. Are there any rubber feet that create some gap between the bottom of the machine and the floor? The reason I ask is if by chance some water spills on the floor and seeps below the machine, there will be no way to wipe this and this may lead to rust?
Chances of water leakage from the machine is very rare - unless it is faulty.
The machine will stand a little more than an inch above the floor. It Certainly is a difficult task to clean below the machine. IMO, You can consider Samsung too.
Rust formation can be also be due to closed doors after wash. Remember to leave the door open after wash.
Old 26th June 2019, 11:50   #7176
Senior - BHPian

Regarding Washing Machines

. Front loading machines consume less water
. IFB was a bad design - they had a huge Stone just under the top lid to stabilize the machine. The current generation Direct Drive Machines do not vibrate, unless you have an unbalanced load - say a couple of shoes, or a single blanket.
. Korean machines are better designed and slightly cheaper compared to western design. They also have better warranty terms.
. To get super clean clothes load the machine to 60% of its capacity. Unless the clothes "Tumble" during the wash cycle they will not clean perfectly.
. Hot water cycles - 40 to 90 degrees get better wash with less detergent.
Old 26th June 2019, 13:14   #7177
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Yes. There are 4 small legs which are adjustable as well. Quite similar to what you would have under your fridge.
Thanks. That should be good enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Chances of water leakage from the machine is very rare - unless it is faulty.
The machine will stand a little more than an inch above the floor. It Certainly is a difficult task to clean below the machine. IMO, You can consider Samsung too.
Rust formation can be also be due to closed doors after wash. Remember to leave the door open after wash.
My worry about water seeping under was not from the machine, but from other sources like maid spilling water nearby etc. Sure. Will add Samsung to the list as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Regarding Washing Machines

. Front loading machines consume less water
. IFB was a bad design - they had a huge Stone just under the top lid to stabilize the machine. The current generation Direct Drive Machines do not vibrate, unless you have an unbalanced load - say a couple of shoes, or a single blanket.
. Korean machines are better designed and slightly cheaper compared to western design. They also have better warranty terms.
. To get super clean clothes load the machine to 60% of its capacity. Unless the clothes "Tumble" during the wash cycle they will not clean perfectly.
Thank you so much for the lot of useful information. I have a 5kg top loading machine. I am looking for an 8kg front loading model. Guess that should satisfy the 60% load criteria.
Old 26th June 2019, 16:07   #7178
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
As I recently wrote, 40-60 is sufficient. 90 it's excessive for almost everything.

Probably less of a waste of electricity to use, but I also reserve high spin speeds for wet weather. The climate here dries everything in a few hours on most days of the year. (Which is why we might not even have the water to do the washing soon! But that's another story)
Old 26th June 2019, 16:32   #7179
BHPian

Quote:

My worry about water seeping under was not from the machine, but from other sources like maid spilling water nearby etc. Sure. Will add Samsung to the list as well.
This was the exact reason why I had to get a 6 inch tall platform created. Whatever spills the maid will have, will be on the the floor hence the rusting hopefully could be avoided.
Old 27th June 2019, 22:34   #7180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you all. I will choose between Bosch and LG.

I have a follow up question. I understood that stands are not good for these machines. In the pictures I see of these machines, the bottom is totally flat. Are there any rubber feet that create some gap between the bottom of the machine and the floor? The reason I ask is if by chance some water spills on the floor and seeps below the machine, there will be no way to wipe this and this may lead to rust?
I am also in the market for replacing my 6 year old LG front loader. Went for some window shopping today and was surprised to find Bosch to be cheaper than LG.

Bosch had 2 models in the 6.5 Kg range, one with a touch screen which is made in China and another with push buttons which is made in India and around 1k cheaper. Leaning towards the second with the hope that the push buttons would last longer.

All the LG machines on display were touch screen ones and have wifi, NFC, etc. I wonder who cares about a wifi enabled washing machine

I had seen this stand on amazon but it was not available in the Bosch store. The sales guy told that it can be purchsed through the installation technician. Not sure if I want to spend 16k without seeing how well built it is.

Last edited by Jaguar : 27th June 2019 at 22:35.
Old 5th July 2019, 06:51   #7181
Senior - BHPian

Washing machines need descaling once in 6 months, since its mostly tanker water in Bangalore. Ordered one from Bosch (Germany) on Flipkart. This one costs Rs. 600, but there are some from Whirpool at Rs. 150 as well.
Attached Thumbnails
The Home Appliance thread-img_0714.jpg  

Old 5th July 2019, 09:57   #7182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Washing machines need descaling once in 6 months, since its mostly tanker water in Bangalore. Ordered one from Bosch (Germany) on Flipkart. This one costs Rs. 600, but there are some from Whirpool at Rs. 150 as well.
Buy some citric acid powder from Amazon. Add a cupful to the washing machine and run the hottest cycle. It will do the same at much cheaper price.
Old 5th July 2019, 10:16   #7183
BHPian

Quote:
Can you guide me on the proper method of descaling? I had bought 3 packets of descaling powder off Amzaon some months back but not sure how exactly to do it. A search on 'how to descale' on Google gives so many contrasting methods, I just got confused and left it at that.

KK
Old 5th July 2019, 10:22   #7184
Senior - BHPian

It's nothing. Just add this instead of washing powder. Select wash with the temperature set at 60 Degrees. Skip the rinse stage at end as there are no clothes to dry. Removes mold, unpleasant odours and scale. You can feel the positive effect after using the best powders. Then, for drum rubber beading, I use vinegar

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK_HakunaMatata View Post
Can you guide me
Old 9th July 2019, 18:23   #7185
BANNED

Quote:
It's nothing. Just add this instead of washing powder. Select wash with the temperature set at 60 Degrees. Skip the rinse stage at end as there are no clothes to dry. Removes mold, unpleasant odours and scale. You can feel the positive effect after using the best powders. Then, for drum rubber beading, I use vinegar
Thanks for the info.

Is descaling needed for those who are not having hard water?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks