Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2019, 21:09   #7201
BANNED

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaveed View Post
wifey wants the top loading one
Have used top loading automatics for close to 20 years now - they are good enough for most purposes.
Old 17th July 2019, 22:52   #7202
BHPian

Need a new fridge in the 450-500 litre segment. Budget is not a concern. Any suggestions what's best in the market for now.
Old 18th July 2019, 00:31   #7203
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaveed View Post
... i would also like to get the front loading one ... wifey wants the top loading one.
Well, the person who uses it should certainly have the final say. In fact, they should have all the say!

In this house, it's me. Although my wife occasionally says that I should show her how to use it, she is not enthusiastic enough to be there when I'm putting a load on to wash.

Here's a different thing. One of the most expensive things in our house, and the most expensive to run, is the AC machines. Probably the same for many others in this part of the world, and especially in this particularly-humid southern part of this part of the world.

So we spend a lot of money on being cooler and drier. And it is luxuriously wonderful to be able to do so. But yes, I've noticed problems with dry skin, and just lately my wife has been complaining about them. Still wondering why I should be paying to take moisture out of the air with one hand and putting it back with the other, I ordered a humidifier from Amazon.

Within 24 hours, both of us think that it increases comfort levels enough to order a second one!

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 18th July 2019 at 00:33.
Old 18th July 2019, 02:08   #7204
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Within 24 hours, both of us think that it increases comfort levels enough to order a second one.
I have the same situation and purchased a hygrometer that shows me the typical humidity at ~70% prior to turning on the ac at night and at ~30% about 8-10 hours later in the morning.
I toyed with purchasing a humidifier or finding my older one but am wary of possible damage to the TV, HT and other electronics in the room.

Last edited by diyguy : 18th July 2019 at 02:10.
Old 18th July 2019, 03:16   #7205
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
I toyed with purchasing a humidifier or finding my older one but am wary of possible damage to the TV, HT and other electronics in the room.

It is ultrasonic, like an ultrasonic cleaning bath. That can damage electronics?
Old 18th July 2019, 06:26   #7206
Senior - BHPian

Bosch, Hitachi and Panasonic have good models in that space. Look up their web sites as model styles are quite a few. We have a Panasonic 450 litre for 7-8 years now. Not a whisper, and totally maintenance-free - being Japanese. We will never replace it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauravdgr8 View Post
Need a new fridge in the 450-500 litre segment. Budget is not a concern. Any suggestions what's best in the market for now.
Attached Thumbnails
The Home Appliance thread-panasoni5_878d4c75.jpg  

Old 18th July 2019, 07:50   #7207
BANNED

Quote:
So we spend a lot of money on being cooler and drier. And it is luxuriously wonderful to be able to do so. But yes, I've noticed problems with dry skin, and just lately my wife has been complaining about them. Still wondering why I should be paying to take moisture out of the air with one hand and putting it back with the other, I ordered a humidifier from Amazon.

Within 24 hours, both of us think that it increases comfort levels enough to order a second one!

Hmm. The AC needs to have a Humidity control just like it has temp control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post

We live here in Bombay with 80%-90% RH - even with the humidifier, the RH will be less than that - so you should be fine.
Old 18th July 2019, 08:49   #7208
BHPian

Quote:
That can damage electronics?
I believe it will spew a thin mist of water which may settle on the pcb boards and cause some damage. I've seen paint peeling off in my room due to the cold of the aircon and expect the humidifier to be able to do some damage too.
I would wake up with a dry mouth sometimes and tried keeping a bucket of water in the room, then wet a towel and spread it out on the floor with one end dipped into the bucket etc. This helped some and the humidity wouldn't go down as much to 30%.
Old 18th July 2019, 13:21   #7209
Distinguished - BHPian

haha, I realised after posting...

You didn't mean the technology, you meant the humidity itself!

I don't think it is a course enough must to settle, but of course the humidity is raised by quite a bit, and it might condense. Or provide a better environment for growth of mould or fungus.

I had been thinking of getting a dry cabinet for camera lenses, etc. Where to stop!
Old 18th July 2019, 14:33   #7210
BHPian

Front-loaders vs. Top-loaders

Here is my perspective on top-loaders vs. front-loaders based on decades (and hundreds of loads) of use of either kind. But first the disclaimer based on the types of machines I've first-hand experience with:

Top-loader : Automatic - only the Agitator type (the ones with a central agitator column).

Top-loader : Semi-Automatic - only the Impeller type. I still have to use this kind perforce for several months each year! I have no first-hand experience of using automatic top-loaders of the Impeller kind.

Front-loader : My current machine is an IFB-Bosch (yes, the original re-branded Bosch).

Quote:
How is top-load easier? One still has to reach down into the drum to remove the clothes.

My perspective on this is limited. I have only used a top-loader once in thirty years.
This is not an issue at all, except, perhaps, for very short people. Conversely, taller people (especially if aged) may find it more inconvenient to use a front-loader! Raising the level of the front-loader with a custom-built platform could help, but what if one needs to move often, and to a rented accomodation?

In my experience, it's just easier to dump clothes in a top-loader, add detergent (not necessarily in a separate dispenser), shut the lid and run the machine (one can easily add missed items during the cycle too), ... and come back half-an-hour later when all done (rather than after an hour-and-a-half, as for front-loaders)!

It's less easy to stoop and load my IFB through its small, 9.5" opening, then load the different sections of the detergent dispenser before turning on the machine. Yes, it's still easy enough, and one gets used to it all, and isn't even bothered after a while. But we're talking relative ease of operation here!

I've found top-loaders (of the agitator kind) easier to unload too, with all the pieces of clothing in an untangled state. I sometimes find it a struggle to stoop and extract washed clothes in a tangled, jumbled mass through the 9.5" opening of my IFB front-loader, -- one has to untangle inside the machine first, while in an uncomfortable posture (stooped/ knelt down). Thankfully, the openings of current front-loaders are relatively larger. Perhaps that makes it easier.

Oh yes, ... after every wash, one also needs to carefully wipe clean and dry the gasket folds of a front-loader opening, (and clean the detergent dispenser too (sometimes drain it as well), when necessary), -- certainly doesn't help in the ease of operation!

And how can I forget the more finicky nature of a front-loader regarding its need for critical levelling (or it would go dancing about)!

Thus, if I were to choose a machine based on ease of use alone, I'd certainly pick a top-loader over a front-loader!

But there are other things to consider ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Front loaders consume about 40% of water used by top loaders. With the growing water crisis ...
This is a valid point. However, I've found I often need extra rinses in my IFB to remove all detergent (yes, the name-brand made-for-front-loaders type)! Still, this is something to consider.

Quote:
... Also the front loaders due to their washing action, provide a better cleaning compared to top loaders.
This is just a myth! Top-loaders can wash just as well as front-loaders. In fact I'd even argue that they are better because they achieve the same quality of wash in a fraction of the time it takes front-loaders!

... And one needs to pre-treat cuffs and collars and such with either kind of machine!

An overwhelming majority of washing machines used at least in Asia and the USA/Canada are top loaders (albeit of different types). So, even though front-loaders seem to prevail in Europe, top-loaders sold worldwide must outnumber front-loaders by a hefty margin! This would not be possible if top-loaders were inherently that much inferior overall.

In my view, where the front-loaders really score over the top-loaders is in the much more gentle handling of the clothes. Agitator wash is not as gentle, -- and forget about the semi-automatic impeller kind which don't seem to distinguish between dirt and the individual fibres of the clothes themselves and try to remove both off the clothes in the name of washing! I would strongly recommend against using this semi-automatic impeller type, and based on my experience with this, I'm not too keen myself on trying out automatic top-loaders based on variations of the impeller technology either! I believe it is likely to be much harsher on clothes.

Front-loaders are more space-efficient too, -- can be placed under the cabinet, or the top can be used as a table. They look nicer too!

Considering all, when the time comes for replacement of my own IFB, I'd likely again go for a front-loader.

Last edited by Aditya : 19th July 2019 at 07:01. Reason: Formatting post to remove extra line spacing.
meerkat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2019, 15:58   #7211
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Front-loaders vs. Top-loaders

Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat View Post
Oh yes, ... after every wash, one also needs to carefully wipe clean and dry the gasket folds of a front-loader opening, (and clean the detergent dispenser too (sometimes drain it as well), when necessary), -- certainly doesn't help in the ease of operation!.
No, you don't. I've never done any of that.

What I was advised by an engineer was to leave the door ajar to allow the machine to dry out.
Old 18th July 2019, 16:15   #7212
Distinguished - BHPian

Thank you Meercut for the detailed comparison. That mostly sums it.
Living with what you say an old IFB or rebranded Bosch, I can relate to almost all the points made about the front loader. I have had a short stint with a semi-auto top loader when I moved to other place for my first job and it was a Whirlpool. I found the wash quality much better in the front loader; if I am right in comparing the semi auto top load machine with the IFB.

Coming to the drying part, I will align with Thad here. We have rarely cleaned or dried the folder gasket area after wash. Once in a while while cleaning the machine I have done it but rarely after a wash. And the machine is still on the original gasket. The only thing we follow is that leaving the door ajar after unloading post wash to let the drum dry.

One thing that I wasn't able to do in my semi-auto machine was to add any whitener. Can anyone confirm that if fully automatic top-loaders have the provision to add a liquid whitener to the detergent tray which is consumed at the last rinse cycle in the front loader.

Regards.
Old 18th July 2019, 16:52   #7213
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post

One thing that I wasn't able to do in my semi-auto machine was to add any whitener. Can anyone confirm that if fully automatic top-loaders have the provision to add a liquid whitener to the detergent tray which is consumed at the last rinse cycle in the front loader.

Regards.
As far as I remember, my IFB front load had one and my present LG front load has it.

There are three dispensers provided
. Left one - soap for main wash
. Right one - soap for pre wash
. centre for fabric conditioner

I guess that the fabric conditioner goes in before the last rinse cycle.

At least Whirlpool claims too do so. May be others do so.
https://www.whirlpoolindia.com/washi...xoC7UsQAvD_BwE

One thing that Front Loading WM have and is lacking in most Top Loading WM is high speed spin - 1000, 1200 or 1500 RPM.

Front Loading WM also have higher temperature - 90 degrees. We use this regularly for heavily soiled clothes, towels, curtains and bed sheets
Old 19th July 2019, 09:58   #7214
BHPian

Quote:
No, you don't. I've never done any of that.

What I was advised by an engineer was to leave the door ajar to allow the machine to dry out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post

... Coming to the drying part, I will align with Thad here. We have rarely cleaned or dried the folder gasket area after wash. Once in a while while cleaning the machine I have done it but rarely after a wash.
Well, during installation the first things the IFB engineer asked me to do after each wash were (from my notes):

1. Check the inner fold of the gasket, clean out any debris and wipe off any water.
2. Keep the door ajar.
3. Remove the dispenser tray and dry it out.

... and I've followed the routine ever since.

What I've experienced is, if I missed wiping off the water accumulated in the inner fold of the gasket, after a while the machine starts to stink, and mold forms! Just keeping the door ajar never dries out the puddle under the gasket quickly enough!
So I've learnt my lesson and added the under-gasket-cleaning as a part of my wash routine. From time to time I've also found pieces of fabric, clips, hooks and such lodged under the fold. An after-wash check helps in this regard too.

The additive dispenser section in the middle of the detergent dispenser is sometimes left full of water after wash for some reason (I never quite figured out why)! So I need to check this too after each wash, and drain it out if required. Even apart from this, at service centres I've seen how unattended detergent dispensers can look like after a while. Not for me!

So this additional cleaning routine after each wash is very much a part of my front-loader usage that I'd not have if I had a top-loader!

I suspect your usage is probably much more frequent (every day or every other day, perhaps?) than mine (once a week or even less). That is perhaps why you guys don't need after-each-wash kind of cleaning, but I do!
meerkat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2019, 10:54   #7215
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat View Post

I suspect your usage is probably much more frequent (every day or every other day, perhaps?) than mine (once a week or even less). That is perhaps why you guys don't need after-each-wash kind of cleaning, but I do!
Yes, my usage is almost daily. But obviously no harm in the disciplined cleaning you do.
What probably we all missed to point out is the fluff filter at the bottom of the front loader machine that we clean in a couple of months. Buttons, hooks and lint...all trapped here.

Regards.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks