Search this Thread
Old 14th February 2020, 04:24   #7546
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Crossposted in another thread but thought it might be more appropriate here

Maybe the best place to ask help!

Many apartments here in the US have electric cooking ranges. We moved to one that has cooking gas and it has been wonderful. We're able to use round-bottom vessels and the cooking time is much lesser too. However, I see that the grill above the gas burners are quite high. This ends up wasting gas and I am sure we can reduce the cooking time even more. Anyone faced similar issues or have any ideas on how to fix this?

I will post up pictures to show what I am talking about soon. As a quick jugaad, I turned the grill upside down and now it is very close to the burner and cooking time is lesser. But this is not an ideal solution as the grill sits at an angle when upside down.

My one idea was to put in a cylindrical steel piece under the burner (to make it higher) but not sure how safe it is to use it that way. Any other thoughts?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Too little clearance between burner and vessel causes a "whoosh" sound. So dont reduce it too much. You are better off finding replacement grills, with different height, if available.
Couldn't locate any replacement grills here. Spoke to a few friends who have the same issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Please post the photos! I'm confused!

Burners should be designed to give proper gas/air mixture and correct flame shape. Whatever is holding the pots should hold it them at the right height to be at the hot point (give or take for knob level) of the flame.

I would certainly not adapt the burner. It could be dangerous.
Yeah I am a little worried too but the waste of gas is irritating me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutsyGibbon View Post
Don't you have four different burners on the cooktop? You should have a big burner and a small burner. I assume you always pick the burner that is smaller than the vessel. You can buy a heat diffuser /flame guard simmer plate on Amazon. This helps with even heat distribution, and prevents hotspots, not sure about efficiency though.

In terms of efficiency the cooktop burner grate height is designed for safety and even heat distribution. The flame is hottest at the edge of the flame - right? I would not mess with the grate in search for efficiency. I know a case where a cheap Walmart vessel melted on a electric cooktop, and the firemen cited the resident for being irresponsible. US apartments are built out of paper and require extreme caution, so I would certainly not flip the grate or mess with it.
I think the grate is way too high. I've never seen it being so high in India. Posted pics.
Attached Thumbnails
The Home Appliance thread-img_20200114_131945.jpg  

The Home Appliance thread-img_20200114_131959.jpg  

The Home Appliance thread-img_20200114_132126.jpg  

The Home Appliance thread-img_20200114_132331.jpg  

The Home Appliance thread-img_20200114_132342.jpg  

The Home Appliance thread-img_20200114_132426.jpg  

Old 14th February 2020, 06:00   #7547
BHPian

Quote:
I think the grate is way too high. I've never seen it being so high in India. Posted pics.
Whoa, that is high! The grate we have at home sits pretty low. Amazon and other online stores seem to have a bunch of burner grates, have you considered ordering a few and return the ones that do not fit?
Old 14th February 2020, 07:21   #7548
Distinguished - BHPian

Sorry haven't gone through your issue in depth but recommend you don't fiddle with anything unless you check the hyperlocal fire code specific to your building, your building supervisor, neighbors, landlord or previous owner.

At least in the UK's crowded central business districts, NO mods are allowed at all to existing cooktops, gas ranges are not allowed and it's all electric. One of my Indian colleagues had bought a gas stove for his chapatis, and he was served with a mandatory severe penalty on a surprise inspection.

Maybe the manufacturer too? Do go through your rental contract and household insurance policy too if applicable.

Last edited by itwasntme : 14th February 2020 at 07:45.
Old 14th February 2020, 12:20   #7549
BHPian

Quote:
Almost 3 cm there! Reminded me of a popular Akbar-Birbal stories - the one with "Birbal Ki Kichidi!"

I guess one recourse in this case could be to have the flame always set at least on medium high. This will keep the flame high enough to reach that plane at about 3cm high.
Old 14th February 2020, 12:29   #7550
BHPian

I'm planning to get a new front loading washing machine. My house is an independent house with just a ground floor and the water tank just on the top.

My current washing machine is IFB Digital 7 model from 2009. When I finalised this model in 2009, I was specifically told about the pressure requirements and asked about the floor where I stay. At that time I stayed in an apt in 3rd floor and the tank used to be somewhere at 6th floor height(just for reference) and I had no issues at all.

In 2015,i moved to the current house in a different city and from then I started to have issues with IFB machine. Had made some adjustments to the water line and it works sometimes and doesn't work other times. When it doesn't work it goes into pause mode and we need to pour water into the detergent tray either in the beginning or during rinse time.

I know we can over come this by installing a pressure booster pump. But still want to know if the current gen machines work without the pump and with existing setup.

Most of the manuals speak of pressure in bar. I just want to know the water flow in terms of litres per minute to verify if it is fine with current setup or do I need to install a pressure booster pump.

Last edited by vvrchandra : 14th February 2020 at 12:31.
Old 14th February 2020, 12:53   #7551
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvrchandra View Post
I'm planning ...My current washing machine is IFB Digital 7 model from 2009....I know we can over come this by installing a pressure booster pump...Most of the manuals speak of pressure in bar. I just want to know the water flow in terms of litres per minute
I am attaching the manual of the machine that i am assuming that you are using. In page 19/26 , it says that you need between 1 - 10 atm of water pressure for satisfactory operation. It also gives you a useful data : 1atm = min 8 lpm. Btw, 1atm = 1bar ( approx ).

The problem i think is that your machine is located in an area where when the water reaches , after passing through a lot of bends, does not have enough pressure as specified in the manual.

I would suggest that you have a buffer tank of sufficient capacity placed at a suitable height above the machine which would provide you with sufficient flow.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf DIGITAL 7 KGS.pdf (5.36 MB, 243 views)

Last edited by srini1785 : 14th February 2020 at 13:17.
Old 14th February 2020, 15:34   #7552
BANNED

My Samsung front loader and the "IFB lemon" before had suction pumps. Do bends really reduce water pressure? Maybe clogged plumbing?
Old 14th February 2020, 17:39   #7553
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvrchandra View Post
I'm planning to get a new front loading washing machine. My house is an independent house with just a ground floor and the water tank just on the top.

In 2015,i moved to the current house in a different city and from then I started to have issues with IFB machine. Had made some adjustments to the water line and it works sometimes and doesn't work other times. When it doesn't work it goes into pause mode and we need to pour water into the detergent tray either in the beginning or during rinse time.

I know we can over come this by installing a pressure booster pump. But still want to know if the current gen machines work without the pump and with existing setup.

Most of the manuals speak of pressure in bar. I just want to know the water flow in terms of litres per minute to verify if it is fine with current setup or do I need to install a pressure booster pump.
In our case also the tank is 1 1/2 floors above the washing machine, and both our IFB and now LG work fine. Replacing the washing machine just die to water pressure problems is not a very prudent step to take, especially if your current machine works fine.

Your problem may be due to excessive loss in the lines. The best option you have is to run a dedicated water line from the overhead tank to the washing machine inlet. Terminate the line with a tap so that you can control the outlet. If the route is complicated then run a 25mm pipe instead of the normal 12mm/18mm., that will reduce the pressure drop. You can also use UPVC pipes instead of GI.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 14th February 2020 at 18:42. Reason: Typos.
Old 14th February 2020, 19:45   #7554
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutsyGibbon View Post
Whoa, that is high! The grate we have at home sits pretty low. Amazon and other online stores seem to have a bunch of burner grates, have you considered ordering a few and return the ones that do not fit?
Yes, that is insanely high. Seems these are commercial kitchen style grates. Yeah I did see some but did not spend time doing some research on them. Need to check their specs and purchase a few that will seem the best fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Sorry haven't gone through your issue in depth but recommend you don't fiddle with anything unless you check the hyperlocal fire code specific to your building, your building supervisor, neighbors, landlord or previous owner.
Yeah need to check the building insurance. I really don't want to mess the burners but this grate height is just insane!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyata View Post
Almost 3 cm there! Reminded me of a popular Akbar-Birbal stories - the one with "Birbal Ki Kichidi!"

I guess one recourse in this case could be to have the flame always set at least on medium high. This will keep the flame high enough to reach that plane at about 3cm high.
Well, the cooking does get done but I feel it takes a bit longer and surely wastes gas too - the handles of all the vessels become so hot that you have to use gloves. I think that is such a waste of energy.
Old 14th February 2020, 20:24   #7555
BHPian

Does your microwave turntable dance both ways?!

Hi friends,

A strange query, -- I'm flummoxed by the behaviour of the turntable in my new Samsung MWO -- Sometimes it turns clockwise, at other times anticlockwise! I don't know yet how to predict which way it would turn when! Also, the rotation is not quite smooth, -- it keeps pausing momentarily before moving on again (this latter behaviour has been reported by others too)!

Are these normal behaviour for turntables in Samsung microwave ovens, or in general? Do I need to worry, and seek service? Thanks.

I must admit, in spite of having used microwave ovens for well over three decades, I have little experience with ones having turntables! My previous one, a GE, served me well for 30 years (believe it or not)! It had a mode stirrer, and produced uniform cooking, with no hot spots. I was quite surprised to find that I have to be careful about hot spots with my not-very-cheap modern Samsung "Smart Oven" with a turntable!
Old 14th February 2020, 22:41   #7556
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Does your microwave turntable dance both ways?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat View Post
Hi friends,

A strange query, -- I'm flummoxed by the behaviour of the turntable in my new Samsung MWO -- Sometimes it turns clockwise, at other times anticlockwise!
I haven't noticed with my current LG oven, but I have seen this in the past, and would not be surprised. I think you can consider it normal. Would you want to predict it?

I would like to have a microwave without a turntable. I think Panasonic make one, but I can't find it available. They spray the microwaves around instead of turning the food. (Or something like that!)

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 14th February 2020 at 22:43.
Old 14th February 2020, 23:10   #7557
BHPian

Quote:
Sometimes it turns clockwise, at other times anticlockwise! I don't know yet how to predict which way it would turn when! Also, the rotation is not quite smooth, -- it keeps pausing momentarily before moving on again (this latter behaviour has been reported by others too)!
As long the switch between CW and CCW for the turntable rotation does not happen within a given run cycle, this is totally acceptable. Not very uncommon. The relative AC phase in some motors can do that.

The CW and CCW rotations can occur in independent start/stop cycles.

I have seen momentary pauses too. If the pauses are consistent across the complete rotation, should be no cause to worry. However, if there are visible jerks in rotation, that may require some looking into.
Old 15th February 2020, 07:31   #7558
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi friends,

A strange query, -- I'm flummoxed by the behaviour of the turntable in my new Samsung MWO -- Sometimes it turns clockwise, at other times anticlockwise! I don't know yet how to predict which way it would turn when! Also, the rotation is not quite smooth, -- it keeps pausing momentarily before moving on again (this latter behaviour has been reported by others too)!

Are these normal behaviour for turntables in Samsung microwave ovens, or in general? Do I need to worry, and seek service? Thanks.
Even our new LG high end oven behaves the same way. It has a mind of its own on when it will turn the table CW or CCW. And that mild steppy movement is also present. Guess it's something that the manufacturers have discovered will help with cooking and have designed it that way. I have faced no problem with cooking though.
Old 15th February 2020, 08:38   #7559
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Guess it's something that the manufacturers have discovered will help with cooking and have designed it that way. I have faced no problem with cooking though.

With new LGs, I no longer trust them. I had a LG top washing machine for 12 years which was always in my bathroom & it worked just fine. Then I got a new LG top loader. Now the new one apparently isn't designed to work in humid conditions. I get a small shock when I touch parts of the plastic (like the soap tray) - it's brain dead design to make a washing machine which isn't 100% water proof. And LG knows how to make one - my previous washing machine is proof of that. Just that they chose not to make one. When I had to replace my Sharp Microwave a few months back, I chose a Samsung (my usual first preference used to be LG before for all home appliances).
Old 15th February 2020, 10:05   #7560
Distinguished - BHPian

It depends on where the motor stopped in the previous cycle. An AC synchronous motor can rotate any side given the one which has stronger magnetic induction and this is dictated by the position at which the last cycle stopped. And since the direction doesn't matter in an oven, manufacturers don't bother about employing techniques to make the turntable turn to any specific direction every time.

Most Viewed