Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2020, 08:10   #7771
BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

My old collection, Boombox Panasonic RX-5350 needs some repairs. Although I have much better and high end Music Systems, I still love my '82 purchase. It's Tuner section is not functioning. Unlike the modern day's electronics, it is not digital. Probably the Rotary Band Selector and the Toggle switches need clean up. When I shift their positions, it shows as if the internal contacts are not clean. Though I have used it as Amplifier in the past, hooking 'Line In' from CD / USB Player, I need to have it in fully working condition.
ebay shows a good value for similar pieces and I may put it up there in USA.
Please suggest somebody who can do the job satisfactorily.

The Home Appliance thread-14.jpg

Thanks in advance
Amrik Singh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st May 2020, 09:54   #7772
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bottom Freezer Refrigerator?

Panasonic is the best in Refrigerators. We have the same spec fridge for eight years now (bottom freezer), not a whimper. Zero maintenance. Not sure about the inverter part though (if the new models have), you'll have to check. Just don't buy Haier
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
My sister is looking for around 300L+ bottom freezer, frost-free, invertor refrigerator in Mumbai Western Suburb.There are 4 adults at home. For some reason, they would NOT want 'samsung' models.Please advise!
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2020, 10:38   #7773
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amrik Singh View Post
My old collection, Boombox Panasonic RX-5350 needs some repairs. Although I have much better and high end Music Systems, I still love my '82 purchase. It's Tuner section is not functioning. Unlike the modern day's electronics, it is not digital. Probably the Rotary Band Selector and the Toggle switches need clean up. When I shift their positions, it shows as if the internal contacts are not clean. Though I have used it as Amplifier in the past, hooking 'Line In' from CD / USB Player, I need to have it in fully working condition.
ebay shows a good value for similar pieces and I may put it up there in USA.

Thanks in advance
Your best bet is local repair shops who repair old TV's and Radio's. You will usually find such shops in the 'middle class' area in your city. You may want to check in such areas.
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2020, 10:39   #7774
BHPian

Re: Bottom Freezer Refrigerator?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
My sister is looking for around 300L+ bottom freezer, frost-free, invertor refrigerator in Mumbai Western Suburb.
There are 4 adults at home. For some reason, they would NOT want 'samsung' models.

Please advise!
If it was not for the requirement of having a bottom freezer, your sister would have been spoilt for choices in this category. Alas, the issue here is that there are not many options in 300L+ bottom freezer category unless you are ok to go with lesser known brands such as Haier, Mitashi or Panasonic. This is assuming she wants to stay near by 300L (say 300L- 360L). If she can go beyond 400L then the choices will increase.

Other than Samsung, we had explored LG and found the internal space management to be better in Samsung than in LG. So it is recommended to visit any showrooms with two objectives:

1) Take measuring tape with you to measure outer dimensions of the fridge that they buyer may like. This is to ensure that it will fit in at the place designated for it at the house (including 1-2 inches of space that has to be left as buffer from walls)
2) See the internal space management as per desired items that will be in it. We keep large vessels in the fridge for holding milk. Samsung was better suited for us here as compared to LG. Hitachi had a very good model but it was expensive and also a bit larger in size when compared to Samsung/LG.

My friends have had Whirlpool and they didn't face any issues with it.

About buying from showroom or online - They are nearly the same. Most sellers online are the same guys who own those showrooms - Snehanjali, Kohinoor, Vijay Sales, Large dealers, etc. So I feel it is better to buy from local showroom or dealer as the prices are nearly the same.

The only advantage online buying has (or rather had when I bought mine) was the points on my CC. Locals prefer cash/cheque. But that allowed me to bargain harder and get a better deal from them.

Last edited by sunilch : 21st May 2020 at 10:40.
sunilch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2020, 10:49   #7775
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Your best bet is local repair shops who repair old TV's and Radio's. You will usually find such shops in the 'middle class' area in your city. You may want to check in such areas.
Gone are the days when Technicians of this caliber were around. Now they only understand how to replace Cards in TV. Some specialize in repair only of these Cards.
And I do not want to give it any ordinary shop who stack their items without consideration of damage to other equipment.
Old 21st May 2020, 10:55   #7776
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Gone are the days when Technicians of this caliber were around. Now they only understand how to replace Cards in TV. Some specialize in repair only of these Cards.
And I do not want to give it any ordinary shop who stack their items without consideration of damage to other equipment.
Well, we have such shops nearby my place where we get our old stuff repaired. Hence the suggestion
sagarpadaki is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st May 2020, 11:58   #7777
BHPian

Quote:
My old collection, Boombox Panasonic RX-5350 needs some repairs.
Nice set. I have something similar : General MG345 boombox

The Home Appliance thread-generalmg345raretriplestereoradiocassetterecorderboombox0.jpg
(This image is of similar one from net)

When i found it , it was in a pretty bad shape. Now i have 3D printed the broken buttons, soldered the loose connections but its hard to find spares for these tape players and even harder to find someone who is willing to repair it. Local shops which repair Tube TV's don't take tape players. Anyway, i am soldering on with DIY for now.
srini1785 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st May 2020, 12:13   #7778
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srini1785 View Post
Nice set. I have something similar : General MG345 boombox

Attachment 2008480
A Gem of a piece. Hope all is fully functional

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 21st May 2020 at 16:05. Reason: Only two emoticons per post please. Thanks.
Old 21st May 2020, 12:31   #7779
BHPian

Quote:
A Gem of a piece. Hope all is fully functional
2 out of the three decks worked but have problems while spinning. The belt simply comes off. I have tried all belt length combinations. Only a good technician would be able to figure it out. The radio worked for sometime. Now that has also stopped. Some issue with power supply board.
srini1785 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2020, 13:21   #7780
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srini1785 View Post
The belt simply comes off.
If you are done with basic troubleshooting regarding belt-off issue, also check the flywheel capstan. Sometimes even a minor bend in the spindle of the flywheel is enough to take the belts off instantly.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2020, 17:15   #7781
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Gone are the days when Technicians of this caliber were around. ...
Chennai audiophiles know the name Sayeed. Working in a general electrical repair business associated with a branch of Philips, he was also readily trusted with multi-thousand-USD equipment. He has repaired amplifiers and tape decks for me; he even soldered new batteries for my old Philips shaver.

He had wanted to retire for some time: yesterday he let me know that he is no longer working there.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 21st May 2020, 17:35   #7782
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
He had wanted to retire for some time: yesterday he let me know that he is no longer working there.
Thanks for information, but
1. I am in New Delhi
2. Please provide contact details of this person so that I can discuss the issues.

Thanks / Regards
Amrik Singh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2020, 19:55   #7783
Senior - BHPian

Guys, my parents are in bad need of a good mixie. I was looking at Panasonic AC MX-AC400 on Amazon. Are they any good, any other brands and model numbers?
Old 21st May 2020, 20:22   #7784
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Guys, my parents are in bad need of a good mixie. I was looking at Panasonic AC MX-AC400 on Amazon. Are they any good, any other brands and model numbers?
We have been using the Panasonic MX-AC400 mixie since 4 years and have not faced many problems with it and works fine. Even the problem which was once faced was solved by the service center for free of cost as it was under warranty.
Sahilrai166 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2020, 20:32   #7785
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

You can try the local ham (amateur) radio club who might be able to point you in the right direction. If you are not able to find any club member, PM me, will ask my contacts.
Jaguar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks