Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2020, 17:53   #8371
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Like NPV & others, after a long run with a Faber in-built hob, we got another one - but a free-standing unit. But it's already lost it's ignition function soon after the warranty expired.

Recently we needed another hob, so got an Elica free-standing unit. This one has been good. Only mistake was taking the smaller size unit (was considering the width of the kitchen top).
Old 24th November 2020, 20:16   #8372
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolRider View Post
I am one of the few who got a Bosch Dishwasher (DW) in pandemic time without any pandemic cess.
Ideally in India one pays up a brand premium with LG/Samsung. But as someone mentioned, if Bosch and LG are at similar price bracket, you are free to pick up anything you want. Service wise, Bosch has good service presence in Metros and big cities as per my experience with my 10 years old WM. By the way, Bosch DWs are imported from Turkey as of now.
Just remember, more to machine, the supplies play more crucial role in cleaning. Please use better quality detergent and rinse-aid.

I think we were probably about 40-45 days late in realising we needed a dishwasher! Few of my friends and people in my apartment society got Bosch dishwashers for around 32-40k depending on the model, around April, May. We booked in June and imagine after 5 months we still dont have one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadya View Post
LG - we should be able to source for about 48-49k with discounts and cash backs put together(in chennai we got it to about 45k). Regarding reset of the cycle we went through multiple technicians and the trainer from the LG service explained that it would reset to the nearest reset point - namely wash, rinse or steam etc., not the entire cycle. DM me if you are interested I would get you in touch with some very good sales people(for both LG/Bosch)

Bangalore prices seem to be quite high across all dealers. I spoke to almost all the official LG Shopee dealers and whoever had stock quoted 59k. This is for the model DFDWFP, silver colour. I guess the white colour costs lesser, but no stocks of that anywhere. I have booked one for 59k, delivery scheduled for this week. I stand to gain a cash back of around 7k, making the effective price at around 53k. Thats at least 10k more than the 13 plate setting Bosch model I booked way back in June! But I think there isnt any option right now, so it is what it is.
Old 25th November 2020, 12:51   #8373
Senior - BHPian

For our new house for the following appliances:

Washing machine: IFB Senator WXS 8.0 kgs
Source: Amazon
Price: 25.3K (After 5K exchange, 2.5K Amazon discount, 1.5K Credit card discount)

Wanted to get the LG but the IFB price was too irresistible. Have started using the WM and it does what it says on the tin. Fortunately, we got a Nov 20 manufactured piece.

For the kitchen appliances we decided to stick to Faber as we have a good experience with them. Croma offered much better rates than Amazon.

Built in Oven: FABER FBIO 80L 6F
Source: Croma
Price: Around 32K (after a lot of haggling)

Hobb: Faber Utopia HT 903 BR CI
Price: Around 21k (again a lot of haggling)

Chimney: Faber Crest Plus HC SC BK 90
Price: Around 14K

These appliances will be delivered over the weekend.
Old 25th November 2020, 22:36   #8374
BHPian

Hey Guys, any recommendations on a good all in one microwave?

I am looking at the following options:

1. https://www.ifbappliances.com/produc...ction/25bcsdd1

2. https://www.amazon.in/dp/B01LVW04YK/..._HvNVFbRS2RDA5

your views please?

Cheers!
Old 26th November 2020, 06:49   #8375
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive_angry View Post
Go for this. Been using it for a couple of months now without any issues whatsoever. Best bang for the buck in terms of features and capacity.

Last edited by roamer012 : 26th November 2020 at 07:02.
roamer012 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2020, 07:12   #8376
BHPian

Quote:
You can't go wrong with LG or Samsung, make sure that the user interface is easy to use and the interior is easy to clean. Avoid dark interiors. I like the LG one touch microwaving operation - just one button push to microwave for 30 seconds. The same operation requires 2 pushes on the older Samsung and the first push registers after a delay (yeah, I'm spoilt ). I'm sure the newer Samsungs have better ergonomics. You may want to check the minimum and maximum temperatures on convection mode also. You should ask for a demo of all the features before you make your decision, all!
mvadg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2020, 07:36   #8377
Senior - BHPian

If you get an imported Sharp or Panasonic, go for it. The Sharp lasted a decade and we got a new one out of sheer boredom.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
You may want to check the minimum and maximum temperatures on convection mode also. You should ask for a demo of all the features before you make your decision, all!
Attached Images

Sebring is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th November 2020, 09:51   #8378
BANNED

Quote:
Your budget and size you are looking at?

I may not able to suggest you Samsung as my last 2 Samsung appliances had been pure lemons including 3 year old microwave now doing a duty of storing groceries. To be politically correct, lemons being lemons, which may point to some pathetic service handling, may not put entire company as bad.

My Mom's LG 28 litter one is still going strong after 8 years. I used to own a Godrej, which had 2 megaton failure in 1st 3 years (till I had warranty). Currently I own a 29 litter Panasonic CT64HB.

I am using my current Panasonic for last 4 months. It is too early to say anything regarding long term durability, but I can strongly recommend it for its baking options which I had extensively used during lock down. Pretty much happy with Panasonic till now and overall Panasonic service is good at my location (Pune).

If you are looking at IFB, you might give a look at Bosch. As far as I remember, Bosch has 1200 watt for microwave mode while others have up to 900.

Happy purchasing.
PetrolRider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2020, 10:21   #8379
BHPian

Quote:
...I may not able to suggest you Samsung as my last 2 Samsung appliances had been pure lemons including 3 year old microwave now doing a duty of storing groceries. To be politically correct, lemons being lemons, which may point to some pathetic service handling, may not put entire company as bad...
You can't go wrong with Samsung. Try a different service center, and your lemons will turn apples! The cost isn't prohibitive either.
Old 26th November 2020, 11:17   #8380
BHPian

Thanks guys for your quick response! much appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamer012 View Post
Go for this. Been using it for a couple of months now without any issues whatsoever. Best bang for the buck in terms of features and capacity.
The link doesn't seem to be working foe me but judging from the link text, it seems like you are talking about the following product

https://www.amazon.in/Samsung-Convec...s%2C300&sr=8-3

A quick question what is the difference between a rotisserie convection microwave and a normal one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
You can't go wrong with LG or Samsung, make sure that the user interface is easy to use and the interior is easy to clean. Avoid dark interiors. I like the LG one touch microwaving operation - just one button push to microwave for 30 seconds. The same operation requires 2 pushes on the older Samsung and the first push registers after a delay (yeah, I'm spoilt ). I'm sure the newer Samsungs have better ergonomics. You may want to check the minimum and maximum temperatures on convection mode also. You should ask for a demo of all the features before you make your decision, all!
Thanks for the useful tips. I agree with you sir, with so many positive reviews on the internet, I am leaning towards Samsung (I too had a Samsung microwave that lasted for 15 years without having it serviced even once). I recently got an IFB Senator washing machine and I am mighty impressed with it so I thought to explore IFB range of microwaves as well and hence was confused between the IFB models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
If you get an imported Sharp or Panasonic, go for it. The Sharp lasted a decade and we got a new one out of sheer boredom.
haha.. like Sharp air purifier, your Sharp Microwave is also not letting you down it seems I will check with my dealer if he can source one for me or has an inventory lying about. Thanks!

Quote:
Your budget and size you are looking at?

I am using my current Panasonic for last 4 months. It is too early to say anything regarding long term durability, but I can strongly recommend it for its baking options which I had extensively used during lock down. Pretty much happy with Panasonic till now and overall Panasonic service is good at my location (Pune).

If you are looking at IFB, you might give a look at Bosch. As far as I remember, Bosch has 1200 watt for microwave mode while others have up to 900.

Happy purchasing.
Thanks Sir, I will give Bosch and Panasonic a look as well. I have a budget of about 20K and a capacity of about 20 to 25L
drive_angry is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2020, 11:22   #8381
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
I had a Sharp which lasted for 15 years. It was a 30 litre one which I bought for 50$. And lasted for 15 years with no problem. It's was still in great condition, but the step down transformer I was using it with got busted & a new transformer would cost 6k or 7k & hence I got a new microwave which cost less than that & was enough for my needs.
carboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2020, 11:59   #8382
BHPian

Quote:
The link doesn't seem to be working foe me but judging from the link text, it seems like you are talking about the following product
https://www.amazon.in/Samsung-Convec...s%2C300&sr=8-3
A quick question what is the difference between a rotisserie convection microwave and a normal one?
Yup, that's the one. Rotisserie will give you the option of 360 rotating rod type contraption (In horizontal and vertical axis) for things like kebabs etc. This type of microwaves usually have special attachments and placeholders on sidewalls to accommodate them.

Quote:
Thanks Sir, I will give Bosch and Panasonic a look as well. I have a budget of about 20K and a capacity of about 20 to 25L
Budget of 20K for 20-25 L capacity would be an overkill. Before finalizing the capacity, I would advise you to look at your use cases / must have features and then look for maximum capacity in your given budget with those features unless their is space constraint.
In my case, prime use was for heating / reheating followed by occasional (once or twice a month) baking and no use for making dishes like tikkas etc. which would have required a rotating grill kind of functionality. However what I had observed was that microwaves smaller than 28 L capacity had issues with accommodating usual utensils and vessels so I finalized on 32L Samsung which came under 13K. Also be wary of the touch panel / physical buttons debate. I have seen touch panels working for over 10 years and physical buttons failing in lesser time. Nevertheless physical buttons are much better in terms of tactile feel and over all usage.
roamer012 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2020, 16:18   #8383
Senior - BHPian

Today the water heater remained on for a long time and suddenly we noticed water pouring out from an opening in the bottom. I switched off immediately and closed the outlet valve, upon which the water stopped. But whenever I try to open it the water starts pouring again. I guess the thermostat failed and some kind of safety mechanism kicked in. What should be done now?

It is a Venus 20 litre storage type heater. Heating element was replaced about eight years ago.
Old 26th November 2020, 16:32   #8384
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Today the water heater remained on for a long time and suddenly we noticed water pouring out from an opening in the bottom. I switched off immediately and closed the outlet valve, upon which the water stopped. But whenever I try to open it the water starts pouring again. I guess the thermostat failed and some kind of safety mechanism kicked in. What should be done now?

It is a Venus 20 litre storage type heater. Heating element was replaced about eight years ago.
There is usually a pressure release valve ( Safety valve ) at the outlet which acts to remove the excess steam in case of water blockage. There is also a overflow pipe which conducts excess water out of the heating chamber. It could be that the level float has failed and excess water is draining out.

Last edited by srini1785 : 26th November 2020 at 16:38.
Old 26th November 2020, 17:37   #8385
BANNED

Quote:
Thanks guys for your quick response! much appreciated
haha.. like Sharp air purifier, your Sharp Microwave is also not letting you down it seems I will check with my dealer if he can source one for me or has an inventory lying about. Thanks!
Sharp is a pioneer in house-hold microwave, though not fancy and mostly seem outdated now. Ironically, modern household microwaves with the turn table was actually invented by Sharp in the 60s.
If you are looking for pure microwave, 20-25 litter is good, but for combi and grill functionality look for 28 litter or more. Also, if you are more to grill and baking give a little more attention to grill positions and cavity material. A back mounted grill along with top mounted one goes very well with baking and grill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPS_Guru View Post
You can't go wrong with Samsung. Try a different service center, and your lemons will turn apples! The cost isn't prohibitive either.
Yes, you can sir. Lemons are called lemon, because with the best service centers and best mechanics, one can't turn them to apple. It all matters to owning up the issue and provide an alternate solution to customer.
A product that shown major critical issues on day 3 can be handled with "Let's replace the product or the problematic part for you" or whitewashing and hiding the real issue to customer every now and then when the problem arises and then after the warranty period is over presenting with a $$$ estimation.
I have seen both kind of Companies, unfortunately Samsung home appliance falling under the latter category. A company is judged on how they manages the failure rather how they celebrates success. In T-Bhp language, not every Skoda car out there has issues, but we know when problem arises, they are not the best one out there.
I knew, bashing Samsung akin to bashing Maruti, I'll get a lot of brickbats. My "politically correct" statement was posted there for the same reason. I am not forcing OP not to buy Samsung, I am just putting here my experience which I believe might help someone.
PetrolRider is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed