Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2021, 23:03   #9136
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfsnare24 View Post
We’ve bought a Liebherr TDcs 3565 last year, and we’ve been facing one major issue all throughout the Mumbai monsoon session.
Wow, first-hand experience, and of the relevant model. Amazing! Thanks to you... and to Team-BHP

Quote:
The freezer-to-fridge vents are very narrow, not just in the top->bottom ducting but also within the back of the freezer itself. What this does during high humidity times (i.e. 1/3rd of the year) is the condensation within the vents freezes, blocking the entire airflow.
I understood from the sales blurb that fridge and freezer have separate cooling?

Thus, the freezer is a proper freezer, with temperatures well below zero.

Quote:
Putting this point across to show that Liebherr might be amazing in Europe, but their design philosophies just do not work well here in our soup-like thick and humid air.
Part of what I think they call the service code for your fridge indicates the climate that it is made for. I realised this only because my fridge (small under-counter unit, but it still had a real freezer, not an ice box) never worked that well in India. It was made for "temperate climate. Could you check this out?

Also, I am unable to get a copy of the user manual without entering that code. I do like to read the manual rather than the sales material before buying an appliance or gadget. Liebherr don't seem to want me to! I'd be so happy if you could get me the pdf, please.

Anyway, other car-related costs are rearing their heads, and I think the fridge idea will have to be... put on ice
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2021, 00:06   #9137
BHPian

Re: Instant Water Heater?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
I am looking for instant water heater for my home in B'lore which has solar water heater installed. At times, coz of the cloud cover we do NOT get sufficiently warm water and hence to compensate the same would like to run the solar water through a instant water heater. NOT keen on storage water heaters, as am running the solar water through them.

So, now I got to know that they come in 1L and 3L capacities and the power rating remains the same at 3KW.

1. What's the pros and cons of selecting between 1L and 3L?
2. What model/brands are reliable?

Please advise!
I have a 3L unit working in a similar fashion. I have connected it right next to solar heater and this is working well so all bath rooms can leverage the heater.

The only difference between the 3L and 1L is that the 3L one has more buffer - meaning, when you start to draw water, it quickly starts getting in new water and in rainy seasons the solar heater would heat it to about 25 to 30deg. Normally, these instant heaters heat to about 70 degrees or so. So the main job of the heater is to heat from 30/40 to 70. Both 1L and 3L does the job. 3L will take a minute more to heat up, but will probably give a more consistent temperature while the 1L may heat faster but May have a less constant temperature.

The problem though I find is that, all of these instant heaters come with a small flexible piped inlet/outlet. This reduces pressure especially if it has to feed 2 bathrooms at the same time. This usecase works, but not very well. You might want to check if there is a geyser that can support a higher flow rate (thicker inlet and outlet).
deep_bang is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2021, 00:06   #9138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I understood from the sales blurb that fridge and freezer have separate cooling?

"temperate climate. Could you check this out?

I'd be so happy if you could get me the pdf, please.

Anyway, other car-related costs are rearing their heads, and I think the fridge idea will have to be... put on ice
The way the dahi bacteria in my fridge grow several generations in a day on vent blockage, it’s definitely not separate cooling. Also from a mechanical point of view, I don’t think there are many (or any) models in india with separate top and bottom half cooling circuits. It’d be like a car with two engines - one for each axle, instead of a simple FWD concept where all of the work is done just for one half, and we let gravity/friction/Newton’s laws do the rest!

I’ll get back home in a couple days and scan my printed manual and upload it here. Hopefully that’ll help you, although my recommendation would be not to go for it as of now, it’s more headache than it’s worth.

Your joke was…super cool
wolfsnare24 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2021, 12:09   #9139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also from a mechanical point of view, I don’t think there are many (or any) models in india with separate top and bottom half cooling circuits. ................

Your joke was…super cool
Long long ago, Alwin had a 300+L refrigerator with two compressors. So I guess that is not such a rare thing.

Refrigerators specifically designed for hot tropical climate will in general have a better(thicker) insulation and a larger compressor to take care of the larger heat differential.
Old 4th November 2021, 19:56   #9140
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I’ll get back home in a couple days and scan my printed manual and upload it here. Hopefully that’ll help you, although my recommendation would be not to go for it as of now, it’s more headache than it’s worth.

Your joke was…super cool
Wow, thanks, wolfsnare24! (and thanks for your chilled reaction to my humour ).

I wasn't expecting dual compressors. I'll have to read the blurb again, I seem to remember some feature called "dual cooling"

My little Leibherr fridge (a designed shared with Bosch) had only one compressor, but it had a freezer compartment that was full-on freezer, like -15C. Good insulation, and its own proper internal door. My current Whirlpool certainly freezes stuff, but not to solid-ice-cream levels that make one confident about keeping food for longer periods. Which to me, is what a freezer is about.

Anyway, you know how it is here, when someone has their heart set on a car, and everyone says, "whoa, maybe you shouldn't!" and they buy it anyway. But I'm taking your advice to heart, at least for now!
Old 5th November 2021, 12:03   #9141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Anyway, you know how it is here, when someone has their heart set on a car, and everyone says, "whoa, maybe you shouldn't!" and they buy it anyway. But I'm taking your advice to heart, at least for now!
Hahaha! Liebherr is probably the Skoda of refrigerators, absolutely banging models and you’re drawn to it in your heart for some inexplicable reason, but you know you’d have to become very close friends with the mechanics
wolfsnare24 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2021, 12:53   #9142
Senior - BHPian

Saw a centipede inside our dishwasher last night! Gave my wife a bad fright (she had a bad experience getting bitten by a centipede years back).

Could they have come in through the drain pipe?
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2021, 15:09   #9143
Senior - BHPian

@ deathwalkr No, it cannot come through the drain pipe as there is a fine drain filter on all the dishwashers.

Last edited by tj123 : 6th November 2021 at 15:10. Reason: typo
tj123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2021, 18:31   #9144
BHPian

What are the drawbacks of having a bottom freezer? Have shortlisted a Samsung 580L refrigerator to replace an aging (electricity guzzling) refrigerator, but it has a bottom freezer. Don't want to get the traditional side-by-side because we don't want to waste about half the space on a freezer. We store a lot of fish and meat and deli, yet reserving one full side for it seems to be overkill.

This is the model in question: https://www.flipkart.com/samsung-580...m7119d81e6ee66
Old 7th November 2021, 21:14   #9145
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire View Post
What are the drawbacks of having a bottom freezer? Have shortlisted a Samsung 580L refrigerator to replace an aging (electricity guzzling) refrigerator, but it has a bottom freezer. Don't want to get the traditional side-by-side because we don't want to waste about half the space on a freezer. We store a lot of fish and meat and deli, yet reserving one full side for it seems to be overkill.

This is the model in question: https://www.flipkart.com/samsung-580...m7119d81e6ee66
Using a bottom freezer since last 10 years. If at all, I can only see its advantages. You’ll love the concept and think why we ever had freezers at top to begin with. Your back will thank you as well.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2021, 10:27   #9146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire View Post

Since we are on the lookout for a refrigerator, I have seen this model. In a typical 2-door bottom freezer refrigerator, the drawback is, to reach the freezer section you have to bend/sit & access the section . The model RF57A5032S9 from Samsung solves this problem with a 3-door bottom freezer configuration. You can view the full freezer section while standing. Note that this is a convertible model and the freezer section can be converted to a fridge. If you don't convert, you will get a net of around 120 liters of freezer space.
msdivy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2021, 08:26   #9147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Could they have come in through the drain pipe?
For something as large as a centipede I would reckon it found its way into the appliance when it was in a much smaller form - like a larva. Both, our new Bosch and our old IFB (rebadged Beko) have had a double level filter, one for coarse particles and one for the finer ones. I'm not sure whether it works in reverse configuration.

Our dishwasher has been sharing a drain with the sink - and I do remember brown dishwater backing up into the bottom of the tub when the sink drain got clogged.

There exists a device called an 'air gap' to prevent this, but the sinks we get in India aren't designed to accommodate it. It prevents anything from backing up from the drain to the dishwasher and vice versa.

You could consider acquiring one and having the necessary drilling performed at your own risk.
The Home Appliance thread-p144cdishwasherairgapoperation.jpg

Your best alternative is a so-called 'high loop' (which is what we have now done), it's still below the flood line of the sink so things could back up sometimes but it's better than nothing because you'll notice the sink filling up before things start backing up. But it doesn't separate the dishwasher's drain hose from the drain system physically so solid objects could find their way into your machine.
Name:  DishwasherDrainLoopDiagram.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  41.8 KB

Of course if you have a freestanding installation then there exists no such option. You could consider tying the drain hose to the small hook near the top of the back of most dishwashers, but I'm not sure how effective that will be.
ron178 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2021, 09:27   #9148
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Have question about rewinding the coil in a fan etc. When fans get old & don't run properly, the electricians take the it to get it rewound.

A friend of mine who works in the electrical field said that this is usually a scam & the equipment required for rewinding is not available with most local repair shops & they do so manual stuff to get it working just enough.

Is this true? If yes, then what is the way to get the rewinding done right?
Old 15th November 2021, 17:13   #9149
Distinguished - BHPian

I don't think it is true. There is a shop near here that has a winding machine. I've never seen how they use it, though.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2021, 17:30   #9150
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Have question about rewinding the coil in a fan etc. When fans get old & don't run properly, the electricians take the it to get it rewound.

A friend of mine who works in the electrical field said that this is usually a scam & the equipment required for rewinding is not available with most local repair shops & they do so manual stuff to get it working just enough.

Is this true? If yes, then what is the way to get the rewinding done right?
Though I haven't myself seen it done thoroughly enough to understand it fully, but I have seen these shops that Thad talks about and these machines also have a counter to keep track of the 'rounds' of winding on a coil.
saket77 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks