Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2007, 10:58   #31
BANNED

with your budget i would go for the IFB. very stable & troublefree.
second option would be the whirlpool top loading ( with agitator )
Old 1st November 2007, 11:02   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

IFB used to sell Bosch machines earlier but now it is on its own. The old Bosch IFBs were fantastic. I don't know about the new ones. I have a Siemens one which has been pretty good for the last 4 years.
Old 2nd November 2007, 15:07   #33
BHPian

I too will be looking to upgrade my W/M and Fridge soon. They are IFB Senorita and LG 210 ltr(both 6 years old). Fridge works perfectly so far and for W/M I had to change the main belt recently. No other issues than capacity contraints for a growing family!

Recently happened to see some interesting fridges from Godrej. Very innovative designs with attactice colour themes both in and out. Not sure if they will hold the ground against the onslaught of foreign mfrs. Regarding W/Ms I think IFB is still the safest bet.

Another thing that is missing in our kitchen is a microwave. I never felt that it adds value in Indian cooking. But now things are changing slowly with time-factor pinching hard. So looking for suggestions on the same as well. Used to have a GE model while in US, but not sure of the good ones here.

Most of the M/w models available in the market looks quite awkward for me however. Only IFB models have somewhat decent designs. Korean microwaves looked more like some advanced gaming console. May not fit well with our kitchen decor.
Old 3rd November 2007, 14:59   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by psynaps3 View Post
Hi,

Would like some suggestions on which full automatic front loading washing machine to get for home... load: 6kgs.. budget: 20k

As of now, I am looking at the whirlpool sensation elite model.

Thanks..

i bought an IFB senator 6 kgs from Croma

the MRP was 25k+

they were selling it for 22490/-, i got rs 1000 discount for my old machine, 5 % cash back/discount for using icici debit card, two scratch cards from croma, one scratch card form IFB(got rs 250/- cash back and one coffee maker.

croma is running very good offers till december 31st. the actual price i ended up paying was only around 20250/-

as far as IFB is concerend they are the leaders in front loading washing machines as i had used electrolux f/l but did not even last for 5 years.

this is the best deal i have got till date.

the variety you get at croma is too good.

Mansi
Old 3rd November 2007, 15:26   #35
BHPian

please suggest Siemens or Whirlpool or IFB washing machine, i need to buy before diwali, Siemens is on the costlier side, but i hear its VFM, great machine with no noise.

suggestions and advise please.
Old 3rd November 2007, 20:52   #36
BHPian

How is the LG WM cum 100% drier unit? I ahve been looking at a drier but there's not too many options apart from IFB.

On the refrigerators, I did some research and decided to splurge some money since the refrigerators are expected to last something like 10 years. So I bought a Hitachi 440 ltr. unit and I think it's a wonderful piece of design and engineering. Wife loves it. For the folks who like to enjoy their drinks on the rocks, there's a neat little ice maker as well :-)
Old 3rd November 2007, 21:21   #37
BHPian

Which Microwave Oven?

Hello,

I am planning to buy a microwave this Diwali. I have shortlisted 26L LG Convection model? How good is a convection type one in LG? Is Samsung better? Feature wise both looks same except that Samsung has scratch proof ceramic coating inside.

Nirmal
Old 4th November 2007, 18:19   #38
BHPian

hey, model no.s for the wm would be helpful

I have been reading some not so good comments about ifb machines online. how is the after sales service of ifb? as of now, i have short listed on the whirlpool sensation series. any comments on this?

thanks..
Old 9th December 2007, 01:38   #39
BHPian

coming to refrigerators my 2 year old daewoo 125L is about to be moved cauz it cannot handle the extra load.So we are in the look out and had almost decied on the hitachi 300L,,until we saw a TOSHIBA 400L. The door is made of tempered glass and is very very spacious. Anybody having any reviews on the Toshiba refrigerators??
Old 9th December 2007, 01:53   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmalts View Post
Hello,

I am planning to buy a microwave this Diwali. I have shortlisted 26L LG Convection model? How good is a convection type one in LG? Is Samsung better? Feature wise both looks same except that Samsung has scratch proof ceramic coating inside.

Nirmal
You won't use the convection feature if you don't normally use a conventional oven, so do consider if the dishes you cook make it worth the extra money for this.

Like my microwave has a grill: I have never used it!
Old 9th December 2007, 08:38   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Buy an oven that's sufficiently big, and with sufficient power. Check for any classes that some of these companies (manufacturers) conduct, join the classes, and then decide which features you want.
Old 9th December 2007, 10:52   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Gosh! I'm not saying I wouldn't learn anything, but I don't think a microwave is such a big deal that one needs classes before buying one!

But for complete newbies, perhaps we can throw together some pointers. I'll start:

--- you cannot fry in a microwave. Keep any oil-based cooking to traditional methods.

--- microwaves are useless at browning. They will cook your roast chicken, but not brown the skin. Combination ovens with convection included, and, to a lesser extent, grills, make this possible, but this is only really useful for those who cook western-style oven-roasted stuff.

--- microwaves are very good at steaming. Use an appropriate microwave vessel, with just a little water in it, to quickly cook your vegetables. Again, more appropriate to non-indian cooking, perhaps.

--- microwaves are very good at heating stuff up, but make sure a little water is there.

--- Never put anything metal in your microwave. You risk causing a fire. There are techniques for using small pieces of foil; please see the manual before experimenting. Even a metalic design on a plate can cause a shower of sparks.

--- You need to give time for heat to spread throughout the food, usually one minute 'standing time' before serving.

I'm sure there's more. Reading the manual is a good start .

My everyday uses for a microwave: Making Chai; make sure, when boiling liquids, to use a very big jug to prevent boiling over. Steaming rice (in a special rice steamer); actually a pressure cooker is quicker, but this is simpler, Steaming green veg. Reheating food.
Old 9th December 2007, 10:54   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

And don't microwave CDs unless that oven's next stop is the dump.

I've never done this, but a quick google will tell you why one might be tempted!!!!
Old 9th December 2007, 11:08   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thad E Ginathom : Gosh! I'm not saying I wouldn't learn anything, but I don't think a microwave is such a big deal that one needs classes before buying one!
Thad, it's just that Indian food tastes best when it is done traditionally - and for this, cooking on a LPG burning stove also doesnt come close. Microwaves are convinient, but IMO, are not meant for cooking Indian dishes.

And a quick example - rice. I have cooked India grown rice in US, and it worked perfect. I am trying the same variety of rice in a Panasonic microwave here in BLR, and it comes out very different. Not close.

Another problem is that the salesmen dont really know what they are selling. They will promise things which will set wrong expectations in the minds of the customer.

If the user is only going to heat stuff, re-warm things taken out of the fridge, anything will do. If he is going to bake stuff - add a few more feautures. But if you're going to cook, then look before you immerse it into the waves. Hence the point to attend a short cooking class before buying it.
Old 9th December 2007, 14:03   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes, you are right. Salesman like to tell us that their gizmo will solve our problems, but it is not necessarily the case.

Take the starting point of many a dish: heat some oil in a pan, throw in mustard seeds. Just not applicable in a microwave! All those dishes stay on the cooker, and that is a great part of Indian food.

Even chai tastes better cooked on the stove --- just I've got in the habit of using the microwave.

I have a rice steamer with an inner container. You start with the water covering the rice so that it boils, and as the water is absorbed it slowly changes to steaming. It makes nice, light rice, not stuck together and not wet. It is my favourite way of cooking rice. My wife prefers to use the pressure cooker! The ubiquitous electric rice cooker, to be found in the kitchen of ever London Indian makes, I think, the worse rice, turning it into a solid block!

So. Does an Indian kitchen need a microwave?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks